Many thanks!

teju
teju  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
There's no need to apologize Jan 2, 2006

Thomas Ochiltree wrote:

As for the irritation that some might have felt at seeing so many questions (to which some answers were apparently available in the glossary), I can only say "I'm sorry, I guess I panicked."

Until then, please accept my apologies, and again, thanks for the replies. If anyone didn't receive kudos from me, please let me know. Someone pointed out that I should have waited 24 hours before posting, and again, if anyone feels disadvantaged by my newbie haste and misunderstanding of the kudos drill, I'm sorry.

Regards, Tom

There is no need to apologize. We were all neophytes at some point. I don't work with your language pair, but I would be willing to bet that most of the people who answered your questions were not irritated. One of the most common mistakes that new Prozians make is not checking the glossaries first. And they do that because they are not familiar with the site yet, not because they want to annoy anyone. Speaking from experience, I didn't know about the glossaries when I started, and I've seen many times when others have made this mistake too.

I say that the fact that you wrote in the forum to apologize says a lot about yourself. It's not often that someone takes the time to thank everyone who helped him with a particular project, and introduce himself.

As far as advice goes, it would helpful if you could take some translation courses at a university. Also, join a local translator's association where you live. Or join the American Translators Association. They have a great monthly magazine, publish a directory (online and hard copy) and have a great annual conference. And practice, practice, practice, even if it's pro bono, or for non-profit organizations that pay a little less. They will be thrilled to have you.

Welcome to ProZ Tom!

teju

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 18:41
English to French
+ ...
This site is a showcase Jan 3, 2006

Hi Tom, welcome to Proz.

The first challenge facing a newbie is "getting your abilities recognized," to quote your own words. As a newcomer, you are still under the radar. The good news is, this site can help with that too. The kudoz section is a great place to showcase your abilities, if you use it wisely.

Good luck!

Sarah

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thanks from a newbie

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »