Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:15
German to English
+ ...
Give guy a chance Jun 30, 2021

[/quote]

There's already too much talk/rant going on on the subject of money, and of other "external" aspects of this profession.

For once, it's refreshing to talk about something specific that goes to the core of what translation is and does. Money is important, yet Hearts starve as well as bodies/Give us bread, but gi
... See more
[/quote]

There's already too much talk/rant going on on the subject of money, and of other "external" aspects of this profession.

For once, it's refreshing to talk about something specific that goes to the core of what translation is and does. Money is important, yet Hearts starve as well as bodies/Give us bread, but give us roses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsvGPj0LH0M [/quote]

Give the guy a chance. He's a new user.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Porzia Jun 30, 2021

P.L.F. Persio wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Though I like reading poetry (mostly Fernando Pessoa and all his heteronyms), I’ve never translated it and I have to admit that I don't know much about the ins and outs of translating a poem.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find who the author of the English translation is:

Para ser grande, sê inteiro: nada
Teu exagera ou exclui.
Sê todo em cada coisa. Põe quanto és
No mínimo que fazes.
Assim em cada lago a lua toda
Brilha, porque alta vive

In order to be big, be whole: nothing
Of yours exaggerates or excludes.
Be all that is in everything. Put all of yourself
In the smallest things you do.
Like this in every lake the whole moon
Shines, because it lives high

I don't know if that's the case but he wrote a few sonnets in English...

P.L.F. Persio

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:15
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Other Jun 30, 2021

If I am translating a poem just for fun (which I must confess I do from time to time), I would try to replicate the rhythm, rhyme and meaning as much as possible, whilst making the translated poem sound like a well-written poem in its own right. It's a rather elusive goal, and different translations of the same poem can vary wildly, but it has the same kind of appeal to me as a crossword puzzle might to someone else: trying to find the right words to fit in the right places.

That s
... See more
If I am translating a poem just for fun (which I must confess I do from time to time), I would try to replicate the rhythm, rhyme and meaning as much as possible, whilst making the translated poem sound like a well-written poem in its own right. It's a rather elusive goal, and different translations of the same poem can vary wildly, but it has the same kind of appeal to me as a crossword puzzle might to someone else: trying to find the right words to fit in the right places.

That said, if translating for a customer, they may well have their own requirements, depending on the purpose of the translation. To some, the rhyme may be all-important, for example if it is intended to be read aloud, while to others the literal meaning may matter most of all, perhaps to help language students understand the original.

The website for the Stephen Spender prize contains some useful resources on poetry translation: https://www.stephen-spender.org/stephen-spender-prize/
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Assem AlKhallouf

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:15
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Darmok Jun 30, 2021

Philip Lees wrote:

This raises the question of to what extent translation is possible in particular cases. The Star Trek NG episode, Darmok,
provides a good illustration of how communication with true aliens may be difficult or impossible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-wzr74d7TI

Here, both sides have excellent translation machines and each can understand the other's words, yet neither side has any idea at all what the other is trying to say.

One of the best of the series, IMO. I truly never get tired of seeing it, and it does make such an interesting point.

Assem AlKhallouf

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:15
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apparently none of those listed can be separated from the rest Jun 30, 2021

It always requires a hybrid/fusion of translation techniques to even translate a descriptive text, not to mention the translation of poems.

[Edited at 2021-06-30 21:13 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Assem AlKhallouf

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:15
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jul 1, 2021

I don't translate poetry, but from what I've seen, there are some colleagues who are really tallented for that, and some poems are really well translated and keep both the mood and the cadence/rhymes. That's where the translator is also an artist. However, most translations of poetry I've seen do not fit into this category. Many people who accept jobs like this are simply not prepared to do them. This is why I don't accept them. I'd probably deliver a lousy job.

P.L.F. Persio
Christine Andersen

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Unexpected Poetry Jul 2, 2021

Ever had a work of poetry suddenly appear within another work you are translating? This can be very challenging to deal with if the poem is a difficult one.

I have actually asked clients if I could "skip" the poetry, and they have sometimes agreed when it is not essential to the text. Sometimes we just summarize what the poem is about and quote key lines or phrases, which is sometimes sufficient, depending on the purpose of the translation.

When I do translate poetry, I
... See more
Ever had a work of poetry suddenly appear within another work you are translating? This can be very challenging to deal with if the poem is a difficult one.

I have actually asked clients if I could "skip" the poetry, and they have sometimes agreed when it is not essential to the text. Sometimes we just summarize what the poem is about and quote key lines or phrases, which is sometimes sufficient, depending on the purpose of the translation.

When I do translate poetry, I usually work on conveying the meaning first...then I play around with the words to see if I can make them rhyme or sound more poetic. It is a real artform, and I truly admire those who do it well.

Yesterday, I wrote a blog post listing five paying markets for translated poetry:

http://arabicandmore.com/poetry/five-markets-that-pay-for-translated-works-of-poetry/

This is part of a much bigger list of paying literary markets that I recently compiled for creative writers and translators. Amazingly, there is a pretty big market out there for translated works of poetry and other literature.

I really enjoyed reading the responses in this thread and hope to see more polls of this type!
Collapse

Christine Andersen

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: The best method for translating poetry into your native language is:

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »