Answering: Is it possible to edit my own answer?
Thread poster: Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Local time: 08:13
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Mar 18, 2007

Sometimes I suggest answers to questions where too little/none context has been given; when context is then given at a later moment, I want to edit my answer. This is not possible, is it? I think it should be …

The problem is that when I then enter a note to my answer, this note doesn't really catch the asker's (or any other's) eyes apparently, and someone else comes along at a later stage and suggests the very same (new) term as in my note and gets the points. I know that no Pro
... See more
Sometimes I suggest answers to questions where too little/none context has been given; when context is then given at a later moment, I want to edit my answer. This is not possible, is it? I think it should be …

The problem is that when I then enter a note to my answer, this note doesn't really catch the asker's (or any other's) eyes apparently, and someone else comes along at a later stage and suggests the very same (new) term as in my note and gets the points. I know that no ProZ member would do it, but he/she could theoretically have 'borrowed' my new suggestion.

Should I make a second answer in stead of putting a note? The second answer would be much more visible.
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:13
English to Arabic
+ ...
Hide Mar 18, 2007

When I think of another answer which is completely unrelated to my first answer, I prefer to hide my old answer and suggest a new one, because, as you say, if you add a note only the old answer appears in the summary.

I agree that it would be good to have an "edit answer" function, even if it means that the edited answer will have to move to the end of the answers queue (which it should, for obvious reasons).

[Edited at 2007-03-18 10:55]

Francis Lee (X)
Francis Lee (X)
German to English
+ ...
Comment on the "new" answer! Mar 19, 2007

Peter Fl. Adolph wrote:
I know that no ProZ member would do it, but he/she could theoretically have 'borrowed' my new suggestion.

What are you trying to say? That Platinum members are more honest? I fear not

Anyway - if someone else does indeed "borrow" your proposal, I'd suggest adding a Neutral comment to their answer. That will certainly draw attention to your input ...

Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correction to my statement Mar 19, 2007

Right you are, Francis. I was not accurate in my statement and didn't want to offend non-members (being a member I just forgot that there are ProZ.com users that are not members): The problem does not relate to any specific group of ProZ.com users. Sorry for the inaccuracy.

Peter

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Hide and Enter a New Answer Mar 19, 2007

At the bottom below your answer there is a link for "Hide this answer (reason required):".

Just hide the old answer and enter a new one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Answering: Is it possible to edit my own answer?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »