Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:05
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Totally agree with mediamatrix Aug 7, 2006

mediamatrix wrote:

In addition to requiring the asker to share their self-found answers (where that is the case), I suggest that the 'recommendation' to wait 24 hours before grading/closing should be converted into a constraint imposed by the interface software.

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Another suggestion concerning the closing of kudoz Aug 7, 2006

It happens quite often to me to ask a question and 4 or 5 days later (I'm not sure of the deadline) I receive an e-mail with "please grade your questions" and it happens quite often that I'm in the middle of a translation, when I haven't read yet what was behind and don't quite know what answer to chose.

Would it possible to extend the deadline of closing the questions? To 10 days, for instance?

Sometimes it is a bit annoying to stop what you are doing in order to check
... See more
It happens quite often to me to ask a question and 4 or 5 days later (I'm not sure of the deadline) I receive an e-mail with "please grade your questions" and it happens quite often that I'm in the middle of a translation, when I haven't read yet what was behind and don't quite know what answer to chose.

Would it possible to extend the deadline of closing the questions? To 10 days, for instance?

Sometimes it is a bit annoying to stop what you are doing in order to check what was before and what answer fits best. And if you don't close/grade a question the system will automatically do it based on the number of agrees, which may not be the correct answer.
Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
We agree again Mats Aug 7, 2006

Mats Wiman wrote:

The least one can do after maybe several colleagues have tried to help you is to demand to be enlightened about what was the end result and "Found elsewere" is truly unsatisfactory and in essence rude.
Therefore that option ought to be changed into at least:
"The word/phrase I finally used was:........................................."
"Reason:....................................................................................."

Fantastic idea

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
24-hour wait and extending deadline Aug 7, 2006

Ivana de Sousa Santos wrote:

I fully agree with Ivana. I do not like closing questions before I have finished a project, and sometimes that is a very long time.

As far as the "24-hour wait before closing questions" is concerned, I think this is actually being considered at the moment and may even be in the pipeline. (? anyone)

marie-christine périé
marie-christine périé  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:05
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Totally agreed Aug 7, 2006

Mats Wiman wrote:

Therefore that option ought to be changed into at least:
"The word/phrase I finally used was:........................................."
"Reason:....................................................................................."

That's a very good idea.

Extending the deadline of closing the questions is a good idea too, as long as reminders are still sent to the asker, so that h/she doesn't forget all about the question.

Also pleased to hear not being able to close a question before 24 hours is been considered.

Hello there?

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:05
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Reminders and robots Aug 7, 2006

Ivana de Sousa Santos wrote:

Sometimes it is a bit annoying to stop what you are doing in order to check what was before and what answer fits best. And if you don't close/grade a question the system will automatically do it based on the number of agrees, which may not be the correct answer.

Dear Ivana,

I believe (but I'm not 100% sure) that the site starts to send reminders only after 3 days a question is open, further reminders are issued after 5 and 7 days, and finally, if the questions are still not closed, the mechanism to grade a question automatically (the so called "robot") kicks in, but only after 14 days.

I think that the timing, 3 days before the first reminder and 14 days before the robot, is quite sufficient to not make anyone feel excessively under pressure.

Regarding the 24 hrs limit

Many members and moderators have campaigned to have it made compulsory (nobody should be able to close a question before a fair amount of time has elapsed), but we have been told by Henry, several times, that he prefers to leave it as a "recommendation".

I believe the issue is closed and there are no plans to force a 24 hrs wait before closing, I'm afraid.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-08-07 16:53]

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 13:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Closed? Aug 7, 2006

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

Many members and modeerators have campaigned to have it made compulsory (nobody should be able to close a question before a fair amount of time has elapsed), but I have been told by Henry, several timesthat he prefers to leave it as a recommendation. I believe the issue is closed and there are no plans to force a 24 hrs wait before closing, I'm afraid.

Henry may well have closed the 'issue'.

But I'd respectfully suggest that comments made in this thread have in effect re-opened it.

MediaMatrix

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:05
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Gianfranco is right Aug 7, 2006

mediamatrix wrote:

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

Many members and modeerators have campaigned to have it made compulsory (nobody should be able to close a question before a fair amount of time has elapsed), but I have been told by Henry, several timesthat he prefers to leave it as a recommendation. I believe the issue is closed and there are no plans to force a 24 hrs wait before closing, I'm afraid.

Henry may well have closed the 'issue'.

But I'd respectfully suggest that comments made in this thread have in effect re-opened it.

MediaMatrix

We currently have no plans to impose a 24 hours' wait before closing a question.

Regards,
Enrique

marie-christine périé
marie-christine périé  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:05
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
pleased to hear from you, Aug 7, 2006

Enrique.
And what about the "answer found elsewhere". Are you going to consider amending it?

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Wrong end of the stick and suggestion to remedy that Aug 7, 2006

Enrique wrote:

We currently have no plans to impose a 24 hours' wait before closing a question.

My apologies, then, for providing the wrong impression. However, I am sure I read somewhere only yesterday (but cannot remember where and cannot find it) that it was still being considered.

This is totally off-topic, but surely communication between Proz.com members/users and staff could be improved. Suggestions are constantly being made in the forums but there is often no feedback whatsoever, so we are left wondering whether anybody noticed / it's been rejected / being considered / being worked on as we speak / etc. And there are so many threads these days that if there IS a reply in one of them, it will probably only get read by a small number of people. Would it therefore be possible to have a separate page summarising suggestions made / staff response / action taken (if any) / pending / etc. We could all then see at a glance what was actually going on and perhaps not feel quite so frustrated...

[Edited at 2006-08-07 15:50]

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hear! Hear! Aug 7, 2006

Nikki Graham wrote:

Would it therefore be possible to have a separate page summarising suggestions made / staff response / action taken (if any) / pending / etc. We could all then see at a glance what was actually going on and perhaps not feel quite so frustrated...

Excellent idea!

And it would also avoid us users wasting time drafting suggestions for things that are already in the pipeline or that have already been rejected.

More transparency, please, on the development front!

MediaMatrix

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
Yes, and so there should be nothing mandatory about reporting what was found "elsewhere" Aug 20, 2006

nico95 wrote:

I could understand why in some cases one would want to close a question without entering the answer found elsewhere:
I once had to close a question bc I had already delivered the translation. I did not enter the answer found (at first, since someone requested it afterwards) bc I did not find the only source encountered to be completely reliable. However, I had a tight deadline and the client did not provide feedback regarding terminology...

Yes, I had an instance where I closed the question and indicated "answer found elsewhere" - and this one person became OBSESSED with trying to get that term out of me. There was nothing to post, and I found it beyond rude that the person would not drop it. What if the term had been something proprietary, confidential, or as the case was, a term I didn't even have (so an honest mistake to have closed it that way - Oh horrors, that person did not get his/her way after being ruder than rude!)? That particular person had to start a rampage against me, being rude and nasty at every chance this person got, and has not come off it even to this day, because of ONE term that the person probably never would have needed in his/her career anyway!

Ok, perhaps it would be nice if someone shared the answer found elsewhere - but then you might get the same kind of obsessed nutcase as featured above, who instead might continue to go on and on and on about how your answer found elsewhere is wrong then (though that's another topic). So with some people, you can't win no matter what you do - because they think that they own this site and that every single question has to be handled and resolved as they see fit. Moving on once in awhile shows a hell of a lot of more professionalism than belaboring a point and holding grudges, all for supposedly the sake of the quality of the site.

So making this mandatory would be a big mistake, IMO. Let's respect the fact that sometimes, people can NOT post what they found elsewhere. Many times, that can mean that they left it up to the client/agency, and don't even HAVE the answer. And insisting over and over and over again about something on a closed question is ridiculous. An Asker should NOT be put in a position to have to explain this, either, others should learn at times to leave well enough alone.

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:05
German to English
Answer found elsewhere Aug 20, 2006

gad wrote:

Ok, perhaps it would be nice if someone shared the answer found elsewhere -

So making this mandatory would be a big mistake, IMO. Let's respect the fact that sometimes, people can NOT post what they found elsewhere.

A simple note telling the people who tried to help what the asker came up with or explaining that no answer was found or in the highly unusual case where the answer can't be divulged for confidential reasons (after asking such a question in the first place) would suffice and would be appreciated.

Kim

[Edited at 2006-08-20 20:27]

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:05
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Abuse of "closed without grading" option? Sep 7, 2006

An asker with 74 questions asked, 12 questions closed without grading, no feed-back whatsoever. This seems to me like abuse of the option to close a question without grading.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

answer found elsewhere

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »