Copying and pasting from .pdf to .doc
Thread poster: Nikolaus Halter
Nikolaus Halter
Nikolaus Halter  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:24
English to German
+ ...
Jan 10, 2006

How can I copy and past a large amount of text from an adobe file into to a Microsoft Word .doc document? This seems to be unneccessarily difficult. Any advice?

Ah, I should have checked the forum first; there are several entries on this.

Sorry

[Edited at 2006-01-10 15:39]

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 03:24
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Depends... Jan 10, 2006

1.) Was the PDF created from a text file or an image? In case it was created from a scanned document, you won't be able to copy anything, unfortunately... I usually give my clients two options for such case: (a) I can transcribe the original into DOC an then translate, applying both rates for transcription AND translation, charged over the source word count, or (b) I translate the text directly into DOC and charge the translation rate over the target word count.

2.) Is it only a tex
... See more
1.) Was the PDF created from a text file or an image? In case it was created from a scanned document, you won't be able to copy anything, unfortunately... I usually give my clients two options for such case: (a) I can transcribe the original into DOC an then translate, applying both rates for transcription AND translation, charged over the source word count, or (b) I translate the text directly into DOC and charge the translation rate over the target word count.

2.) Is it only a text, as in a contract, report, or book, or do you have tables and images? If you only have a text structure on a text-to-PDF file, you're pretty much safe when copying&pasting (just be careful with the footnotes...). But if there's any other graphic component, you'll lose the formatting (design) of the page.

If your clients are okay with receiving a .DOC only with the text from the PDF and will later hire someone else for the DTP, everybody will be happy with the outcome. You can really make it easier for them if you create a two-column table and put the source on the left and the translation on the right, so that whoever is working on the DTP will have an idea of what's what.

Otherwise, let them know what's going on and, if applicable, charge your DTP rate per page and work on the DOC in order to have it look exactly like the PDF.

Anyway, maybe someone else knows about a tool that will help you extract the contents of a text-to-PDF. So far, I only use extensions to do it the other way, that is, from DOC into PDF... I've just worked on a product brochure that was in PDF and had to create tables in order to have the DOC organized exactly as the PDF. If there's such a tool, I'd also be glad to hear from our colleagues.

Good luck!
Collapse

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:24
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Tools Jan 10, 2006

First, try to Select All in the PDF, then Ctrl+C, then Ctrl+V into an empty .DOC file. Look at the result. If it's satisfying, it's OK.

Othrwise you will need a special software like ABBYY FineReader, or, even better, ABBYY PDF Transformer - the latter is the specialized tool to convert PDFs into .DOC or .XLS formats.

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 03:24
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'll check it out... Jan 10, 2006

Kirill Semenov wrote:

First, try to Select All in the PDF, then Ctrl+C, then Ctrl+V into an empty .DOC file. Look at the result. If it's satisfying, it's OK.

I've done it exactly like that, selecting all and copying and pasting into an empty doc. Tables are lost and, sometimes, some headings too...

Kirill Semenov wrote:
Othrwise you will need a special software like ABBYY FineReader, or, even better, ABBYY PDF Transformer - the latter is the specialized tool to convert PDFs into .DOC or .XLS formats.

Thanks for the tip. I'll certainly check it out as soon as I have a chance.

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:24
Swedish to English
+ ...
White on white Jan 10, 2006

Sometimes there are some very devious traps in PDF documents. A good example is text that is white on a dark or black background in the PDF File. When you cut and paste, the background is usually lost, but the white text stays white - and is therefore invisible in the DOC version. So it is a good idea, once in Word, to select the whole document (ctrl-A) and via Format / Font / Font colour, set the text colour to black.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:24
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Pls check this article Jan 11, 2006

http://www.proz.com/doc/128

HTH,
Natalia

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:54
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Converting pdf to text Jan 11, 2006

I once had to do exactly this and I was able to do it by saving the pdf document in the rtf format. The rtf document could be opened in MSWord and I could carry out the corrections.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copying and pasting from .pdf to .doc

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »