Translating a lot of content (sub-titling & interface) into 20 languages, updating hourly. Best way?
Thread poster: 261275
English
Apr 30, 2008

Hi All,
I found this forum recently, i am currently working on a project that will require translating alot of content to over 20 languages.
This will mostly include article translations but will also include sub-titling and interface translations.

This is the site i am working on:

Which is the best way for a project like that
... See more
Hi All,
I found this forum recently, i am currently working on a project that will require translating alot of content to over 20 languages.
This will mostly include article translations but will also include sub-titling and interface translations.

This is the site i am working on:

Which is the best way for a project like that which should update it's unique content on an hourly basis.
Your comments on the project are also very welcome (There is a short presentation on the site and i am certain you will find it interesting as a translator.)

Regards,
Michael.

[Edited at 2008-04-30 23:22]

[Edited at 2008-04-30 23:23]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-05-01 08:02]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hi Michael Apr 30, 2008

I've moved your topic to the Localization forum.

English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Parrot. Apr 30, 2008

Parrot wrote:

I've moved your topic to the Localization forum.

Thanks Parrot.

Riens Middelhof
Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:38
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
well, it's illegible now May 1, 2008

Please include a link...

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Link(s) found May 1, 2008

Riens Middelhof wrote:
Please include a link...

You can just replace the football in the logo with the name for the football game in your language i.e. www.calcio.tv for Italian. For the moment there is just a flash presentation.

The reply to Michael's questions changes in connection with many possible questions. E.g:

Will you have all original texts in English or in various languages?
What kind of volume will you have for articles, updates and subtitles?
What kind of material will get updated more often?

I can offer a just a few considerations based on my past experience as member of a multilanguage editorial team with many contributors around the world.

In my view the biggest challenge of this project is the hourly updating, especially considering the problems of time zone differences.

Ideally the news should be updated instantly in all languages, but this would be difficult even with a team of in-house native translators in the same pressroom.

You can probably set up a local pressroom taking care of textual content production (taking care of coding, upload, distribution as well as final QA), and an online translation team including a few freelance translators per language and one or more PMs.

The use of Translation Memory and Terminology software packages can be beneficial for consistency reasons. However they should be chosen in a way that will not make it more difficult finding the right translators for the team. In this respect it might be better to work without them if possible. The translators should then be instructed not to change the codes, and the PMs or Coders should test code integrity before final delivery.

Subtitles should be handled as full packages including movie whenever possible. Yet, for the sake of speed and easing translator recruitment, I would suggest to have the actual translation made on simple text files including in and out timecodes. The movies could be available online or downloadable through an internet as a reference for the translator.

Luca

[Edited at 2008-05-01 12:24]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a lot of content (sub-titling & interface) into 20 languages, updating hourly. Best way?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »