Record of jobs quoted on via email method and CV support for the quoting system?
Thread poster: Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:21
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Nov 18, 2009

There is a record in ProZ of jobs we have quoted for. If it were complete, it would be useful, but it is far from being complete. The only jobs listed are those that used the ProZ own quote forms. Increasingly, posters are asking us to submit quotes via an email or via their website - these never go onto the list.

Personally, I would like to be able to add these other jobs to the list so that I could have a link to the job description later. I realise that this (probably) could not
... See more
There is a record in ProZ of jobs we have quoted for. If it were complete, it would be useful, but it is far from being complete. The only jobs listed are those that used the ProZ own quote forms. Increasingly, posters are asking us to submit quotes via an email or via their website - these never go onto the list.

Personally, I would like to be able to add these other jobs to the list so that I could have a link to the job description later. I realise that this (probably) could not be done automatically, but I'm sure something could be provided to give us a link to the original posting (eg we could click on "I have submitted a quote for this job"). This would enable an easier tie-up between the original job description and any later correspondence.

So, suggestion one is to have a complete list of jobs quoted for.

Suggestion two concerns sending a CV: via the ProZ "submit quote" system, you cannot send an attachment, even if your CV is already uploaded to ProZ. Job posters often specifically ask for a CV (naturally enough), even if they ask you to use the ProZ quote system. When I raised a support ticket about this, I was advised to send my CV separately via the company's profile. Possible, but not good, to my mind. The poster needs to receive everything in one package, and besides, if they have explicitly asked us not to send emails, ...

I have uploaded my CV - why can I not attach it to my quote?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-11-18 21:49 GMT]
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 14:21
SITE STAFF
Nice ideas Nov 18, 2009

Hi Sheila,

Interesting ideas, both-- suggestion one may be a bit more involved than suggestion two. Let me see what can be done.

Jared

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jared Nov 18, 2009

Hope you don't mind my efforts to keep you all busy

Olga Dorofeeva
Olga Dorofeeva  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:21
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Good point, Sheila Nov 19, 2009

Hello Sheila,

I think you are right, sometimes job posters ask not to send emails and quote only via proz form and it is impossible to attach a CV if necessary. So if the proz team could do something about this it would be very helpful.
Thank you a lot.
Olga

Sarah Jane Webb
Sarah Jane Webb  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Excellent ideas Nov 19, 2009

Thank you Sheila

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Valid observations... Nov 19, 2009

Shiela: You are on to something that I also have often felt was lacking.
I often wonder why the ProZ.com bidding system is not satisfactory for agencies and clients. What form do they receive this in: an email, or a special section on their ProZ.com page?

Jared: As usual, your response is speedy and reasonable. Thank you! To have these two points implemented would really enhance the ProZ experience!
Could you offer an answer to my query above, Jared? How do the rece
... See more
Shiela: You are on to something that I also have often felt was lacking.
I often wonder why the ProZ.com bidding system is not satisfactory for agencies and clients. What form do they receive this in: an email, or a special section on their ProZ.com page?

Jared: As usual, your response is speedy and reasonable. Thank you! To have these two points implemented would really enhance the ProZ experience!
Could you offer an answer to my query above, Jared? How do the receivers get the online bid through ProZ? IN what format? Because if it is simply in an e-mail form, why do they insist on an independent e-mail application/bid? Are the distrustful of ProZ? Shame on them!!

Regards to you both,
Bill
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 14:21
SITE STAFF
The quote system Nov 19, 2009

Hi Bill,

William [Bill] Gray wrote:
How do the receivers get the online bid through ProZ? IN what format? Because if it is simply in an e-mail form, why do they insist on an independent e-mail application/bid? Are the distrustful of ProZ? Shame on them!!

It's not just and email form, no. A job poster who selects the quote system is notified via email when quotes are entered for that job, and there is an interface through which they can view all the quotes received for a job, optionally respond to the quoters, accept or decline quotes, etc. I don't think it's about distrust, probably just preferences. I imagine some people find it more convenient to organize such work solely via email, while others prefer and use the system's interface, but I can't of course confirm the reasons for choosing one or the other. It may also be a question of being familiar or not with the quoting system and its interface and options.

Sheila,

Hope you don't mind my efforts to keep you all busy

Your efforts are appreciated-- keep it up! I'll be back when I have news on the two suggested developments.

Best regards,

Jared

Colin Mansell
Colin Mansell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
ProZ response unsatisfactory Jan 7, 2010

I have long felt the Submit quote method to be inadequate because of this lack of facility to send a CV, and so I too raised a support ticket about this. The response was that I should add a link to my ProZ profile. This is not good enough.

I agree that busy agencies want to receive all the information in one package at one time, having to sort through fifty or a hundred replies, and I cannot see that this is so difficult to program.

Just do it! Nothing less will do.... See more
I have long felt the Submit quote method to be inadequate because of this lack of facility to send a CV, and so I too raised a support ticket about this. The response was that I should add a link to my ProZ profile. This is not good enough.

I agree that busy agencies want to receive all the information in one package at one time, having to sort through fifty or a hundred replies, and I cannot see that this is so difficult to program.

Just do it! Nothing less will do.

Regards
Colin Mansell
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More related requests Jan 7, 2010

Colin Mansell wrote:

I have long felt the Submit quote method to be inadequate because of this lack of facility to send a CV, and so I too raised a support ticket about this. The response was that I should add a link to my ProZ profile.

Thanks for your support for this request, Colin.

An extra question to Jared:

Is a link to our profile included automatically in the quote? Surely it must be, seeing as information is taken from it and you have to have one to quote in the first place. If it isn't, please could it be included on all quotes, please?

Would it be possible to provide some screenshots to show us just what the poster sees when we quote? That would certainly help me to phrase things correctly.

Thanks for your help.

Sheila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Record of jobs quoted on via email method and CV support for the quoting system?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »