Bilingual KOG output
Autor de la hebra: Karin Kutscher
Karin Kutscher
Karin Kutscher  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:26
inglés al español
+ ...
Jul 15, 2007

I use the KOG a lot, but when using a term that has meanings in both the source and target languages, I receive results showing the term in both languages.

For example, when searching for "primer" in the English>Spanish pair, I get results such as

"Primer: Imprimador o aprestador", and
"senior vice president: primer vice presidente".

Could it be arranged to that only results with "primer" in the source language are shown?

Thanks.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Miembro 2000
griego al inglés
+ ...
possible Jul 15, 2007

Hi Karin,
Is option "Also search reverse language pair (target into source)" unchecked?
Maria

Karin Kutscher
inglés al español
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Yes, thanks for asking Jul 15, 2007

Maria Karra wrote:

Hi Karin,
Is option "Also search reverse language pair (target into source)" unchecked?
Maria

Yes.

[Edited at 2007-07-15 21:11]

Maria Karra
Estados Unidos
Miembro 2000
griego al inglés
+ ...
probably a bug Jul 15, 2007

I tried searching for "primer" in English > Spanish
and I got

first cod -> primer huevo, primera pelota, primer cojón
Blow Wide Open (sports) -> cede el primer puesto / acaba cediendo el primer puesto
first ever -> primer / inicial

among other results. Option " Also search reverse language pair" is unchecked (by default), so this isn't working as it should. I use KOG a lot and this has always worked correctly; maybe it got broken recently
... See more
and I got

Blow Wide Open (sports) -> cede el primer puesto / acaba cediendo el primer puesto

among other results. Option " Also search reverse language pair" is unchecked (by default), so this isn't working as it should. I use KOG a lot and this has always worked correctly; maybe it got broken recently. Could you please submit it as a bug via a support ticket?

Maria
Collapse

Karin Kutscher
inglés al español
+ ...
I will Jul 15, 2007

Maria Karra wrote:

and I got

among other results. Option " Also search reverse language pair" is unchecked (by default), so this isn't working as it should. I use KOG a lot and this has always worked correctly; maybe it got broken recently. Could you please submit it as a bug via a support ticket?

Maria

I will but I guess that's extra work for me. I posted the bug here so it could be killed on the spot and by mass aggregation (of all affected parties). LOL

Maria Karra
Estados Unidos
Miembro 2000
griego al inglés
+ ...
:) Jul 15, 2007

Well, if you don't feel like describing the problem again in your support request, just include a link to this thread.

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
España
Local time: 11:26
Miembro
polaco al español
+ ...

MODERADOR
It does work correctly Jul 15, 2007

Karin and Maria,

Everything works correctly.
If you search in a pair ENG>SPA for the word "PREMIER", it will show you all the results of KOG with a word "premier" in English (origin) or in Spanish (target).

If the option "Also search reverse language pair" was checked, you will get all the results with the word "premier" in English (origin), English (target), Spanish (origin) and Spanish (target).

The problem is that either in Spanish or in English d
... See more
Karin and Maria,

If you search in a pair ENG>SPA for the word "PREMIER", it will show you all the results of KOG with a word "premier" in English (origin) or in Spanish (target).

If the option "Also search reverse language pair" was checked, you will get all the results with the word "premier" in English (origin), English (target), Spanish (origin) and Spanish (target).

The problem is that either in Spanish or in English does exist a word "premier" (a word spelled exactly the same in both languages). And as there is no way of defining which "premier" are you looking for: the English word or the Spanish one.

That's why you can see search results with "premier" in Spanish or in English.

Regards,

M.

[Edited at 2007-07-15 22:22]
Collapse

Maria Karra
Estados Unidos
Miembro 2000
griego al inglés
+ ...
I'm not so sure it works correctly Jul 15, 2007

Monika Jakacka wrote:

Right, that's how it works; but I'm not sure it's the way it should work. (Apparently I was wrong when I said it's always worked correctly. I really thought it did!)

When I select English into Spanish (with option "Also search reverse language pair" unchecked) it looks in the English->Spanish KudoZ pair (i.e. those questions that have been asked in English -> Spanish). If I check that option it also looks in Spanish->English KudoZ. It doesn't care whether the search term is in the source or the target language.

So the question is: when I search in one direction only, isn't it implied that my search term is the source term? I really think this should be fixed, otherwise we'll get tons of irrelevant results.

Maria

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
España
Local time: 11:26
Miembro
polaco al español
+ ...

MODERADOR
:) Jul 16, 2007

Maria Karra wrote:

So the question is: when I search in one direction only, isn't it implied that my search term is the source term? I really think this should be fixed, otherwise we'll get tons of irrelevant results.

I agree, it should be defined. Or, at least, there should be an option for defining it each time you search for a term (like the other options available).´

By now, it was always working as it is working right now.

M.

[Edited at 2007-07-16 09:49]

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:26
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
You are right! Jul 16, 2007

The KudoZ search should retrieve the search term in the source language only, unless the box " Also search reverse language pair (target into source)" was selected.

This is a bug, thanks Karin for reporting this and for submitting the support ticket, I have assigned it to a developer.

Regards,
Enrique

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
Solved Jul 18, 2007

Enrique wrote:

The KudoZ search should retrieve the search term in the source language only, unless the box " Also search reverse language pair (target into source)" was selected.

This issue has been solved, thanks for reporting it!

Kind regards,
Enrique

Karin Kutscher
inglés al español
+ ...
Not yet Jul 18, 2007

I reopened the ticket this morning, please ask Gastón.

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
The feature is working properly now Jul 18, 2007

Karin Kutscher wrote:

Not yet

I reopened the ticket this morning, please ask Gastón.

Hi Karin,

I know you re-opened the ticket, but I re-closed it, you should have received a notification. The feature is working properly now. The two examples submitted by you included the search term in the source text.

Regards,
Enrique

Karin Kutscher
inglés al español
+ ...
I'm terrible sorry to insist Jul 18, 2007

Enrique,

Please check again. The two examples I submitted at the ticket page show the search term in the target text.

I will not reply again to this thread, I'm too busy. Thanks for any help anyway!

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
The feature is working properly Jul 18, 2007

Karin Kutscher wrote:

Enrique,

Please check again. The two examples I submitted at the ticket page show the search term in the target text.

I will not reply again to this thread, I'm too busy. Thanks for any help anyway!

Since the issue is mentioned here I will answer here (already done in the ticket).

Karin objeted that when searching for "primer" from English to Spanish you still get that word in the target language, for instance "primer consenso" and "imprimación / primera capa / primera mano / ".

My answer in the ticket was that in both examples the word "primer" was in the source text (as well as in the target one), so it was correct for the search mechanism to retrieve them.

consensus primer pair -> primer consenso

primer -> ...imprimación / primera capa / primera mano / primer...

Regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bilingual KOG output

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »