Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:36
Serbian to English
+ ...
It's not that, it's an archaeological layer Oct 8, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

finnword1 wrote:

It's a Greek word anyway. As translators, we should be able to come up with an English word.

I am not a native English speaker, as you can see, but I know that in the origin of the word 'kudos', phonetics plays its part.
It is pronounced in American English with a final Z while in British English the final S is pronounced as it is (S).
I believe the same goes for Proz and Pros. Perhaps this was made on purpose for marketing purposes or to sound more creative to our translators' ears.
Please correct me (English speakers) in case I am wrong.
The Greek word is a singular noun, 'kydos', that I would translate into my native language as "louros".

It's not that, it's an archaeological layer from the early days of the Web, when the ongoing fad for computer nerds was to put a "z" as ending on everything and anything. Been there, didn't bother with the T-shirt.

BTW, there is already a "plain English translation" for kudos - simply "bragging rights". But "bragging rights" hasn't got nowhere near the same cachet as "kudos", has it?

To go back to the topic of this thread.

Kudoz points are the least imperfect ranking method.

Only real improvement would be take into account the proportion between Kudoz points and the number of answered question for anyone who answered more than 50 (or 100?) questions. Once past 100 - 200 Kudoz points that proportion is fairly consistent, and shows a strong correlation when it comes to differentiating between those who keep bombarding Askers with random guesses and those who tend to get it right.

Getting 120 Kudoz points after answering 300 questions certainly is not better than 100 points after answering 90 questions? Or you could put it this way: would you prefer to have a lawyer acting for you who won 20 cases out of 100 or one that won "only" 15 cases, but out of 20?

Limiting ranking to Kudoz points from last year makes no sense - especially if the ranking starts taking into account the proportion total points/number of answers.

As for

"The internet is a massive terminology treasure trove, but one littered with zillions of booby traps"

I couldn't agree more. But that's for another thread (or tens of threads).

expressisverbis
Elena Doroshenko

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »