Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:55
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Indeed Aug 26, 2009

Armorel Young wrote:

to keep out the answerers who rush to answer questions in field they are not really competent in just because they want to get the points?

As far as I can remember, the NFP option was mainly an anti-pointgrabbers measure. I don't personally answer these questions, but I nevertheless think that the option should be left open for those who want to use it.
Gianni

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 21:55
Member (2003)
French to English
I don't find the test/homework option useless Aug 26, 2009

Andreas Nieckele wrote:

I find the "from test/homework" option pretty useless to. What difference does it make where the question came from?

I think it is fair that a person should indicate if something is a test or homework. Specifically, translators taking translation tests should use this option so that answerers know this.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 21:55
Member (2003)
French to English
Agree with Astrid Aug 26, 2009

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

then we need a different button in its place:

It is placed on the screen for submitting an answer and says, "Click here to indicate that you do not wish to be awarded points, even if your answer is chosen as the most helpful."

I agree, that makes much more sense.

Polangmar
Polangmar
Poland
Local time: 03:55
English to Polish
+ ...
A trap for beginners Aug 26, 2009

David Russi wrote:
I would be that if you could survey users that pick that option, in many cases they have no idea what it means.

It's a very good point. "Not-for-points" questions are asked, at least in my pairs, almost exclusively by newbies, who stop doing this after asking one (sometimes two) question of this kind. Reasons: no answers, useless guesses, remarks from answerers (e.g. "why not for points?"). If there are no plans to remove this option, maybe an adequate warning should be added ("be prepared to get no/inferior response" or something on those lines)?

Rosa Elena Lozano Arton
Rosa Elena Lozano Arton  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:55
English to Spanish
In memoriam
I totally agree with your idea Aug 26, 2009

Fiona Peterson wrote:

I must admit I do not understand the rationale behind the "not for points" option. Surely if someone asks for help with a translation term, those who take the time and effort to answer should at least be rewarded?

There are plenty of sites on the web providing "free" translations; if someone wants a translation from a human as opposed to a machine they should at least, in my humble opinion, go to the trouble of thanking that person.

Just my 2 cents - any thoughts?

I really feel terrible when I find someone who poses a question and takes the not for points options. I never answer them, and not just for the sake of the points, but I feel like the person who is doing this, is not considering that he/she is getting non profit help from Proz that gladly share their knowledge with him/her. On the other hand when I see grading questions and I am not sure of what is it that people are asking about, I use the Discussion option putting there what might help, without asking for points, but just for the sake of giving a hint or comment that might be useful to the translator.

[Editado a las 2009-08-26 21:17 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Removal of "not for points" option?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »