Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Oxford English Dictionary adds ‘Kewl’

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Oxford English Dictionary adds ‘Kewl’ ".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 15:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
fnarr fnarr fnarr Oct 3, 2011

Michael Beijer wrote:
fnarr fnarr fnarr' (exclamation, British informal): used to represent sniggering, typically at a sexual innuendo. E.g., 'That’s some package! (Said the bishop to the actress, fnarr fnarr)' [Origin: 1980s: perhaps imitative of the sound of suppressed laughter]

How unfortunate they didn't go the extra mile and give credit where credit's due: standup and be counted, the mighty VIZ!

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Thanks Sarah ... Oct 3, 2011

... but no cuzzing pleaze. Some of us are British.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The OED is even wrong about that Oct 3, 2011

Sarah Elizabeth Cree wrote:

For those who don't subscribe (or who didn't follow the proz.com link to the outline version of the dictionary entry), it's not listed as a new word.

In the OED it is listed (in the outline version of the entry) as "representing an affected or exaggerated pronunciation" of cool, which is true

From the news item, it seems that it has its own entry, not just a note under the entry for 'cool'.
Aside from that, it says 'kewl' represents an "affected or exaggerated pronunciation", i.e. that it's used to 'transcribe' a particular way of saying the word. In my experience, that's not true. It's an affected way of writing the word.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:54
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
That might be the reason... Oct 4, 2011

George Hopkins wrote:

... but no cuzzing pleaze. Some of us are British.

..why you mixed up various basic meanings?

"cuz" is short for "because", a "cuzzin" is a "cousin". Nobody was cursing here - that would be "cussing". Easy to distinguish by mere pronunciation, even if you are white and not very familiar with "Ebonics".

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:54
English
+ ...
badware and other jargon Oct 4, 2011

Michael Beijer wrote:

We might balk at words such as 'kewl', 'badware', 'facepalm', 'bridezilla', and 'glamping' being added, but wait until you are looking for some stupid marketing term, and you find that the Oxford team has in fact already defined it, clearly and succinctly, and made it easily accessible straight from inside a Google Chrome tab...

I’m not sure if anyone would object to “badware” though. It’s not even slang. I don’t think it’s in the interest of the OED, or any dictionary for that matter, to avoid technical terms.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:54
Member (2008)
Italian to English
or... Oct 4, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I never understood why people would like to be called Antwoine or Dezarai instead of Antoine or Desiree.

Will the OED also include "bloody ell" for "bloody hell"? That (without the 'h') is what came to my mind when I read the news.

or "Rebekkah"

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
That's closer to the original than the simplified and anglified "Rebecca" Oct 4, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

or "Rebekkah"

Rebekah
(Hebrew: רִבְקָה, Modern Rivkah Tiberian Riḇqāh ISO 259-3 Ribqa, from the Hebrew ribhqeh (lit., "connection"), from Semitic root r-b-q, "to tie, couple or join" or "to secure") appears in the Hebrew Bible as the wife of Isaac and the mother of Jacob and Esau. Rebecca and Isaac were one of the three couples buried in the Cave of the Patriarchs, the other two being Abraham and Sarah, and Jacob and Leah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
The yoke is on you Oct 4, 2011

Nichole wrote:
"cuz" is short for "because", a "cuzzin" is a "cousin". Nobody was cursing here - that would be "cussing". Easy to distinguish by mere pronunciation, even if you are white and not very familiar with "Ebonics".

You must be kidding? And I don't mean giving birth, cuz that's for goats and suchlike...

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
A single letter can make a huuuge difference. :-) Oct 6, 2011

George Hopkins wrote:

Nichole wrote:

Especially in "Nichole" (sounds like "Schacklin" for "Jaqueline") vs. the one and only correct spelling "Nicole"

Melissa McMahon
Melissa McMahon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:54
French to English
I'm delighted Oct 6, 2011

I always use "kewl" instead of "cool", for exactly the reasons and in exactly the sense the OED has spelled out. If it meant the same thing as "cool", then "cool" is what I would use.

Lexicographers are not gatekeepers of "correct usage", their role is descriptive and archival, not prescriptive.

Melissa

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Nicole Oct 6, 2011

Sorry about the 'h' Nicole. It was unintentional, and not at all kewl.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
kewl Oct 6, 2011

Melissa McMahon wrote:

I always use "kewl" instead of "cool", for exactly the reasons and in exactly the sense the OED has spelled out. If it meant the same thing as "cool", then "cool" is what I would use.
Melissa

If you always want to sound exaggerated or affected, then, according to the OED, you're on the right track.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Oxford English Dictionary adds ‘Kewl’

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »