Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Local time: 02:16
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 1, 2022

Hello everyone,

First, this is an addressed to English to Spanish translators.
I'm facing a new translation challenge.
I've been asked to translate a website, and there are two sections, the IT one, about passwords, orders, etc, and then the retail section.
My doubt is the following: the IT section in Spanish usually uses the informal tone "tú", and the retail section as it where uses the "usted". This is my question: Can both "tú" and "usted" be used on the same
... See more
Hello everyone,

First, this is an addressed to English to Spanish translators.
I'm facing a new translation challenge.
I've been asked to translate a website, and there are two sections, the IT one, about passwords, orders, etc, and then the retail section.
My doubt is the following: the IT section in Spanish usually uses the informal tone "tú", and the retail section as it where uses the "usted". This is my question: Can both "tú" and "usted" be used on the same website?
I would appreciate any feedback.
Regards,
Natalia
Collapse

Jose Herrera
Sarah Rodríguez Vasconcelos

claudia bagnardi
claudia bagnardi  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Natalia, Mar 1, 2022

IMHO, for consistency purposes, I would stick to the same one. Either "tú" or "usted", depending on the website's target.
Let's see other suggestions.
Have a good day.
Claudia

Angie Garbarino
Walter Landesman
Jose Herrera
Alex Ossa
Ester Vidal
Anastasia GZ Ibarguen

Alex Ossa
Alex Ossa  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:16
Member (2017)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Consistency/brand identity/location of company Mar 1, 2022

100% gree with Claudia re consistency.

As to which one to use will depend on the kind of relationship the company fosters with its customers (distant/respectful or close/friendly) ie, brand identity. It will also depend on where the company is from and what the socially acceptable use of 'tu/ud' is there. In some countries it's just plain rude to use 'tu', whereas in other countries it can be seen as excessively formal to use 'ud'.

Walter Landesman
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Pedro Zimmer

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:16
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Be generous with "tú", be duly careful with "usted" Mar 2, 2022

Both Claudia and Natalia are right.

If I may tell you about a recent experience: I know a big Spanish-language website which has different (but clear) policies for "tú" and "usted". All the sections that somehow appeal to the visitor/user/client use "tú". But legalese and other related sections use strictly "usted".

Pedro Zimmer
Sarah Rodríguez Vasconcelos

Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Local time: 02:16
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think I'll use bo th Mar 2, 2022

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
I think consistency is paramount, but IT sections use "tú" throughout the internet. On the other hand, the public addressed are companies and particulars, so "usted" is the one that fits best.

Good day to all of you!

Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Tú" and "Usted" in Spanish translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »