Verenigde Staten
Local time: 13:23
Chinees naar Engels
+ ...
Well-off vs. Wealthy Apr 8, 2013

Loise wrote:

法国现任总统对富人的定义:

月入4000欧元以上。

Well, I think François Hollande's words were wealth started at that level. To me it simply means that people with gross income under that level shouldn't be subject to a significant tax burden.

€4000/month equates to about an annual income of $62,480, which is well over the poverty line over here, and considered a decent income by most people. Of course that also depends on one's family size and where one is in life.

The way progressive taxation works, there's always an approximate level where you start incurring a sizable tax bite out of your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income). I just checked in the US Internal Revenue Service's 2012 tax table. For a single person with a taxable income of $52,730 (AGI ≈ $62,480), the federal tax liability is $9,211 - not too bad, but also not a negligible amount.

Roughly speaking, "taxable income = AGI - exemptions & deductions". The standard exemption & deduction for a single is $9750. Therefore for an AGI of $62,480, "taxable income = $62,480 - $9,750 = $52,730". According to the tax table of 2012, one would owe $9,211 on that. For a taxable income of $62,480 (AGI ≈ $72,230), one would owe $11,649.

I'm sure the French are taxed at a much higher rate. So I think you are doing the right thing trying to avoid getting into a higher tax bracket. At the same time, you also don't want to completely neglect building a nest egg for retirement. Although France has excellent social benefits for its citizens, IMO you never know with these things. Take the U.S. for example, two decades ago, it was the norm for people in this country to have a pension. But with many large corporations moving businesses offshore, this is no longer the case. While social security benefit is still secure as of now, it is always subject to potential cuts. You never know what could happen 20 or 30 years down the road.

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Chinees naar Engels
+ ...
According to this article, €4000/mo only represents a fairly decent level of income Apr 8, 2013

... not too much different from here in the U.S..

http://www.english.rfi.fr/france/20120229-french-press-review-29-february-2012

In a declaration which the right-wing daily Le Figaro says surprised everyone, Hollande proposes to tax France's super-rich at a rate of 75 per cent on earnings that surpass one million euros a year.

The paper says Hollande hopes to please the most left-wing of his potential supporters and present himself as "the candidate of the people", in contrast to his rival, President Nicolas Sarkozy, "the candidate of the rich".

The paper's editorial bellows that "War has been declared on 'the rich'." Evidently, the elevated tax would target around 3,000 people. For whom, Le Figaro says, few French people would shed a tear. However, the paper cautions that this is just the tip of the iceberg. First it'll be the super-rich, then the rich, then the less rich, then those who are neither rich nor poor, that's to say the middle class. Le Figaro tells readers that Hollande has said that "wealth" begins at an income of 4,000 euros a month.

[Edited at 2013-04-08 22:40 GMT]

Jean Chao
Jean Chao  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 11:23
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
proofreading/editing/review最正確的定義要問agency/client Apr 8, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

ysun wrote:

我的理解是 editing 时需要对照原文,而 proofreading 时则不需要。

同意这种理解。

我幾個不同客戶用同樣術語,但要求不一樣的審稿過程,但不論他們是否期望你嚴格對照中英文審稿,都會附上原文,所以,除非客戶特別要求不要對照英文,我的收費是包括對照原文在內的,不然有些翻譯錯誤如鯁在喉,不吐不快。

Jean Chao
Jean Chao  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 11:23
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
Humor me... Apr 8, 2013

ysun wrote:

Loise wrote:

粗略估计,我的翻译速度确实是每小时300字左右。理论上,翻译确实可以带来每月 5280 欧元的收入。但月入5280 欧元在法国算是高薪工作,会被政府视为“富人”,税很高。我私下估算,多交了税等于多了营业成本,营业成本高,等于实际收入减少,实际收入减少,等于每小时生产力降低,这意味着我的劳力价值降低。为了维持每小时生产力水平和我的劳力价值,并在法国维持一个具有税务优惠的地位,我刻意将年收入维持在33K欧元之内,所以目前刻意减少工作量,筛选客户,把将近1/3的工作时间用于其他活动。在法国的税制下,我不想靠翻译这样劳心劳力的工作进阶高薪阶层,因为靠翻译赚来的钱可都是幸苦钱!

[Edited at 2013-04-08 05:36 GMT]

在美国,我们也是多得多纳税,但“富人”的门槛没这么低,所以我们就不必因此而刻意减少工作量。

美國中產階級不但不需要刻意減少工作,還得設法另闢財源,不然單靠翻譯工作在美國大都市過日子是一大挑戰。而且中產階級是最被擠壓的一個族群,稅一毛跑不掉,社會福利一毛領不到,等到孩子要念大學時,發現你辛苦繳的各種稅金都用在春風化雨的低收入教育補助上--獎助學金也沒中產階級孩子的份。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
Apr 8, 2013

Jean@LA wrote:

proofreading/editing/review最正確的定義要問agency/client

不同客户、不同 PM 的理解都有可能不同。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
Humor Apr 8, 2013

Jean@LA wrote:

美國中產階級不但不需要刻意減少工作,還得設法另闢財源,不然單靠翻譯工作在美國大都市過日子是一大挑戰。而且中產階級是最被擠壓的一個族群,稅一毛跑不掉,社會福利一毛領不到,等到孩子要念大學時,發現你辛苦繳的各種稅金都用在春風化雨的低收入教育補助上--獎助學金也沒中產階級孩子的份。

是的,忙完儿辈,还要忙孙辈,子子孙孙是没有穷尽的。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
fairly decent income Apr 8, 2013

wherestip wrote:

€4000/month equates to about an annual income of $62,480, which is well over the poverty line over here, and considered a decent income by most people. Of course that also depends on one's family size and where one is in life.

$62,480 is a little higher than the average starting salary for 2012 engineering graduates ($61,913) in the United States.

http://www.shrm.org/hrdisciplines/compensation/Articles/Pages/2012-Graduate-Salaries.aspx

wherestip
Verenigde Staten
Chinees naar Engels
+ ...
Starting Salaries for College Grads Apr 8, 2013

Thanks for the reference, Yueyin.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
Computer Engineering Apr 9, 2013

Steve,

Your major is the hottest!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2013/01/24/college-degrees-with-the-highest-starting-salaries-2/

wherestip
Verenigde Staten
Chinees naar Engels
+ ...
turning back the clock Apr 9, 2013

ysun wrote:

Steve,

Your major is the hottest!

Thanks. But if I were to pick a major today, I would try for medical school. The jobs of medical doctors just simply can't be offshored.

Loise
Loise
Frankrijk
Local time: 20:23
Frans naar Chinees
+ ...
同意 Apr 9, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Loise wrote:

法国现任总统对富人的定义:

月入4000欧元以上。

Well, I think François Hollande's words were wealth started at that level. To me it simply means that people with gross income under that level shouldn't be subject to a significant tax burden.

The way progressive taxation works, there's always an approximate level where you start incurring a sizable tax bite out of your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income). I just checked in the US Internal Revenue Service's 2012 tax table. For a single person with a taxable income of $52,730 (AGI ≈ $62,480), the federal tax liability is $9,211 - not too bad, but also not a negligible amount.

Roughly speaking, "taxable income = AGI - exemptions & deductions". The standard exemption & deduction for a single is $9750. Therefore for an AGI of $62,480, "taxable income = $62,480 - $9,750 = $52,730". According to the tax table of 2012, one would owe $9,211 on that. For a taxable income of $62,480 (AGI ≈ $72,230), one would owe $11,649.

I'm sure the French are taxed at a much higher rate. So I think you are doing the right thing trying to avoid getting into a higher tax bracket. At the same time, you also don't want to completely neglect building a nest egg for retirement. Although France has excellent social benefits for its citizens, IMO you never know with these things. Take the U.S. for example, two decades ago, it was the norm for people in this country to have a pension. But with many large corporations moving businesses offshore, this is no longer the case. While social security benefit is still secure as of now, it is always subject to potential cuts. You never know what could happen 20 or 30 years down the road.

Hollande 说,月薪4000欧元就是富人,这不过是我们常拿来取笑左派的笑话。月入4000欧元确实只是个decent income而已。
我的计算是,如果我的年收入超过33K欧元,那么我必须转换职业身份,每年的税会至少增加3000欧元;如果超过40K欧元,我和先生两人都会各自增加16%的税。而且由于法国目前的公债和财政问题,税法一直在改变,政府一直增加课税名目,税务重担都落在年收入60 000欧元以上的人身上。因此,工作多而增加的收入会让我每小时的劳动价值(税后)降低几欧元到几近10欧元:如果目前我每小时税后的收入是24欧元,那么多工作,多交税的结果可能会让我每小时税后的收入变成只有20-14欧元而已,这会让我觉得白忙一场,何必呢?再加上目前翻译市场不利于提高翻译单价,只能满足于当前价格,所以,我打算抱着观望态度,不急于增加工作量,等过一两年以后再说。

Loise
Loise
Frankrijk
Frans naar Chinees
+ ...
我也是 Apr 9, 2013

Jean@LA wrote:

ysun wrote:

Loise wrote:

粗略估计,我的翻译速度确实是每小时300字左右。理论上,翻译确实可以带来每月 5280 欧元的收入。但月入5280 欧元在法国算是高薪工作,会被政府视为“富人”,税很高。我私下估算,多交了税等于多了营业成本,营业成本高,等于实际收入减少,实际收入减少,等于每小时生产力降低,这意味着我的劳力价值降低。为了维持每小时生产力水平和我的劳力价值,并在法国维持一个具有税务优惠的地位,我刻意将年收入维持在33K欧元之内,所以目前刻意减少工作量,筛选客户,把将近1/3的工作时间用于其他活动。在法国的税制下,我不想靠翻译这样劳心劳力的工作进阶高薪阶层,因为靠翻译赚来的钱可都是幸苦钱!

[Edited at 2013-04-08 05:36 GMT]

在美国,我们也是多得多纳税,但“富人”的门槛没这么低,所以我们就不必因此而刻意减少工作量。

从来没有补助,只有缴不完的税。

Loise
Loise
Frankrijk
Frans naar Chinees
+ ...
翻译收入也不错 Apr 9, 2013

欧美目前经济不好,和其他行业的人相比,做翻译这一行的人可说相当幸运(如果有客户的话^^)。

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 14:23
Lid 2005
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
刚做完一个3000字的EDITING Apr 9, 2013

这是我给PM的反馈:

I have carefully reviewed the translation against its source text and there is not a single word that needs to be changed. This is an excellent piece.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 14:23
Lid 2005
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
上礼拜做过一个没有SOURCE的文件的PROOFREADING Apr 9, 2013

找PM要,她不给,说客户要求PROOFREADER不能看原文,

这省了我至少1/3的时间,6小时完成,$480 PAY,还可以吧,

这行业什么情况都有,不能只会CONVERT TEXT。要学会怎样去针对各种情况才好。

Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

很破的翻译管理实践

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »