Selection of KudoZ answers based on number of "agrees"
Автор темы: Muriel Vasconcellos
Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
английский => испанский
+ ...
The system works Nov 26, 2005

I don't agree with you, entirely.

This example proves natives and non-natives should participate in every question, because they are two different perspectives.

In this case maybe you were the one who missed something. The question was 'choferil', from an English-native. Even I (Spanish native) would have problems with that word. You know, Spanish is spoken in many countries and words change. Maybe the asker only wanted to know if 'choferil' was a Sausage Salesman or wh
... See more
I don't agree with you, entirely.

This example proves natives and non-natives should participate in every question, because they are two different perspectives.

In this case maybe you were the one who missed something. The question was 'choferil', from an English-native. Even I (Spanish native) would have problems with that word. You know, Spanish is spoken in many countries and words change. Maybe the asker only wanted to know if 'choferil' was a Sausage Salesman or whatever. When the first answer was "drivers" I said, great! I agree, this is the right direction. You come along 13hs later and provide a 'native technically correct much better answer' we will all appreciate for later queries to KudoZ, but the thing was "what the xxx means 'choferil'". If I am right (maybe this is not the case but it could happen), it was a tough call for the asker (a native) who made a decision to award the points to one of you.

Another case happened to me recently. There was a phrase in English that didn't really make sense to me in a translation, so at the last moment I classified it (wrongly) as an idiom. The target language was Spanish but fortunately an English native confirmed together with the 'native Spanish answerers' it was not an idiom. It was a tough call awarding the points, who helped more? I would like to have natives and non-natives for all my questions.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 21:23
Член ProZ.com c 2003
испанский => английский
+ ...
Автор темы
Both source and target perspectives are important; timing issues Nov 26, 2005

Fred Neild wrote:

I would like to have natives and non-natives for all my questions.

Fred, I totally agree with you. I would never filter out "non-natives." But let's hope that the answerer is native in either the source or the target language--not "almost-native."

Fred Neild wrote:

When the first answer was "drivers" I said, great! I agree, this is the right direction. You come along 13hs later and provide a 'native technically correct much better answer' we will all appreciate for later queries to KudoZ, but the thing was "what the xxx means 'choferil'". If I am right (maybe this is not the case but it could happen), it was a tough call for the asker (a native) who made a decision to award the points to one of you.

There's a timing issue here. I live in California, and I'm usually unavailable (either sleeping or attending to other commitments) at the peak KudoZ activity time.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Чили
Local time: 00:23
Член ProZ.com c 2002
испанский => французский
+ ...
Let's try with one open question Nov 27, 2005

Forgive me for coming back to the first issue, I might be too used to the "one topic per thread" rule and refuse the idea that the robot could put messages that advantage him, but as I do have an unclosed question I take it and look at it in the 3 different designs:

I first tried loging out, but it doesn't work, because I'm not recognized as the asker, so, after loging in I first look in the "Beta test New Design"; the messages I get are

* Answers in summary are ordered by confidence plus net agreement (shown in left column).

None of these answers are appropriate; do not remind me to select one

under each question I see:
Select this answer as most helpful - Note to answerer

In the oldest design I see

- Choose a winner (Asker only)

Grading KudoZ Questions
If you are the person who asked this question, you may award KudoZ points to the answer you find most helpful. To do so, click the button in the best answer below.

Accept this as the most helpful answer.
Decline this answer

In the standard KudoZ design or V3

At least 24 hours have passed since you posted this term.
If an answer is acceptable, please grade it below.

Grade/Decline

Grade below

Select this answer

If I read the FAQ, point 6.4 about open questions I see

4. What happens if a question isn't graded?

If a question has received answers but not been closed within three days, email is sent to the asker reminding him or her to grade. If the question remains open after four such reminders have been sent (over 2 weeks), an attempt is made to select the best answer automatically. An 'autograding robot' makes its selection based on the net number of peer 'agrees' received by each answer, according to the following rules:
- To be considered, an answer must have at least two "net agrees" (agrees-disagrees).
- The answer with the highest number of net agrees is selected.rn- If two answers have the same number of net agrees, the first* one entered is selected. (* Note: starting June 17, 2004, the robot was changed so that the *last* among answers with equal net agrees is selected. The idea is that if two answers gather the same number of net agrees, the one that did so in a shorter period of time may be better.)

If no answer has at least 2 net agrees, it remains open.

These are the instructions the robot has.

Muriel, please don't take offence, but I think that the message you refer to doesn't exist, however raising the issue about people who use the peeragreements to decide to whom they give the points is valid.

Answer to Deborah about moderators in pairs with Portuguese:

There will soon some decisions taken about this matter. If you already suggested names they should be in a list that staff already has, if you have suggestions you can send them now to staff (as Support Requests).

Claudia

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:
I, too, had never seen this message before. I found it by a fluke, as I explained above. Maybe the Robot put it there! To find it, I think, you would have to take a question you had asked that was still pending (I have none pending), copy the URL, and then open a new link to the Internet and search for that URL. Failing that, I guess there's no way to see it. I'm going to post a question and see if I can capture it again.

Seeing the message was a shocker for me and prompted me to raise the larger issue.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 21:23
Член ProZ.com c 2003
испанский => английский
+ ...
Автор темы
If Nov 27, 2005

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

under each question I see:
Select this answer as most helpful - Note to answerer

Hi Claudia!

The first part of this line is exactly what I'm referring to. I saw it under one question and did not see it under the others. Even if it were under all the questions and I missed seeing it, I think it's misleading. I interpreted it as an instruction to the asker to select that question.

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Local time: 12:23
китайский => английский
+ ...
I don't think it can be decided by number of agrees Nov 27, 2005

Allow me to rephrase the question: Does truth always lie in the hands of majority?

I guess everyone's answer is as good as mine.

Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
английский => испанский
+ ...
Timing Nov 27, 2005

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:
There's a timing issue here. I live in California, and I'm usually unavailable (either sleeping or attending to other commitments) at the peak KudoZ activity time.

I agree, everyone should be aware of that. Once, I used a (doubtful) suggestion because I had a delivery deadline, but I didn't choose the answer. I waited 24hs and I was rewarded because I received the perfect answer from a native like you. Besides awarding her the points I put her suggestion in the glossary. The other answer was fast but in this case I chose to reward the best answer because it will be very useful for me in the future.

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Selection of KudoZ answers based on number of "agrees"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »