Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:34
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
There is a simple way, if there's the will Jan 10, 2020

Lynda Prince wrote:
I really do wish there was a way to stop it though.

If banks were to refuse to credit accounts with cheques unless they were countersigned and presented by the account holder, the scam would work a lot less frequently. The scam in Europe, at any rate, has relied on scammers presenting the cheques to the bank rather than sending them to translators.

If banks were to stop using cheques altogether, the scam would die totally. Most European banks issue cheque books grudgingly, if at all. My bank in Spain said I could have cheques if I insisted ("as a daft foreigner" was clearly implied). Electronic means of transferring money around are far safer, not to mention simpler. I don't know which countries apart from the US still rely heavily on cheques, but maybe not many.

Douglas Smith
Douglas Smith
United States
Local time: 16:34
Japanese to English
+ ...
Update - no malware in the file Jan 10, 2020

Just as added info, I ran the file they sent through some free on-line malware analysis and it came out clean. Thankfully.
I may ask my local PD if they want to try to pursue something b/c at this point, I have not alerted the scammers that I'm onto them.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:34
German to English
Local police not interested Jan 10, 2020

Douglas Smith wrote:

I may ask my local PD if they want to try to pursue something b/c at this point, I have not alerted the scammers that I'm onto them.

From time to time my local police department (Midwest US) holds community outreach programs where the citizenry can voice concerns regarding public safety, etc. During one session last year someone asked whether the police were investigating internet scams. The response was that the authorities are more interested in pursuing door-to-door fraudsters selling bogus services such as driveway repair and pay-in-advance magazine subscriptions. They are concerned about fraudulent checks issued locally ("uttering and publishing"), but don't have the capability or the authority to investigate internet fraud originating outside the jurisdiction. I assume this is the position of most police departments in the United States.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

IDENTITY THEFT BY SCAMMERS - PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »