Bulgaria
Local time: 02:23
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Aug 1, 2012

Dear All,

I have completed my first big project in DJV X2. I am a long-time user of Trados, and I also use MemoQ, and a multitude of other 'smaller' tools, so I am not a novice to the idea of CAT tools, translation memories, termbases, etc.

I have come across several functions/areas that may still need more work and I have listed them below. This can also be treated as a wishlist for a future version of DJV.

1. Introduce whitespace visualization. This is pa
... See more
Dear All,

I have completed my first big project in DJV X2. I am a long-time user of Trados, and I also use MemoQ, and a multitude of other 'smaller' tools, so I am not a novice to the idea of CAT tools, translation memories, termbases, etc.

I have come across several functions/areas that may still need more work and I have listed them below. This can also be treated as a wishlist for a future version of DJV.

1. Introduce whitespace visualization. This is paramount, as professional translators need it (their best paying customers require it). It is also (most probably) quite easy to implement.

2. Introduce way to make font bigger in Autosearch windows (Segments and Portions). I work on a 22-inch monitor and the default text in said windows is simply too small to see.

3. It would be nice if a term entered with a capital, could also be automatically rectognized in the source and offered by Autowrite with a small letter.

4. Spell-checking should be done in real-time (while typing – or after you stop typing and 2 seconds have passed, like in Trados Studio). Even Microsoft Word has this function.

5. It would be nice if DVX could underline, highlight or otherwise mark recognized terms in the source (like in Trados Studio). If not I have to always check in the AutoSearch - Portions window to see which are the recognized terms and what translations have been offered.

6. When a note is attached to a portion of the translated text (one, two or several words), those words should be highlighted or otherwise marked (like in Trados Stuido). Currently, only a black "!" sign is put to the left of the segment, but segments are sometimes large and it is difficult to see which part of the segment the note applies to.

7. DVX is an "underdog" as compared to Trados with regards to current sales. This, among other things, means that most translators use it as a second CAT tool (this is my situation as well). If Atril is to entice SDL customers, they should do importing SDL translation memories and termbases a breeze. Right now it is a somewhat tedious process and DVX often crashes while doing it, even the latest version.

8. If the source says for example 'term' (as part of a bulleted list, but not followed by a comma – which is a mistake), and the target contains both the translated word and a comma, then autowrite will later suggest the target word with a comma. This needs to be changed.

9. Is it possible to export the finished translation for just one of two files in a project (just the translation, not a table with side to side source and target)? If not, this should be implemented.

10. Is there a function available like the 'Review' and 'Sign off' in Trados (segments are checked manually by the reviewer and marked with a different sign)? This is important, because when I review work in DJV x2, there is no way to tell which segments have been reviewed – and which not.

11. When doing Find and Replace, it would be helpful if DJV could return information on how many substitutions have been made (if any).

12. Why cannot Google Translate and Microsoft Translator be used simultaneously like in Trados?

13. There seem to be problems with the spell-checker (at least for Bulgarian). It starts up very slowly. Once started, the button "Add" does not work and all I can do is "Ignore", which also means that in a project, consisting of several files, I will have to ignore the same words over and over again, not being able to add them.

Kind Regards,
PTs

[Edited at 2012-08-01 18:13 GMT]
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:23
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Some solutions already exist. Aug 1, 2012

2. Introduce way to make font bigger in Autosearch windows (Segments and Portions). I work on a 22-inch monitor and the default text in said windows is simply too small to see.

Solution already exists:

Go to Tools > Options > Display. For each language in your language pair, change the "Window Type" from primary to secondary, then click "Change" and select a larger font size.

5. It would be nice if DVX could underline, highlight or otherwise mark recognized terms in the source (like in Trados Studio). If not I have to always check in the AutoSearch - Portions window to see which are the recognized terms and what translations have been offered.

I'm puzzled. Don't you set your Options to "assemble"? In case of multiple possible selections, the term most recently used will display in a different color (in my DVX2, it shows as blue), and right clicking on the underlined term with display all the other options already used in previous translations.

9. Is it possible to export the finished translation for just one of two files in a project (just the translation, not a table with side to side source and target)? If not, this should be implemented.

It already exists: go to Project Explorer window on right hand side of DV. Right click on file to be exported and select "Export translated file. Or do you mean some other function?

10. Is there a function available like the 'Review' and 'Sign off' in Trados (segments are checked manually by the reviewer and marked with a different sign)? This is important, because when I review work in DJV x2, there is no way to tell which segments have been reviewed – and which not.

Use bookmark???

Etienne Tessier
Etienne Tessier
Local time: 01:23
English to French
+ ...
Thank you for your message(s) Aug 9, 2012

Dear Pavel,

Thank you for sharing your expectations.
As Yolanda wrote (thank you, by the way), some solutions already exist for some of them.
For the rest, most of the things you're pointing out are to be fixed/implemented in the future builds.

1. Introduce whitespace visualization. This is paramount, as professional translators need it (their best paying customers require it). It is also (most probably) quite easy to implement.

... See more
Dear Pavel,

Thank you for sharing your expectations.
As Yolanda wrote (thank you, by the way), some solutions already exist for some of them.
For the rest, most of the things you're pointing out are to be fixed/implemented in the future builds.

You are right, and this is being developed and soon to be released.

If Atril is to entice SDL customers, they should do importing SDL translation memories and termbases a breeze. Right now it is a somewhat tedious process and DVX often crashes while doing it, even the latest version.

I'm surprised. If you encouter issues with it, submit a request at [email protected]

12. Why cannot Google Translate and Microsoft Translator be used simultaneously like in Trados?

This will be possible soon.

13. There seem to be problems with the spell-checker (at least for Bulgarian). It starts up very slowly. Once started, the button "Add" does not work and all I can do is "Ignore", which also means that in a project, consisting of several files, I will have to ignore the same words over and over again, not being able to add them.

Thank you for this. I'll report it to our developpers.

Best regards,

Etienne
Atril Support
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Some more items for the wishlist Aug 9, 2012

As a new DVX2 user, I would also like to add some more items to the wishlist (although I find them very crucial and would like to see most of them implemented in the very near future):

- Allow for accented Greek letters to be used in the comments dialog box and in the add terms dialog box.

- Eliminate the bug which happens when I press Alt+Down/Up/Left/Right and then begin typing my translation (in Greek), but the first character I type doesn't show up.

- A
... See more
As a new DVX2 user, I would also like to add some more items to the wishlist (although I find them very crucial and would like to see most of them implemented in the very near future):

- Allow for accented Greek letters to be used in the comments dialog box and in the add terms dialog box.

- Eliminate the bug which happens when I press Alt+Down/Up/Left/Right and then begin typing my translation (in Greek), but the first character I type doesn't show up.

- Add the option to export source comments in an External View RTF, so I can send this file to the client with any queries I might have. I want to export a set of comments/queries for the client and a different one for the reviser of my translation.

- Add the ability to distinguish between a Finished and a Proofed segment (like memoQ does with the distinction between a single and a double check-mark).

- Allow the user to specify the boundary between a word's stem and its suffix, because automatic fuzzy recognition is pretty useless for languages like Greek (too many false positives in AutoSearch portions and during QA checks).

- Add a simple highlighter tool (with a couple of different colours), so I can mark the words and phrases that I want to look up when I am done reading the entire source text.
Collapse

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
wishes and errors Aug 9, 2012

Pavel, I hope you don't mind my 3 cents added in your forum.

My short wish list:
- although Polish diacritics appear properly in a comment box in a DVX project, they are all messed up in a MS word file after exporting a project. This really becomes annoying and time-consuming (i.e. correcting in a word file) if a list of comments is long.

Additionally, two annoying problems:
1) when closing DVX, either by 'exit' from the pull-down menu or 'x', an error mes
... See more
Pavel, I hope you don't mind my 3 cents added in your forum.

My short wish list:
- although Polish diacritics appear properly in a comment box in a DVX project, they are all messed up in a MS word file after exporting a project. This really becomes annoying and time-consuming (i.e. correcting in a word file) if a list of comments is long.

Additionally, two annoying problems:
1) when closing DVX, either by 'exit' from the pull-down menu or 'x', an error message often appears (saying something that DVX was not closed properly).
2) when my cursor is in a target segment and I want to delete some characters or words (from that segment) using the DEL key, the cursor often automatically moves to a source segment and deletes characters from there.
Has any of you observed these two problems too? (Hope you know what mean.)
thank you, regards, Ewa

[Edited at 2012-08-09 20:42 GMT]
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Another 3 cents Aug 9, 2012

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak) wrote:

2) when my cursor is in a target segment and I want to delete some characters or words (from that segment) using the DEL key, the cursor often automatically moves to a source segment and deletes characters from there.
Has any of you observed these two problems too? (Hope you know what mean.)
thank you, regards, Ewa

Yes, I have. I appreciate the ability to edit source segments (though I haven't ever needed to do so), but there should really be an option to lock it, and only unlock it when needed.

DVX2 crashing with TTX files—I've recently discovered that shutting down Firefox and Outlook before importing TTX files helps. This could apply to other browsers as well. It doesn't always help, but I've found it useful.

I would really like DVX2 to be more selective when importing DOC/DOCX files with regard to some useless codes like codes for spelling errors. It would also be great if there was at least some WYSIWIG formatting, like bold, italics, underline, colours etc instead.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
And what about including numerals? Aug 10, 2012

I know it is still a long time until Christmas, but I would appreciate to get a button to take over numerals manually from the source segment into the target like, yes, like in Trados. It would be such a relief...thanks!

Matthias

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Make Deep Miner work incrementally, while 'waiting' for translator to review assembled segment Aug 10, 2012

Thank you Yolanda & All,

for your time and comments. This discussion is far from finished of course.

And to get things rolling, here is another interesting proposal:

Currently, Deep Miner, Machine Translation, AutoAssemble work SLOWLY, when the segment is confirmed. So time is waisted to review/rewrite the segment, and then – to wait for DJV engines to figure out what could be done with the next segment.

Why not make Deep Miner, Machine Trans
... See more
Thank you Yolanda & All,

for your time and comments. This discussion is far from finished of course.

And to get things rolling, here is another interesting proposal:

Currently, Deep Miner, Machine Translation, AutoAssemble work SLOWLY, when the segment is confirmed. So time is waisted to review/rewrite the segment, and then – to wait for DJV engines to figure out what could be done with the next segment.

Why not make Deep Miner, Machine Translation, AutoAssemble work in the period of time when (from the standpoint of DJV) nothing is going on, that is the translator is working on his own, editing the current assembled segment?

Then, when the key combination for the confirmation of the segment is finally pressed, calculations could be slightly amended, as a result of the freshly inserted segment, but that should not be crucial.
Collapse

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
DVX2 8.0.580 Aug 17, 2012

It seems the bug has been fixed with this update. I have not had any AppCrash so far.

1) when closing DVX, either by 'exit' from the pull-down menu or 'x', an error message often appears (saying something that DVX was not closed properly).

[Edited at 2012-08-17 23:40 GMT]

Pavel Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
The most urgent functional upgrades... Aug 28, 2012

When reading through all comments in this thread, I feel the most important features to implement would be (not in the sequence of importance):

1. Spell-checking in real time (Trados has it), and ironing out the rest of the spellchecking glitches, mentioned above.
2. White space characters (Trados and even Word have it).
3. The ability to mark proofed segments differently from translated segments. (MemoQ has it; Trados has sth even better: a 3-tier system – translated,
... See more
When reading through all comments in this thread, I feel the most important features to implement would be (not in the sequence of importance):

1. Spell-checking in real time (Trados has it), and ironing out the rest of the spellchecking glitches, mentioned above.
2. White space characters (Trados and even Word have it).
3. The ability to mark proofed segments differently from translated segments. (MemoQ has it; Trados has sth even better: a 3-tier system – translated, proofread, signed-off).
4. Underlining or marking in the source segment the terms found (MemoQ and Trados have it).
5. THIS IS NEW: Add to DJV X2 Workgroup features that make it stand apart and would warrant a buy. Right now, Pro already has 99% of all important feature.

Kind Regards,
PTs

[Edited at 2012-08-28 20:09 GMT]
Collapse

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
DVX2 8.0.580 Aug 29, 2012

quoi wrote:

It seems the bug has been fixed with this update. I have not had any AppCrash so far.

[Edited at 2012-08-17 23:40 GMT]

Thank you Quoi! I'm a bit behind with updates (8.0.555), because I was working on a large project and didn't want to take a risk. I'm going to update this week.
Ewa

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
AppCrash still happens Aug 29, 2012

Just not as frequent. Atril advises it has something to do with Microsoft Jet Database Engine. Hope they will iron out niggly bits like this.

quoi wrote:

Pavel Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Déjà vu x2 lagging behind... Nov 8, 2012

Dear All,

1). I have installed MemoQ v6 today and it does have the option to 'show non-printing characters' (essentially, the ability to visualize white spaces). Trados has had that for a while, so currently Déjà vu x2 remains the only big player, which cannot visualize white spaces (or non-printing characters).

As a reminder: all major clients like Google, Microsoft, etc. require you to check for double spaces, and consider the presence of those to be an error.
... See more
Dear All,

1). I have installed MemoQ v6 today and it does have the option to 'show non-printing characters' (essentially, the ability to visualize white spaces). Trados has had that for a while, so currently Déjà vu x2 remains the only big player, which cannot visualize white spaces (or non-printing characters).

As a reminder: all major clients like Google, Microsoft, etc. require you to check for double spaces, and consider the presence of those to be an error.

Now, one can argue that neither Google, nor Microsoft use Déjà vu for their translation assignments, but this is just a measure of strict quality control, which, at this point, is difficult to implement and impossible to do in real time with the current version of Déjà vu x2. This is a major drawback.

2). The lack of on-the-fly spell checking (implemented long ago in Trados with the invoking of Word spellchecker (the best option), and possible in MemoQ through the usage of Hunspell) also puts Déjà vu x2 in third place. This is a major drawback.

3) The lack of proofing visualization (no way to tell if a confirmed segment has been proofread or not) – and which Trados has had for 2-3 years now – makes proofing work in Déjà vu x2 a difficult task. This is a major drawback.

4). And last, but not least, Atril refuses to make its development road map public (I was told this point blank at one of the last www.proz.com events by one of Atril's representatives in their booth). This is very Atril-like, but does not help any little bit its loyal customers (like me) or the (hopefully) thousands of prospective customers that would like to know what they are investing in. Just wondering why they would refer to it as 'road map', if no one can actually see it and use it for orientation?

Kind Regards,
Pavel Tsvetkov

[Edited at 2012-11-08 10:53 GMT]
Collapse

Pavel Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
. Nov 13, 2012

A week passes and there has been no comment from Atril, no clarification, no promise. It is almost as though the company does not exist, or the concerns of its customers are non-existent to it.

It is what it has always been: a relatively stable, but somewhat lacking software solution; a puzzling marketing technique, and a total lack of communication.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
This is not the official support page Nov 13, 2012

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

A week passes and there has been no comment from Atril, no clarification, no promise. It is almost as though the company does not exist, or the concerns of its customers are non-existent to it.

It is what it has always been: a relatively stable, but somewhat lacking software solution; a puzzling marketing technique, and a total lack of communication.

Hi Pavel,

As you know this is not the official support page of Atril, possibly they do not even read this forum. http://helpdesk.atril.com/ is where you can submit tickets for support and may be for feature requests.

You can add an SQL filter to check double spaces.

Source or Target segments with double spaces

Source LIKE "* *" OR Target_XXXX LIKE "* *"

Please note that there should be two spaces between the asterisk signs.

I use SQL filters for any other non-printing symbols as well.

Kind regards,
Selcuk

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DJV X2 areas to improve (wishlist)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »