Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
KudoZ and Spanish
Thread poster: Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Daniel Felice
Daniel Felice
United States
Local time: 10:22
Japanese to English
to Marcelo and Jack Feb 28, 2008

The problem is that the close parenthesis is being included in the link. If you remove the parenthesis from the URL, you can load the page.

PB Trans
PB Trans

Local time: 15:22
French to English
+ ...
Marcelo Feb 28, 2008

Your link doesn't work because there is a closed parenthesis at the end. The correct link is: http://english2american.com/dictionary/cat_misc.html

table v put it forward for discussion: I'd like to table this for discussion at the end of the meeting. To Americans, "table" means to put aside. Somehow these got separated, much like "momentarily".... See more
Your link doesn't work because there is a closed parenthesis at the end. The correct link is: http://english2american.com/dictionary/cat_misc.html

table v put it forward for discussion: I'd like to table this for discussion at the end of the meeting. To Americans, "table" means to put aside. Somehow these got separated, much like "momentarily".
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 08:22
English to Spanish
Hey, Marta Fernandez-Suarez! Feb 28, 2008

Marta Fernandez-Suarez wrote:
Please Tadzio, que no lleguen las aguas al río...

Don't worry, dear colleague, "There Will Not Be Blood".

By the way, have you seen the title of this movie "localised" into our target language? "Pozos de Ambición". ("Wells of Ambition"... ) I haven't seen the movie, but I CANNOT see the relationship between both titles.

Good Lord.

Shalom!

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Oil wells Feb 28, 2008

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

Marta Fernandez-Suarez wrote:
Please Tadzio, que no lleguen las aguas al río...

Don't worry, dear colleague, "There Will Not Be Blood".

By the way, have you seen the title of this movie "localised" into our target language? "Pozos de Ambición". ("Wells of Ambition"... ) I haven't seen the movie, but I CANNOT see the relationship between both titles.

Good Lord.

Shalom!

No connection between the titles - it's the subject of the film - I believe it's about ruthless ambition and oil wells (pozos).
Best wishes,
Jenny

Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
hi there Feb 28, 2008

Dear Tazio

Just to let you know that I have added something on my previous post that you have just quoted to explain why I wrote what you perfectly translated for "there will not be blood" (I could not work out how to express it in English), it would be nice if you invite the person you refer to back.

About the film, I have not seen it either although it has been released in the UK already, but -from reviews- I think Jenny is spot on, both titles relate to the main subj
... See more
Dear Tazio

Just to let you know that I have added something on my previous post that you have just quoted to explain why I wrote what you perfectly translated for "there will not be blood" (I could not work out how to express it in English), it would be nice if you invite the person you refer to back.

About the film, I have not seen it either although it has been released in the UK already, but -from reviews- I think Jenny is spot on, both titles relate to the main subject of the film, it is not exactly translation, you can't get more a free translation than this I guess... I have seen very scary translations of film titles though, I will try and find some and post them here.
Thanks Marcelo for the link, most interesting and thanks for having brought it up and made such a strong point about it. My position is similar, I have only ever translated from English UK into Spanish ES. I believe I could not have done otherwise given that I have always translated texts with a high marketing component to them. I have just read Eva's point about neutral Spanish and it is a good point, but it is not applicable to the field I have worked in so far.

Ethics and roses, and no bread. I would rather do that (safeguarding as I can the reputation of the profession) and take a part time job until I can live from translating, instead of translating into other variants I can't translate into or accepting subjects that are obviously completely alien to me.

Thanks to all for the comments, and sorry I seemed to have limited this to English and Spanish, but of course the problem must be the same in other language combinations. I just hope KudoZ improves more in this respect. I was also very surprised to read recently in a forum that the option to select the Spanish language variant when you answer a KudoZ question does not work (I have always used it, silly me, thinking it worked) and will be removed. This is one of the reasons why I have recently felt compelled to bring about the subject once more.

Kind regards,

Marta

[Edited at 2008-02-28 19:16]

[Edited at 2008-02-28 19:21]
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 08:22
English to Spanish
Dear Marta, Feb 28, 2008

Sorry if I seem to have stuck on one subject, since a Forum leads us to many of them (you see, now many are talking about a "parenthesis" on a link). But yes, I'm stuck on the reply I did to Paul Merriam about:

But I'm curious, do Venezuelans, say, ever get clients asking them to rewrite a text originally written for, say, Peruvians to, say, Argentinians?

I think he and I meant Spanish INTO Spanish. That's what I referred to.

It's a pity I can't explain myself in English as I would in Spanish.

Could you open a new thread in Spanish about this same subject????

Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
will do Feb 28, 2008

Hi Tadzio

Ok, I will try to ( http://www.proz.com/topic/98432 ), summarising what has been told in this one, if that is ok with everyone, otherwise, let me know and I will not do it or, if too late, I will ask for the post to be quashed.

Regards

[Edited at 2008-02-28 23:15]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ and Spanish

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »