What is a good starting salary for German-fluent people in Montreal?
Thread poster: Emburii
Emburii
Emburii
United States
Local time: 21:31
English
May 11, 2014

I apologize for the American intrusion, but I wanted to get the opinions of a group that would have an informed opinion on this.

I am wondering what a good salary would be for the Canadian city of Montreal, or what Germans feel would be an acceptable rate for an entry-level position in Montreal with little qualification except for German and good people skills. This is for videogamers, although that is not a skill so much as a hobby. What would convince you, as German profession
... See more
I apologize for the American intrusion, but I wanted to get the opinions of a group that would have an informed opinion on this.

I am wondering what a good salary would be for the Canadian city of Montreal, or what Germans feel would be an acceptable rate for an entry-level position in Montreal with little qualification except for German and good people skills. This is for videogamers, although that is not a skill so much as a hobby. What would convince you, as German professionals, to suggest this job to friends and family who play the videogames? No executive or management experience, just the language and the ability to deal well with people? If this were your project, what would you consider reasonable to pay between the need for success in the venture and respect of the linguistic skills?

Thank you for your time.
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 03:31
English to German
A job for a translator? For an interpreter? For ... May 12, 2014

Emburii wrote:

What would convince you, as German professionals, to suggest this job to friends and family who play the videogames? No executive or management experience, just the language and the ability to deal well with people?

Apparently you are thinking of a translator's job, but you didn't state that. "Linguistic skills" (what does that mean anyway?) doesn't imply any ability to do translations.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:31
German to English
+ ...
You'd probably do better by checking out May 12, 2014

game industry salaries at a recruitment website like Monster, doing a Google search using something like "games industry salaries" for the search or posting your question in some game forums. The people using this (US-based) site are primarily freelance translators and interpreters from all over the world (not just Germany, as you seem to think), and not in salaried positions. In addition, the jobs posted here are almost exclusively one-time, short-term assignments for freelancers, not salaried ... See more
game industry salaries at a recruitment website like Monster, doing a Google search using something like "games industry salaries" for the search or posting your question in some game forums. The people using this (US-based) site are primarily freelance translators and interpreters from all over the world (not just Germany, as you seem to think), and not in salaried positions. In addition, the jobs posted here are almost exclusively one-time, short-term assignments for freelancers, not salaried positions, so this is not really the right place for your questions.Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What is a good starting salary for German-fluent people in Montreal?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »