Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:02
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 19, 2023

Since 2016 (7 years ago!) it isn’t possible for members to use Browniz points as a discount towards site membership or for non-members to purchase access to Blue Board records. Today Browniz is just a tie-breaker if someone happens to have the same number of Kudoz points as you.

My question to you all who are as active on Proz as I have been and so have a lot of Browniz (I have 139,578) is: wouldn’t you like these to be, somehow, translated (pun intended) and how would you like
... See more
Since 2016 (7 years ago!) it isn’t possible for members to use Browniz points as a discount towards site membership or for non-members to purchase access to Blue Board records. Today Browniz is just a tie-breaker if someone happens to have the same number of Kudoz points as you.

My question to you all who are as active on Proz as I have been and so have a lot of Browniz (I have 139,578) is: wouldn’t you like these to be, somehow, translated (pun intended) and how would you like your Browniz to be spent? I’m not sure Proz will hear us, but for my part I welcome your suggestions...
Collapse

Zea_Mays
expressisverbis
Walter Landesman
Yaotl Altan
Christopher Schröder
Andriy Yasharov
Philip Lees

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I wonder Sep 19, 2023

I wonder how many BrowniZ points there are, in total. So as to have an opinion about whether members with BrowniZ points should be compensated financially. I understand that there is currently a technical reason why BrowniZ can't be converted to money, but if it is a one-time thing, then perhaps certain categories of points totals can be compensated for.

An alternative idea is to convert BrowniZ points to KudoZ points using some kind of exchange rate.

Say, where can
... See more
I wonder how many BrowniZ points there are, in total. So as to have an opinion about whether members with BrowniZ points should be compensated financially. I understand that there is currently a technical reason why BrowniZ can't be converted to money, but if it is a one-time thing, then perhaps certain categories of points totals can be compensated for.

An alternative idea is to convert BrowniZ points to KudoZ points using some kind of exchange rate.

Say, where can I see my BrowniZ points?
Collapse

expressisverbis
Yaotl Altan
Andriy Yasharov
Philip Lees
Gwak Gaeun
Evandro Costa

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Members' needs and opinions Sep 19, 2023

Based on many things, it is my impression that members' opinions, suggestions, needs – and even requests for moderators to apply the site rules as they are written – have only limited interest for Proz staff, which seem to 'have other plans', to quote a prominent member, so even though I agree with your suggestion, I'm not going to waste my time on details. In two days, my membership will expire for the above reasons anyway, and as a soon non-member, it would not be reasonable to try to infl... See more
Based on many things, it is my impression that members' opinions, suggestions, needs – and even requests for moderators to apply the site rules as they are written – have only limited interest for Proz staff, which seem to 'have other plans', to quote a prominent member, so even though I agree with your suggestion, I'm not going to waste my time on details. In two days, my membership will expire for the above reasons anyway, and as a soon non-member, it would not be reasonable to try to influence the site.Collapse

expressisverbis
Yaotl Altan
Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees
Christel Zipfel
Gerard de Noord

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
@ Samuel Sep 19, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
... convert BrowniZ points to KudoZ points using some kind of exchange rate.

Good idea!

Say, where can I see my BrowniZ points?

Here: https://www2.proz.com/?sp=b_h

expressisverbis
Natassa Iosifidou

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Sep 19, 2023

Mousing over your name at the right upper side without clicking, in MY ACCOUNT & SETTINGS you’ll see your Kudoz + Browniz…

expressisverbis
Walter Landesman
Yaotl Altan

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Browniz should really "translate" into something tangible... Sep 19, 2023

not because Prozians are actively looking for some sort of recognition, but because Browniz reflect the presence, interest, interaction of Prozians which, in fact, is/are what keeps Proz alive.

If not, what is the "point" of Proz awarding (and Prozians earning) (Browniz) points?

expressisverbis
Tanja Oresnik
Emily Gilby
Zea_Mays
Christel Zipfel
Yaotl Altan

Tanja Oresnik
Tanja Oresnik  Identity Verified
Slovenia
French to Slovenian
+ ...
I wouldn't mind having the old system of Browniz points back Sep 19, 2023

I liked that you could use Browniz points to "pay" for accessing one Blue Board entry, for example. This was sort of a reward for "keeping Proz alive", as Ana wrote, as non-paying members were able to still inform themselves better about clients despite not being able to afford the Proz membership for whatever reason. I was a paying member for a while, but then circumstances changed, so I decided not to renew my membership. This is why I would like to have the old system of exchanging Browniz fo... See more
I liked that you could use Browniz points to "pay" for accessing one Blue Board entry, for example. This was sort of a reward for "keeping Proz alive", as Ana wrote, as non-paying members were able to still inform themselves better about clients despite not being able to afford the Proz membership for whatever reason. I was a paying member for a while, but then circumstances changed, so I decided not to renew my membership. This is why I would like to have the old system of exchanging Browniz for BB entries back.Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Zea_Mays
Jennifer Levey
Christel Zipfel
Yaotl Altan

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How they can be spent? Sep 19, 2023

From the FAQ:

1.1 - What are browniz points? [Direct link]

Browniz are points earned by contributing something to the community or the site, such as site translations, introduction of new members, organization or attendance of powwows, etc.

Browniz are a measure of 'helpfulness' or 'activity level', as opposed to KudoZ points, which relate to 'expertise'.

*Unlike KudoZ points, browniz points can be spent*. Having browniz points means you have d
... See more
From the FAQ:

1.1 - What are browniz points? [Direct link]

Browniz are points earned by contributing something to the community or the site, such as site translations, introduction of new members, organization or attendance of powwows, etc.

Browniz are a measure of 'helpfulness' or 'activity level', as opposed to KudoZ points, which relate to 'expertise'.

*Unlike KudoZ points, browniz points can be spent*. Having browniz points means you have done something for the community, and the community "owes you one".

How they can be spent?

If browniz are contributions made from members to the community or the site, they could be seen already as our Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
After all, we are learning and sharing experiences which help us to develop and improve our professional practice on a professional forum!
I don't know why they still even exist... for decorative purposes, intended to look our profiles attractive?

[Edited at 2023-09-19 14:19 GMT]
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Ana Vozone
Cecília Alves
Philip Lees
Gwak Gaeun
Barbara Carrara

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 20:02
Greek to English
Sure Sep 20, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

I’m not sure Proz will hear us, ...

I, however, am sure. Watch this space ... if you want to see absolutely nothing.

Good idea, though, Maria Teresa. But good ideas are currently out of fashion here.

Barbara Carrara
Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Christel Zipfel
Jennifer Levey
writeaway

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Teresa, Sep 20, 2023

I hope ProZ can hear us, but everything is so "dead" lately that I really don't know anymore.
Instead of ProZians we are ProZombies now...

Christel Zipfel
ibz
Philip Lees
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
my feeling Sep 20, 2023

is, Proz staff is just hatching something, like a brand new portal design,
brand new features, patches for all those bugs...
And there's also the conference to be managed end of month...

Let's give them credit of trust.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Sandra Sep 20, 2023

Congratulations for the ProZombies, c’est très bien trouvé!

expressisverbis
Philip Lees

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Browniz Sep 21, 2023

Browniz are an indication of nothing meaningful. Users can accumulate B points by (dis)agreeing with Kudoz suggestions in languages they don't even speak! How is that helpful to anyone? How does the community benefit? Why should such 'contributions' be rewarded? How does that help raise the level of professionalism?

The site lives on traffic alone.

Of course, some users have nothing else to focus on. Their activity on this site is their only purpose in life. ... See more
Browniz are an indication of nothing meaningful. Users can accumulate B points by (dis)agreeing with Kudoz suggestions in languages they don't even speak! How is that helpful to anyone? How does the community benefit? Why should such 'contributions' be rewarded? How does that help raise the level of professionalism?

The site lives on traffic alone.

Of course, some users have nothing else to focus on. Their activity on this site is their only purpose in life.

Happy Thursday!
C
Collapse

expressisverbis
writeaway

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Browniz

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »