Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:43
English to Czech
+ ...
Not all languages are targeted, too. Feb 21, 2020

Kevin Fulton wrote:

From what I've observed, it seems that new members to Proz are contacted shortly after registering with the site. This suggests that scammers are monitoring Proz and sending bogus offers to potential victims who are eager to get a start in the words for money biz.

That's my impression too. Plus also older members, if they add a new language pair that's on the scammers' radar. Happened to me when I added the EN language pairs some time in 2012 or so - I got 2 identity theft scam messages in a matter of days (btw. what happened to this scam? is it GONE???). Before that I only had Polish and Czech in my profile which I guess wasn't interesting to scammers since the scam messages probably aren't offered in these languages. That's my explanation at least.
After that I blocked the messages from the non-logged in users and since then got 0 scams.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:43
English to Czech
+ ...
I didn't. Feb 21, 2020

Sheila Wilson wrote:

What I said was that there is no type of communication or statement which on its own screams SCAM. A hotmail address can be used by a totally legitimate client; a cheque is still quite common as a payment method in the USA, I believe; private individuals who need a translation will often offer payment in advance; etc. You have to consider everything about the contact and then make a business decision: whether to send a polite reply or delete the email.

The point is you don't have to engage in any of these speculations, just put the message body into google (imho better that email or name since it doesn't change) and if it's one of those big few (overpayment, impersonation, ... something more? ID theft is dead?), you'll 100% find it posted somewhere.

If not, then you start thinking. But not before, it's not worth it. (kind of Occam's razor, if you will)

Or in other words, there IS a "communication or statement which on its own screams SCAM" - it's all the copy-pasted communications and statements which are typical for scams we're discussing here.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client using hotmail address

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »