Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:56
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
AI, KudoZ and ProZ Aug 11, 2023

Hurry, let’s all jump on the AI bandwagon before we even know where it’s going.

[Edited at 2023-08-11 02:33 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Dan Lucas
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Becca Resnik
Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:56
French to English
. Aug 11, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

But what is worse? Artificial Intelligence or Human Ignorance that we sometimes see?

The trouble with Artificial Intelligence is that Ignorant Humans are developing it.

Just a couple of examples off the top of my head:
- We have already seen that facial recognition software reproduces the racial biases of software developers (mainly cishet white males with a fair sprinkling of cishet Asian males).
- I have seen all sorts of articles showing pictures along the lines of "if Vikings could take selfies" as imagined by AI, which basically perpetuates the erasure of women as in Hollywood action movies.

Becca Resnik
Sonia Ordóñez
Tom in London

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:56
Japanese to English
+ ...
AI into KudoZ Aug 11, 2023

It's only a matter of time before the entire Proz.com staff is replaced by AI. The shape of things to come.

Kay Denney
Christopher Schröder
Tom in London
Barbara Carrara
writeaway

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 08:56
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Between the devil and the deep blue sea Aug 11, 2023

Kay Denney wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

But what is worse? Artificial Intelligence or Human Ignorance that we sometimes see?

The trouble with Artificial Intelligence is that Ignorant Humans are developing it.

- We have already seen that facial recognition software reproduces the racial biases of software developers (mainly cishet white males with a fair sprinkling of cishet Asian males).
- I have seen all sorts of articles showing pictures along the lines of "if Vikings could take selfies" as imagined by AI, which basically perpetuates the erasure of women as in Hollywood action movies.

I have just read a reply on Kudoz to which a "neutral" was given which, to me, is racial prejudice, even discrimination.
Also, on Kudoz I've already been a victim of "neutral" and "disagree" because I was replying in my language variant.
So, AI with racial biases and Humans with racial biases... take your pick.
I am of the opinion that we should wait for clarification from someone responsible about including AI in Kudoz and how they are going to do it so as not to harm their members. The sooner, the better.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
This is a man's man's man's man's world Aug 13, 2023

Kay Denney wrote:

You're right. I suspect that if women (and not men) had made the world the way it is, there would be a lot less of this AI nonsense, which is just BORING.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:56
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
ChatGPT in Kudoz Sep 12, 2023

It seems that many consider ChatGPT in Kudoz to be completely useless.
99,9% of the time it delivers garbage.
Will Proz take members' comments on its answers seriously?

One of the most common statements is that they will stop being paying members.
Just look here for ex
... See more
It seems that many consider ChatGPT in Kudoz to be completely useless.
99,9% of the time it delivers garbage.
Will Proz take members' comments on its answers seriously?

One of the most common statements is that they will stop being paying members.
Just look here for example: https://www.proz.com/kudoz/english-to-spanish/medical-general/7151410-flip-flop.html

Proz's reputation suffers through this developer gimmick.

(This comment was migrated by me from another, non gpt-related thread.)
Collapse

Tom in London
Jennifer Levey
Maria Rosa Fontana

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
That question is always in our minds Sep 12, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

...One of the most common statements is that they will stop being paying members.

That question is always in our minds: what am I getting for my Proz subscription?

So far, for me, other questions are: seems like a lot of money. Am I spending it wisely?

What worthwhile innovations and improvements is Proz doing to justify its existence? I don't see many. A1 is NOT an innovation and has encountered a lot of resistance from paying members.

Why does the Proz website look so very, very old-fashioned? Shouldn't they be investing in improving (radically) how it looks ?

[Edited at 2023-09-12 08:54 GMT]

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 16:56
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
How it looks is one important factor Sep 16, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:

...One of the most common statements is that they will stop being paying members.

That question is always in our minds: what am I getting for my Proz subscription?

So far, for me, other questions are: seems like a lot of money. Am I spending it wisely?

What worthwhile innovations and improvements is Proz doing to justify its existence? I don't see many. A1 is NOT an innovation and has encountered a lot of resistance from paying members.

Why does the Proz website look so very, very old-fashioned? Shouldn't they be investing in improving (radically) how it looks ?

[Edited at 2023-09-12 08:54 GMT]

I agree with your comment that AI is not an innovation and has encountered a lot of resistance from paying members, but I beg to differ with your point of how Proz looks.

I don't care that much about how Proz looks, but in terms of how user-friendly it is, I don't have any complaints.

You have your reasons and I have mine, but if I reflect myself on your question "Am I spending it wisely?", I can say that I am.
I continue to be a paying member for having full access to the BlueBoard and my directory ranking in the directory search. I consider this money as investing for advertising myself on Proz and at the same time doing what needs to be done towards risk management.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ should NOT incorporate AI into KudoZ

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »