Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 22:58
عضو (2002)
روسي إلى أنجليزي
Dec 3, 2002

Hello!

I\'ve sucessfully updated to version 1.01, but other than the headline for each question I cannot see any text in Cyrillic!

So when someone answers, I can read the answer but not the explanation!

Any ideas?

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:58
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
KudozNET and Cyrillic Dec 3, 2002

Hello Elizabeth,

do you see exactly the same display problems in all cases, or is one question displayed correctly, while another one is not?

And is this problem related to a certain language combination, eg. English > Russian, or Russion > English?

In other words, is there any rule can be applied to all cases? Or are there exceptions?

Thanks for your help!

Hermann

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 06:58
روسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
See postings in another string Dec 3, 2002

Hermann, see the postings from me, Elizabeth and Yakov Tomara in the string \"KudoZ.NET: what is it for?\" Elizabeth & I both have the English version of Windows, and for us, the questions appear in Cyrillic but the answers don\'t. Yakov has the Russian version, and for him, the answers appear in Cyrillic but the questions don\'t. Since I only take Russian-English questions, I can\'t say what happens in English-Russian.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
ألمانيا
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
General problems with accented characters Dec 4, 2002

Questions posted with Kudoz.NET seem to have a general problem with non-ASCII characters.

See e.g.:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&id=320810

Here \"Sándor\" appears as \"S?ndor\".

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/320209

René -> Ren?

Geneviève -> Genevi?ve

<
... See more
Questions posted with Kudoz.NET seem to have a general problem with non-ASCII characters.

See e.g.:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&id=320810

Here \"Sándor\" appears as \"S?ndor\".

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/320209

René -> Ren?

Geneviève -> Genevi?ve

This last link is particularly interesting since not all text is displayed without accents: the titles and bodies of the answers are perfectly fine. Can this be an encoding problem on the sub-page level?

EB Communications

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-04 07:56 ]
Collapse

Zhaxe
Zhaxe
أنجليزي
how about unicode? Dec 4, 2002

They really should use something like Unicode, and transfer everything not Unicode to that format. What happens if you translate Chinese>Russian pair? For me, I will just keep using the online version!

Hermann Bruns
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
KudozNET and Cyrillic Dec 4, 2002

Dear KudoZ.NET users,

thanks for sending the detailed bug reports and descriptions of the display problems.

I have just released version 1.02 of the KudoZ.NET program. Please use the automatic download function of the KudoZ.NET program, or download the update at this location:

http://www.proz.com/xml/programs/KudoZnet_Update.exe
... See more
Dear KudoZ.NET users,

thanks for sending the detailed bug reports and descriptions of the display problems.

I have just released version 1.02 of the KudoZ.NET program. Please use the automatic download function of the KudoZ.NET program, or download the update at this location:

http://www.proz.com/xml/programs/KudoZnet_Update.exe

On my German systems both the questions and the answers are now displayed correctly.

If there are still display problems, please click on the small command button \"I\" to view the question in the browser and compare the result. For, in some cases the data saved in the KudoZ database do not seem to be correct. Of course, the KudoZ.NET program cannot fix these data. Still, if you find a general display problem, please let me know. Maybe, there is a solution for these problems, too.

Thanks

Hermann
Collapse

Hermann Bruns
أنجليزي إلى ألماني

Hello Endre,

the problems of the KudoZ.NET program and the display problems of the browser, when a question came from the KudoZ.NET program, are somehow related, but they are different in kind. I will try to fix the latter in the next few hours.

Hermann

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 06:58
روسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
Version 1.02 solves Cyrillic problem Dec 4, 2002

Thanks, Hermann, I have just downloaded version 1.02 and tried it. All the English is in Latin characters and all the Russian in Cyrillic characters, so that\'s a problem solved.

Hermann Bruns
أنجليزي إلى ألماني

Hello Endre,

I have fixed the browser display problem. Please check the questions where you have found display problems. Now everything should be displayed correctly.

Best regards

Hermann

Hermann Bruns
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
how about unicode? Dec 4, 2002

Hello Zhaxe,

good question!

And the KudoZ.NET program is the answer! All display problems reported here were related to the fact that the KudoZ.NET program uses Unicode while the internet site does not (yet). What I have done today is to write functions which do conversions from Unicode to different non-Unicode character sets and vice versa, all mixed.

So, if you want to ask Japanese-Russian questions without having to bother about c
... See more
Hello Zhaxe,

good question!

And the KudoZ.NET program is the answer! All display problems reported here were related to the fact that the KudoZ.NET program uses Unicode while the internet site does not (yet). What I have done today is to write functions which do conversions from Unicode to different non-Unicode character sets and vice versa, all mixed.

So, if you want to ask Japanese-Russian questions without having to bother about character encodings you need to use the KudoZ.NET program. With the KudoZ.NET program you can work with ALL languages, and they will all displayed correctly (you only need to install the fonts needed, which are available on the Windows installation CDs).

Best regards

Hermann
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
ألمانيا
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
Accented characters are OK now. Dec 5, 2002

Thanks Hermann!!

I hope it is not this correction that caused a few new anomalies to appear in the formatting of Kudoz questions... See http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=6855&forum=14&0 .

Regards, Endre

EB Communications

Hermann Bruns
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
Formatting is also OK now Dec 5, 2002

Hell Endre,

Yes, I introduced the bug when adapting the scripts to the KudoZ.NET program.

Now also the formatting whould be OK. Please check.

Thanks for informing me about the bug!

Cheers

Hermann

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudozNET and Cyrillic

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »