Agencies Which Notify All Their Translators of Incoming Jobs in a Particular Language Pair
Thread poster: Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:15
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2021

I would like to know how to find translation agencies which work according to the following principle: Send job notifications to all translators on the agency’s list and give a job to the translator who has responded first.

Perhaps it will be easier for me to get jobs in such agencies, because getting a job in these agencies depends on the promptness of one's reply rather than on the administrator’s choice of a particular translator for a certain job.

In the past, I
... See more
I would like to know how to find translation agencies which work according to the following principle: Send job notifications to all translators on the agency’s list and give a job to the translator who has responded first.

Perhaps it will be easier for me to get jobs in such agencies, because getting a job in these agencies depends on the promptness of one's reply rather than on the administrator’s choice of a particular translator for a certain job.

In the past, I was registered in such an agency, and it sent me notifications of incoming jobs in my language pair. When I responded quickly, I was offered a job immediately.

Do you know of a list of agencies where jobs are given in this way?
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
No one shares Oct 10, 2021

Unless they think a particular agency is too crappy/cheap/unreliable.

Because that would just make more people compete at clicking with them.

Jorge Payan
Mr. Satan (X)

Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Russian Federation
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Qualified Translators Oct 10, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Unless they think a particular agency is too crappy/cheap/unreliable.

Because that would just make more people compete at clicking with them.

Yes, this is logical. But highly qualified translators do not work for such agencies and therefore will lose nothing if they recommend how to find such agencies or if they name some of them. I will be satisfied at least to find a number of low-paying agencies in which it is easier to get jobs.

[Edited at 2021-10-10 18:32 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Click-hunting Oct 11, 2021

I'll give you (the OP) two or three in PM.

Although I have to admit that, on the contrary, I much prefer it when project managers have the courtesy to offer me exclusive access to a project within a reasonable time frame (unless very urgent) and the possibility of discussing the deadline and project specifics and enjoy some human intelligence and communication, instead of having to play the mini-game of click-hunting for projects like a monkey or mechanical Turk in one or several pl
... See more

Although I have to admit that, on the contrary, I much prefer it when project managers have the courtesy to offer me exclusive access to a project within a reasonable time frame (unless very urgent) and the possibility of discussing the deadline and project specifics and enjoy some human intelligence and communication, instead of having to play the mini-game of click-hunting for projects like a monkey or mechanical Turk in one or several platforms on top of my translation work...

I have no time for this s***t...

[Edited at 2021-10-11 06:44 GMT]
Collapse

Ludovicap
Aurélie Charvet
Philippe Etienne
Robert Forstag
Kevin Fulton
Christine Andersen
Kay Denney

Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Russian Federation
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agencies With Mass Mailing Oct 12, 2021

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Thank you. I have not received a private message. There is a "Send email" button on my profile which can be used.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
The deadest of dead ends Oct 12, 2021

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Although I have to admit that, on the contrary, I much prefer it when project managers have the courtesy to offer me exclusive access to a project within a reasonable time frame (unless very urgent) and the possibility of discussing the deadline and project specifics and enjoy some human intelligence and communication, instead of having to play the mini-game of click-hunting for projects like a monkey or mechanical Turk in one or several platforms on top of my translation work...

I have no time for this s***t...

[Edited at 2021-10-11 06:44 GMT]

I couldn't agree more. I cannot stand receiving e-mails with the salutations "Dear Linguist," "Dear Valued Vendor," "Dear Colleague," or - worst of all - "Dear
."

Even if you luck out and end up getting assigned a project from such a cattle-call procedure, this way of operating by definition cannot serve as a basis for long-term collaboration. Because next time, maybe someone beats you to the punch and/or offers a lower rate.

But - you may protest - I will so dazzle them with the quality of my translation that they will surely end up giving me the individual treatment and professional deference that I crave, personally addressing e-mails to me, and even waiting a couple of hours for me to respond.

Good luck with that!

[Edited at 2021-10-13 10:52 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Jean Dimitriadis
Kay Denney
Christopher Schröder

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Removed as requested by poster
Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Russian Federation
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Getting Jobs Oct 13, 2021

Thank you for sharing your views. But I want to try working for such agencies at the moment because I do not have formal education in translation and enough experience to mention in my resume. As a result, normal agencies and direct clients do not want to give me jobs. So I have few options and for the time being have to try to get established through the agencies which work according to the principle described in the current discussion.

I have passed translation tests in some agenc
... See more
Thank you for sharing your views. But I want to try working for such agencies at the moment because I do not have formal education in translation and enough experience to mention in my resume. As a result, normal agencies and direct clients do not want to give me jobs. So I have few options and for the time being have to try to get established through the agencies which work according to the principle described in the current discussion.

I have passed translation tests in some agencies but have not got any jobs from them yet, perhaps because I do not have some special skills to offer them.

How would you recommend me to start getting jobs without education in translation and much experience?

My resume: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-qOaW7mdXuSU5h5BvT28lht0QP0luQtq/view?usp=sharing
Collapse

Ludovicap
Ludovicap
Germany
Local time: 18:15
German to Italian
+ ...
Even those agencies offer a translation test Oct 14, 2021

Vlad Kotenko wrote:

I have passed translation tests in some agencies but have not got any jobs from them yet, perhaps because I do not have some special skills to offer them.

How would you recommend me to start getting jobs without education in translation and much experience?

My resume: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-qOaW7mdXuSU5h5BvT28lht0QP0luQtq/view?usp=sharing

Hi,

I think that even those agencies will let you do a translation test and upload your CV. This is at least a standard procedure, in my opinion. And, if you pass the tests there too, you just need to wait for the projects to arrive!
Each translation agency is different, so I would suggest you to first look at how their allocation system works (you will not be every time the first one receiving the project, even though the concept of the agency is as such).

Once you are informed about it and feel sure to apply for that specific freelance position, just do it and wait for a reply!

I wish you good luck!

Vlad Kotenko
Vlad Kotenko
Russian Federation
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Waiting Period Oct 15, 2021

I think that even those agencies will let you do a translation test and upload your CV. This is at least a standard procedure, in my opinion. And, if you pass the tests there too, you just need to wait for the projects to arrive!

I can see now that it is necessary to register with and pass tests from many agencies in order to receive more jobs, because some agencies may not send jobs for a long time.

Ludovicap

Ludovicap
Ludovicap
Germany
Local time: 18:15
German to Italian
+ ...
Correct Oct 15, 2021

Vlad Kotenko wrote:

I can see now that it is necessary to register with and pass tests from many agencies in order to receive more jobs, because some agencies may not send jobs for a long time.

That is correct. If you wish to have a workflow, I would suggest you to not focus on only one, as you may wait for a really long time or even forever.
Apply at as many as you can, pass their tests and wait for a project to arrive.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies Which Notify All Their Translators of Incoming Jobs in a Particular Language Pair

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »