Not authorised to view this question
Thread poster: French Foodie
French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:50
French to English
+ ...
May 19, 2006

A bit of a time-waster... I receive a Kudoz question to answer in my mailbox, and when I click on the link to the question, I get a page that tells me I am not authorised to view the question. If that is the case, why is it being sent to me?

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
That is amazing! May 19, 2006

Big Brother is now even censuring what we can or can't see?? I received a job notice-and found out I couldn't bid because I didn't meet the requirements: no Powerpoint!!! Of course I have Powerpoint but never thought anything so obvious had to be 'listed'. I never bid on jobs in any case, but the whole thing struck me as absurd. Not being 'authorized' to SEE a question takes this much much farther into absurdity. This is 2006-why is Proz still stuck in 1984? ... See more
Big Brother is now even censuring what we can or can't see?? I received a job notice-and found out I couldn't bid because I didn't meet the requirements: no Powerpoint!!! Of course I have Powerpoint but never thought anything so obvious had to be 'listed'. I never bid on jobs in any case, but the whole thing struck me as absurd. Not being 'authorized' to SEE a question takes this much much farther into absurdity. This is 2006-why is Proz still stuck in 1984? Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Please calm down, writeaway ... May 19, 2006

... as I am sure that there is not a single grain of "censorship" involved here. This rather looks like an ugly little glitch.

Also, the targeting of job postings to members/users who fulfil certain requirements (software, location etc.) has been in place for a veeery long time - it is not unusual at all that job posters make use of this feature. And it takes you one or two clicks to add PowerPoint to the portfolio of software you are working with - so why the fuss? On a related no
... See more
... as I am sure that there is not a single grain of "censorship" involved here. This rather looks like an ugly little glitch.

Also, the targeting of job postings to members/users who fulfil certain requirements (software, location etc.) has been in place for a veeery long time - it is not unusual at all that job posters make use of this feature. And it takes you one or two clicks to add PowerPoint to the portfolio of software you are working with - so why the fuss? On a related note, the fact that you never bid on jobs seems to indicate a certain degree of unfamiliarity with the jobs system as it is designed now.

@ Mara - I'd recommend to submit a support ticket describing the problem and quoting the URL of the question at hand.

Steffen

[Edited at 2006-05-19 08:54]
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:50
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
It is probably a private question for a team May 19, 2006

Mara Bertelsen wrote:
A bit of a time-waster... I receive a Kudoz question to answer in my mailbox, and when I click on the link to the question, I get a page that tells me I am not authorised to view the question. If that is the case, why is it being sent to me?

The question is most likely a "private" question. I cannot see either (and this is correct).

Members of ProZ.com team can use KudoZ to share private questions (for example, questions regarding a project on which the team is working) and these questions, for obvious reasons, are not visible to anyone else.

I'm member of one of such teams and we use KudoZ in this way.

The glitch is probably in the fact that you should not receive any notification, and these questions are, effectively, invisible to anyone, apart from the persons belonging to the team.

Only a programmer, having access to the KudoZ database, can investigate the problem, and fix it.

bye
Gianfranco

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
If it's a "glitch", then yes, I overreacted May 19, 2006

Steffen Walter wrote:

Also, the targeting of job postings to members/users who fulfil certain requirements (software, location etc.) has been in place for a veeery long time - it is not unusual at all that job posters make use of this feature. And it takes you one or two clicks to add PowerPoint to the portfolio of software you are working with - so why the fuss? On a related note, the fact that you never bid on jobs seems to indicate a certain degree of unfamiliarity with the jobs system as it is designed now.

@ Mara - I'd recommend to submit a support ticket describing the problem and quoting the URL of the question at hand.

Steffen

Hopefully it is a glitch. But the words were there.
Just saw Gianfranco's explanation. Whew. All the new 'improvements' seem to make anything possible...........

[Edited at 2006-05-19 09:32]

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks May 19, 2006

Thanks Gianfranco, you're right, it's probably a team question and the glitch is that I am receiving them. I'll take Steffen's advice and submit a support ticket.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Team question feature has also been in place for quite some time May 19, 2006

writeaway wrote:
Hopefully it is a glitch. But the words were there.
Just saw Gianfranco's explanation. Whew. All the new 'improvements' seem to make anything possible

Hi again,

The team question feature is nothing "new" under the sun either - it's just the fact that most of us are not that familiar with it because we don't use it.

Steffen

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 00:50
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

It's a bug May 19, 2006

I only just saw this forum posting now, but I sent a support ticket this morning when I got the same screen you saw, for a pair I moderate. It turns out it was a bug, now fixed. The wording has been changed to indicate that the question is in a queue, which was the case with the questions this morning.

Nancy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Not authorised to view this question

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »