May I insist? Non-members as Featured Translator.
Thread poster: Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:56
French to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 2, 2006

5 of top 10 General Kudoz champions are not members.
3 of top 10 Kudoz champions last year are not members.
I know:
"If you don't pay, you don't play."
"What you want, is your photo, for free."
(No such thing: I'm not "top" at all).
But I must insist:
Wouldn't be nice to see their picture sometimes?
I think they do a lot for Proz.com
Regards.

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:56
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Also top posters in forums Oct 2, 2006

Mmh the kudoz leaders do already have a top position.

I think it would be fairer to pay extra attention to non-members who are
- top posters in forums.
- top posters of Glossaries. (Gloss Post)
- who are attending a lots of Powwwos spreading the idea of Proz
- make the most entries in the BB

But of course it is not just about quantity here.

So
... See more
Mmh the kudoz leaders do already have a top position.

- top posters in forums.
- who are attending a lots of Powwwos spreading the idea of Proz
- make the most entries in the BB

But of course it is not just about quantity here.

So really fair would be some extra attention to non-members who
- post useful/witty replies in the forums.
- post useful glossaries. (Gloss Post)
- who are attending a lots of Powwwos behaving very well and
spreading the idea of Proz
- make the most revealing entries in the BB

Regards
Steffi
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Kudos and visibility Oct 3, 2006

Hi Juan,
I don’t agree with that sorry.
Imo proz is worth more than the current price of membership. 100 bucks you make in half the first job you get thanks to this site, hosting a web site elsewhere costs the same with no other perks, plus one job for someone who don’t pay because you couldn’t check ‘em out on the blue board will probably cost you a lot more than that.

Yeah I know, your post isn’t really about that and everyone is free to do with their dosh as
... See more
Hi Juan,
I don’t agree with that sorry.
Imo proz is worth more than the current price of membership. 100 bucks you make in half the first job you get thanks to this site, hosting a web site elsewhere costs the same with no other perks, plus one job for someone who don’t pay because you couldn’t check ‘em out on the blue board will probably cost you a lot more than that.

Yeah I know, your post isn’t really about that and everyone is free to do with their dosh as they see fit.
But why should people who use this site and don’t support it by putting their hand in their pockets get front page visibility or the same advantages and service as those who do think it’s a worthwhile investment?

The amount of kudos you answer could just mean you spend a lot of time there and jump in quick, or that there are very few people answering in a particular pair, and some answerers prefer just to give the occasional answers that other people can’t fathom.
The first person might answer 10 questions per day, the second person one every 10 days.

But who can say which of them is the better translator and which gives the most valuable contribution to the kudos glossary and this site in general?

Besides that a lot of kudos activity is already giving you a lot of proz visibility for free.

Want more? Pay for it.

Be interesting to see what would happen if this site went Members only one day. I reckon a lot of people on a freebie at the mo would realise it’s well worth 8€ a month.
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Disagree with the notion that things here should be free Oct 5, 2006

Sorry, Juan, but I disagree. What's keeping you from becoming a paid member, anyway?

Totally agree with Jo Macdonald here (funny it should be a Scot defending a payable service. - this is a lighthearted pun, please don't sue me!)

Tuliparola wrote:

I disagree (after seeing some of the things that are mindlessly entered into the glossaries by askers.)

Tuliparola wrote:

So really fair would be some extra attention to non-members who
- post useful glossaries. (Gloss Post)

I agree - but that would be hard to measure (i.e. it can't be determined automatically.

Regards,
Benjamin

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:56
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I disagree too Oct 5, 2006

Dear Juan,

the visibility in the Home page is not the major advantage "sold" for the membership fee, actually, IMHO it is almost symbolic and it has very little practical importance, but the principle here is that paying members should have some advantage.

The principle is fair and it should not be diluted unnecessarily.

Please note that other advantages and features, mainly the increase in visibility in the directories and when applying for a job, the l
... See more
Dear Juan,

the visibility in the Home page is not the major advantage "sold" for the membership fee, actually, IMHO it is almost symbolic and it has very little practical importance, but the principle here is that paying members should have some advantage.

The principle is fair and it should not be diluted unnecessarily.

Please note that other advantages and features, mainly the increase in visibility in the directories and when applying for a job, the low cost web hosting, and many others, are much more valuable in practical terms, and still I don't see it fair to give away any of them.

bye
Gianfranco
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:56
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Right. Oct 6, 2006

I was only thinking of some sort of kindness toward those who don't pay but give a lot here... their picture, some minutes... yes, I know, "They got a lot too, for free."
Regards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

May I insist? Non-members as Featured Translator.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »