Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Help: How to improve as a litterary translator ?
Thread poster: Quentin NEVEN
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 23:55
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
You don’t Feb 6

You don’t but authors will prefer other authors (and trust them more), and select them to translate their pieces. It also depends on the type of literature and where it will be used, eg. public, canons, belles-letters, etc.

Even if some translator somewhere translates a poem, a publishing agency will use a poet to polish it, most certainly.

P.L.F. Persio

Quentin NEVEN
Quentin NEVEN  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 23:55
Member (Jan 2024)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your pieces of advice Feb 7

Hello,

Thank you for your advice; it was really helpful.

I am keeping the idea in my mind somewhere. but I will not do it right now. I might in the future but first I need to get established as a translator and earn a living.

It's a shame this activity is so underpaid; it is very fun yet challenging. But, oh well, the market works in mysterious ways.

My real passion is for good stories, which include but are not restricted to literature. I
... See more
Hello,

I am keeping the idea in my mind somewhere. but I will not do it right now. I might in the future but first I need to get established as a translator and earn a living.

It's a shame this activity is so underpaid; it is very fun yet challenging. But, oh well, the market works in mysterious ways.

My real passion is for good stories, which include but are not restricted to literature. I might be able to find it in another activity.

I tell stories all the time when I am creating my own D&D campaign, but that's a hobby. Now, getting paid for telling stories? That sounds absolutely amazing!

Have a good day
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hobby jobs Feb 7

Quentin NEVEN wrote:

Hello,

My real passion is for good stories, which include but are not restricted to literature. I might be able to find it in another activity.

I tell stories all the time when I am creating my own D&D campaign, but that's a hobby. Now, getting paid for telling stories? That sounds absolutely amazing!

Have a good day

Transforming hobbies into paid work is a double-edged sword. No doubt it can be wonderful if you get it right, but the bringing the pressures of making a living into the things you love definitely changes those things.

My partner has turned his passion for hillwalking into a business writing walk leaflets for pubs so I have seen this in action. He gets to do something he enjoys, and we get some freebie weekends away, but walking a route for a client is not the same as just going for a walk - and even the non-client walks are not quite the same any more. And he doesn't get paid anywhere near what he earned in his previous jobs. It only works because he is semi-retired.

Just something to consider.

Dan Lucas
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Michele Fauble
Kay Denney

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 00:55
English to Russian
+ ...
Never prepared (or always prepared) Feb 7

With a strong background springing from early childhood, you are always prepared for such work and will only keep honing your skills as you go. If the background is missing, you'll never prepare yourself enough, at least that's the opinion I've formed as I studied works delivered by crowds of other translators. With all the reading advice, did anyone mention that you should read good books and shouldn't read bad ones? It's literary vs litterary: read Saint-Exupéry but don't read Coelho, ... See more
With a strong background springing from early childhood, you are always prepared for such work and will only keep honing your skills as you go. If the background is missing, you'll never prepare yourself enough, at least that's the opinion I've formed as I studied works delivered by crowds of other translators. With all the reading advice, did anyone mention that you should read good books and shouldn't read bad ones? It's literary vs litterary: read Saint-Exupéry but don't read Coelho, and don't read any creative writings people post on forums unless you're absolutely confident in your gold-hunting skills. Again, if the background is there, you'll be able to tell a good read from a bad read intuitively

[Редактировалось 2024-02-07 10:31 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Ros Schwartz
Ros Schwartz
Local time: 22:55
French to English
Come to our online literary translation summer school 1 to 5 July Feb 21

If you're looking to hone your literary translation skills and gain insights into the publishing world, come to Bristol Translates, 1-5 July online:
https://www.bristol.ac.uk/sml/translation-studies/bristol-translates/
You can find the programme and information about our stellar tutros and speakers here Featuring literary translation workshops into and out
... See more
If you're looking to hone your literary translation skills and gain insights into the publishing world, come to Bristol Translates, 1-5 July online:
https://www.bristol.ac.uk/sml/translation-studies/bristol-translates/
You can find the programme and information about our stellar tutros and speakers here Featuring literary translation workshops into and out of over ten languages, Bristol Translates promises to be a unique date in the cultural calendar.

The Programme contains details of the sessions open to participants, including:

• Translation and Artificial Intelligence
• Queer Translation workshop
• Kids Lit, Graphic Novel, and collaborative translation workshops
• Industry insights into international editing practices, pitching and negotiation

Maboula Soumahoro, Professor of English at the University of Tours, will be delivering the keynote address, entitled ‘Translation is My Country’.

The Programme is available at the following link: https://www.bristol.ac.uk/sml/translation-studies/bristol-translates/programme/

Ros Schwartz
Co-director
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
patransword

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: How to improve as a litterary translator ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »