Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:22
French to English
+ ...
Dec 3, 2009

Hello,

I've just had an unfortunate situation in which I'd posted a highly technical term and received two answers, one of which had three "Agrees", despite being posted by someone who freely admitted that his only qualification in the field (nuclear chemistry) was an O'level in chemistry. The other answer had arrived much later, so didn't have any agrees, even though it provided helpful background information. I really wasn't happy with either answer, so queried the term with my cl
... See more
Hello,

I've just had an unfortunate situation in which I'd posted a highly technical term and received two answers, one of which had three "Agrees", despite being posted by someone who freely admitted that his only qualification in the field (nuclear chemistry) was an O'level in chemistry. The other answer had arrived much later, so didn't have any agrees, even though it provided helpful background information. I really wasn't happy with either answer, so queried the term with my client, who is always very helpful, but can take a while to respond to queries - better late than never!

In the meantime, I went off to Vienna for a long weekend to attend the ProZ conference. When I returned, I found that the question had been automatically graded and closed in my absence. I hadn't been notified of this, although the last two grading reminders had reached my in-box whilst I was incommunicado. The answerer had also posted the "wrong" answer in the glossary.

I have submitted a support request about this, but it doesn't look as though anything can be done to reverse this automatic grading. I therefore wondered if it would be possible to have some kind of "Hold" button, where you could delay the onset of automatic grading if you know you're going to be away or are waiting for a response from the client or some other source. It doesn't always make sense to close a question before you have all the relevant information. I know the system was introduced to stop people abusing the system and not bothering to close questions, but I always close my questions and someone who isn't going to close anyway would be unlikely to press a Hold button. In any event, the hold in itself could be applied for a period of a week or two and then another reminder sent, but at least it would allow more time to find the best possible answer.

What does anyone else think?

Claire
Collapse

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Take responsibility for the grading Dec 3, 2009

Claire Cox wrote:

Claire

Simple solution...

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:22
English to French
Another option Dec 3, 2009

Hi Claire,

Without changing anything to the system, you could close without grading ("no acceptable answer") and reopen later - any asker can reopen questions they closed previously - to give points when you get the final answer. I have already done this a couple of times.

Stéphanie

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:22
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
That's new to me Dec 3, 2009

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

Hi Claire,

Without changing anything to the system, you could close without grading ("no acceptable answer") and reopen later - any asker can reopen questions they closed previously - to give points when you get the final answer. I have already done this a couple of times.

Stéphanie

I didn't know that. I know many people who demand explanations when askers close questions without grading plus without disclosing what the askers found instead of the suggested answers. I'm sure not many people are aware of this, since I've never come across situations which you mentioned. Or am I the only one who didn't know it till today?

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes but... Dec 3, 2009

David Russi wrote:

Claire Cox wrote:

Claire

Simple solution...

Hi David,

I've already explained why I wasn't able to do that in this case, as I didn't have access to the internet for the final reminders and I was awaiting a response from my client because I didn't fully understand what was meant. I can't award points if I'm not sure which (if any) is the right answer! As I've said, I always close my questions, but feel that in this case I didn't have time to do it justice.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wasn't aware you could re-open either Dec 3, 2009

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

Hi Claire,

Stéphanie

Hi Stéphanie,

Thanks for this - I wasn't aware that you could re-open questions either. The only possible problem I can see with that is that it might be overlooked, whereas at least with some sort of delay function, you'd still be reminded to close definitively.

Claire

mimi 254
mimi 254
French to English
+ ...
That's great! Dec 3, 2009

Didn't also know one could re-open a question closed; but how do you go about that? Post it anew or what?

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:22
English to French
Re-open questions Dec 3, 2009

If you go back to any question that you "closed without grading", you should be able to see right under the question the following buttons :

- "gloss" (to enter your own translation in the glossary)
- "un-close" (if for instance you finally decide to grade it)
- "post discussion entry"

Stéphanie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatic grading doesn't allow enough time

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »