Thread poster: Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:40
German to French
+ ...
Dec 10, 2006

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I didn't find any related topic in the forum.
I'm working from English/German to French and I often use the web term search because I find it useful to avoid opening several browser windows.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work when I look for German terms containing "accented" characters (ä, ü, ö or ß). In the Proz term search window, although the search is correct the term is garbled; the Eurodicautom returns a "bad request" erro
... See more
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I didn't find any related topic in the forum.
I'm working from English/German to French and I often use the web term search because I find it useful to avoid opening several browser windows.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work when I look for German terms containing "accented" characters (ä, ü, ö or ß). In the Proz term search window, although the search is correct the term is garbled; the Eurodicautom returns a "bad request" error message; IEV gives no result.
Is this a known bug? Does it come from Proz or from Internet Explorer (I now use IE7 but it was the same with IE6)? Should I submit a support ticket?
Thanks in advance for your advice
Marie-Céline
Collapse

Stuart Allsop
Stuart Allsop  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
"That's the way it's supposed to work" Dec 11, 2006

I understand you perfectly. I reported the exact same problem with Spanish accents several months ago, and spent many, many posts trying to carefully explain exactly what the problem is, and how it appears, and why it was not working.

For all my trouble, the reply I got in the end was more or less along the lines "Oh, but that's the way it is supposed to work. There is nothing wrong with it.".

So don't hold your breath about hoping to see it fixed any time soon.
... See more
I understand you perfectly. I reported the exact same problem with Spanish accents several months ago, and spent many, many posts trying to carefully explain exactly what the problem is, and how it appears, and why it was not working.

For all my trouble, the reply I got in the end was more or less along the lines "Oh, but that's the way it is supposed to work. There is nothing wrong with it.".

So don't hold your breath about hoping to see it fixed any time soon.

I honestly wish you good luck in getting it fixed, but experience with tech support here leads me to believe otherwise...

[Edited at 2006-12-11 19:19]
Collapse

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:40
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 12, 2006

Hi Stuart,
Thanks for taking time to reply. I'll send a support ticket and see if I'm more successful.
Maybe this problem would get more exposure in the language-specific forums. I also considered adding a post to the thread that announced the web term search last year, maybe this one would make it to the proz start page and trigger some reaction...

Marie-Céline

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

web term search not working with accented characters

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »