lauradiel
lauradiel  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:55
Member (2009)
German to Italian
+ ...
Dec 7, 2009

Does anybody know any free software localization tools?
Thanks.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sure, lots, but... Dec 7, 2009

Laura Diel wrote:

Different pieces of software are written in different programming languages and use different localisation systems. Even two programs written in the same programming language may use different localisation systems that are not mutually compatible. So yes, many software localisation products are free, but they're only useful for localising the software that works with them. Why do you ask?

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Maybe Okapi Rainbow + OmegaT Dec 7, 2009

Laura Diel wrote:

Thanks.

Not sure what your requirements are, but perhaps this tandem could do the job.

HTH

Piotr

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
it depends on the program itself Dec 7, 2009

because different software apparently can use different approach: ini files, lng files, registry data, exe resources, dll resources, packages...

There's no all-in-one solution (even paid). Usually a specific software vendor uses similar localization (and protection) system. So, if you know the system, you should use the proper tool. For example, as for 'internal use' I tried ResourceHacker to export data, translated it in WF and re-imported via RH.
 Having got the resources y
... See more
because different software apparently can use different approach: ini files, lng files, registry data, exe resources, dll resources, packages...

There's no all-in-one solution (even paid). Usually a specific software vendor uses similar localization (and protection) system. So, if you know the system, you should use the proper tool. For example, as for 'internal use' I tried ResourceHacker to export data, translated it in WF and re-imported via RH.
 Having got the resources you just need translate it as usual, but much paying attention to external tags. Also mind the string length - sometimes it's very critical.

The main problem with exe and dll modifying (resource export, translation, and import back) is it changes the 'original finished product' which can be protected (both EULA and self-checking).

Laura, if it's one-two-time need then you could also consider using trial localization software.

Cheers
Collapse

lauradiel
lauradiel  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:55
Member (2009)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not a specific software Dec 7, 2009

Hi,
I don't have a specific software to translate, I was just asking for future reference. I was wondering whether there were any, and if so, which were the most useful/commonly used!

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
pootle is often mentioned Jan 3, 2010

Laura Diel wrote:

Hi,
I don't have a specific software to translate, I was just asking for future reference. I was wondering whether there were any, and if so, which were the most useful/commonly used!

... in connection with .po files. there's a (sourceforge I think) project Verbatim to use it for Mozilla products.

Regards

smo

PO Editor Aug 28, 2012

Laura Diel wrote:

Thanks.

A neat new tool for collaborative localization is http://poeditor.com/
It's rather easy to use, you should give it a try!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free software localization tools

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »