What do you think of this translation?
Thread poster: Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Local time: 16:30
Chinese to English
+ ...
Apr 6, 2006

這次清明節,剛剛結束了我第一次的回鄉下掃墓拜祖先,發現了原來有這麼多的講究,還發現了一個有趣的翻譯。就是在燒給祖先的紙錢上,除了金額有上百億這麼巨額之外,有趣的是上面印的英文內容 - "Hell bank note"

It sounds like everybody's ancestors must be living in "HELL", for the word "hell" is polysemic. It coud refer to Hades as well as eternal punishment.

Given the fact that it con
... See more
這次清明節,剛剛結束了我第一次的回鄉下掃墓拜祖先,發現了原來有這麼多的講究,還發現了一個有趣的翻譯。就是在燒給祖先的紙錢上,除了金額有上百億這麼巨額之外,有趣的是上面印的英文內容 - "Hell bank note"

It sounds like everybody's ancestors must be living in "HELL", for the word "hell" is polysemic. It coud refer to Hades as well as eternal punishment.

Given the fact that it concerns hundreds of millions of Chinese people, therefore should we offer an alternative? So what do you think?

BTW, I don't mean Joseph Campbell's theories on mythos. I mean just the translation.
Collapse

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
Interesting! Apr 6, 2006

Angus Woo wrote:

Given the fact that it concerns hundreds of millions of Chinese people, therefore should we offer an alternative? So what do you think?

BTW, I don't mean Joseph Campbell's theories on mythos. I mean just the translation.

This must be an interesting thread! Even 冥钱 has an English version on it? But what for? This practice has of course not been propagated to English-speaking cultures.

In my opinion, there should be no English translation at all. But in regards to the word itself, HELL BANK NOTE is certainly not accurate.

However, in Chinese culture people do believe when a person dies, he/she will go to 地狱. So we sometimes say 某人见阎王爷去了. Is there a "Paradise" for in Chinese culture? I am not sure.

Back to the translation again. If we insist that English or whatever other languages to be printed on those pieces of paper. How about using Burnt Money (from Burnt Sacrifice in Bible)?

#41698 (LSF)
#41698 (LSF)
Malaysia
Japanese to English
+ ...
God of Wealth Apr 6, 2006

This note is issued by the God of Wealth.
Legal tender in the Kingdom of . . . . . . . .

At least "Joss Money" (from joss stick aka incense stick) is still better than "Hell Banknote".

[Edited at 2006-04-06 17:53]

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:30
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hell bank Apr 6, 2006

這些香港人稱為『陰司紙』的東西,上面是印有『冥通銀行』的字樣,意思是由陰間地府銀行發行的流通貨幣,要有較好的翻譯,那得要問那銀行的總裁了。愈來愈覺得翻譯是一件苦差,特別是有文化內涵的翻譯更難。

Xu Dongjun
Xu Dongjun  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
发现纸钱也有这么大差别 Apr 7, 2006

偶见过的纸钱上面好像没字呀...就是剪了很多碎花纹的纸片,有点像艺术剪纸...

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
香港是有陰司紙的說法 Apr 7, 2006

還有 "溪錢",也是祭典故者時用的。

只是內地翻譯成"Hell bank note",有些讓人訝異。難不成內地的中國人都認為自己的祖先們也懂英文,而且還都生活在 Hell 那樣一個地方?

哪天經過元寶蠟燭店,要看看香港本地是怎們印的。不拜神還真的不知道這些東西去什麼地方買。看到了就告訴大家。

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you think of this translation?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »