Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:25
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 10, 2023

- Add the possibility to flag posts, threads or users to moderators (increasing number of fake profiles posting bot generated spam content). Such a feature is actually a standard on platforms.

Rachel Waddington
expressisverbis
Schtroumpf

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Abuse Oct 10, 2023

That would result in an uncontrollable series of the feature abuse. As some people might not like something subjectively and they would keep clicking on it. This would also result in more work for mods to check the legitimacy of reports.

Before introducing a feature, a platform culture is observed, then a decision is made for/against.

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, no Oct 10, 2023

Such a feature is a standard in any site. Mods check if the flag is justified and act accordingly.

Just put an intermediate step in between to explain the issue.

Now you have to report an entire thread and have to explain where the mod has to search for the flagged post for example.

People is not that dumb to report a post only because they didn't like, let's say, the grammar errors there.

Rachel Waddington

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Nobody said they were stupid? Oct 10, 2023

They may just see things subjectively, whereas it objectively does not warrant removal. People get heated up really easily subjectively on forums.

What you described is a lot of additional steps/work for mods. The feature would increase the number of reported posts exponentially.

Nice that you informed me how it works currently, because I never reported a single post or a person since I joined ProZ, many years ago. Neither I will. Kudos to those who have the time for
... See more
They may just see things subjectively, whereas it objectively does not warrant removal. People get heated up really easily subjectively on forums.

What you described is a lot of additional steps/work for mods. The feature would increase the number of reported posts exponentially.

Nice that you informed me how it works currently, because I never reported a single post or a person since I joined ProZ, many years ago. Neither I will. Kudos to those who have the time for it.

The only time I would report it is if I saw something illegal or crime-like.

I've reported spam or suspicious clients, but that's something else. I think you are referring to community forums only.
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 17:25
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Zea Oct 10, 2023

While I thank you for posting this, I believe the first step for the staff would be fixing all the bugs that many members are facing and rephrasing the rules of the site.
It seems to me this website is now running on autopilot.

Michele Fauble
Yaotl Altan
Christel Zipfel
Lieven Malaise
Philip Lees
Zea_Mays
Jennifer Levey

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tagging people Oct 11, 2023

What about a feature to tag people (mainly mods) in posts in the web 4.0 era?
(Here we have still 1.5, which is not all that bad IMO)

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:25
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Nobody listens Oct 11, 2023

Or, more accurately, nobody acts. I can only think of one change in the forum over the past decade, which was the ability to like posts. That's it. They could have moved the forum to Discourse for free, basically, and brought the whole thing into the twenty-first century, but nope.

And think of all the other gimmicks on which the have wasted time and money, like TM Town (hah!) and most recently ChatGPT.

I'm sure they're nice people, but the community exists despite thei
... See more
Or, more accurately, nobody acts. I can only think of one change in the forum over the past decade, which was the ability to like posts. That's it. They could have moved the forum to Discourse for free, basically, and brought the whole thing into the twenty-first century, but nope.

And think of all the other gimmicks on which the have wasted time and money, like TM Town (hah!) and most recently ChatGPT.

I'm sure they're nice people, but the community exists despite their benign neglect.

Regards,
Dan
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Lieven Malaise
Jorge Payan
Michele Fauble
P.L.F. Persio

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Dan Oct 12, 2023

You know what I like to think?

That the Proz team is busy working their magic behind the scenes,
building a super powerful new website with great design and features and even better support,
and who knows what other surprises...
Soon they will reveal the big news.

What's your whish for that super new site?

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions to improve the site

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »