There must be a direct link between the two Aug 2, 2006

[Edited at 2006-08-02 18:09]

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:10
nizozemština -> angličtina
+ ...
Confession of a KudoZ limits supporter Aug 2, 2006

Charlie, guilty as charged. I used 'panic button' in a discussion regarding a poll about limiting the number of questions a day to be asked (KudoZ).

I am all for having a limit on Kudoz, but think that this panic button would be a good safety net. We have all had it that we have a horrendous deadline with a brain mushy from tiredness or what not and seem to draw a blank on just about anything.

Re: panic button - I hope that none of us have to use this button so much th
... See more
Charlie, guilty as charged. I used 'panic button' in a discussion regarding a poll about limiting the number of questions a day to be asked (KudoZ).

I am all for having a limit on Kudoz, but think that this panic button would be a good safety net. We have all had it that we have a horrendous deadline with a brain mushy from tiredness or what not and seem to draw a blank on just about anything.

Re: panic button - I hope that none of us have to use this button so much that a limit has to set to prevent 'panic button abuse.' Just kidding!

I understand that certain languages have less or more of a problem but think that it would be a logistic nightmare to have the limits for certain language combinations and not for others. Some language combinations have less material available for research. For them the panic button would be handy and I am sure that nobody would frown at them if they use it more than others.

Great topic, Nikki!

Greetings from
Sunny Suriname
Collapse

claudia bagnardi
claudia bagnardi  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:10
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
Just one comment Aug 2, 2006

Only yesterday, I found a question in the Sp-En pair which had already more than six entries in the glossary.
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1481560

I think a reminder (in the upper box of the KudoZ posting form) inviting users to resort to the KOG before posting a question would help reduce question posting/repeated entries in the glossary.

Claudia

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finsko
Local time: 00:10
Člen (2003)
finština -> němčina
+ ...
How true! Aug 2, 2006

MarcPrior wrote:

I prefer such lists, particularly the private or semi-public (i.e. with open membership, but requiring a log-in) lists, for two reasons. Firstly, if I'm unsure of a term, I can consult colleagues without informing anyone capable of using Google of the fact. Besides the image issue, there is also one of confidentiality: I can often justify publishing one sentence from a customer's text when I know that it will be read by 150 fellow members of my professional association, but would not be willing to post it where it can be found by any search engine spider.

Secondly, proper discussion is not impeded on these lists by having to take place within the framework of a party game. The party game has a certain appeal, I admit, but once the novelty has worn off, it's just an obstacle. As anyone with experience of proper terminology discussion lists knows, a system which attempts to define terminology issues in terms of a quiz with a question and a range of possible answers is far too simplistic. That colleagues nevertheless manage to engage in some form of constructive discussion within the KudoZ system despite these constraints is a tribute to their ingenuity, not to KudoZ. Nevertheless, as discussions of KudoZ show with monotonous regularity, the signal-to-noise ratio on KudoZ, at least in some language pairs, is annoyingly low.

Marc

Now I understand why my Finnish colleagues are so unwilling to move to the Kudoz-system. I hadn't thought about these issues before. Thanks, Marc!

Regards
Heinrich

Stran v tématu:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confession of a KudoZ limits supporter

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »