Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:25
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not making it into the KOG? Why? Dec 2, 2008

Enrique,
Is it really true that the selected answer for an FVA type question will not be included in the KOG?
This was the first time I heard this, perhaps it was mentioned before, but I could not find it in the FAQ. I also re-read the little info-clicker on the KudoZ Asking form, and that text does not mention it either. (Perhaps should be included?)
What is the reason of excluding these "First validated" answers?

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:25
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
It was a community concern Dec 2, 2008

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

What is the reason of excluding these "First validated" answers?

Hi Katalin,

This decision was taken when the FVA questions were created, because many members were concerned that they could produce low quality answers that could deteriorate the KudoZ glossary.

Regards,
Enrique

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Why is there a risk of low quality answers? Dec 3, 2008

Does the low quality come from the automatic selection?
I mean that an answer with 2 net agrees will be accepted?

I am just curious, because if the automatic selection results in low quality Glossary entries, how come that the new Glossary Building KudoZ questions are based on the same principle like these FVA questions?
In the GBK system, the answer does make it to the Glossary, after being automatically selected based on peer-comments, 2 net agree is required.
Th
... See more
Does the low quality come from the automatic selection?
I mean that an answer with 2 net agrees will be accepted?

I am just curious, because if the automatic selection results in low quality Glossary entries, how come that the new Glossary Building KudoZ questions are based on the same principle like these FVA questions?
In the GBK system, the answer does make it to the Glossary, after being automatically selected based on peer-comments, 2 net agree is required.
The asker is not involved in the selection, and nobody else plays the role of "linguistic authority".

[Edited at 2008-12-03 04:55 GMT]
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:25
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Totally different features Dec 3, 2008

The GBK and the FVA grading methods are totally different. For instance one is closed when an answer gets two net agrees and the other does not close before 72 hours, GBK peer grading is filtered and FVA's is not, etc.

Regards,
Enrique

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Which brings us back to the original question... Dec 3, 2008

Thank you, Enrique, for the concise comparison, and thank you for pointing out why the GBK approach is much better for quality.
I think this is precisely the point.

If the features of the FVA and the GBK are so different (quite the opposite of each other), then given the fact that the aim of the GBK is quality above all, that means that the FVA features are pointing in the other direction.
GBK has a 72 hours window (because closing in a hurry does not help quality) - FVA
... See more
Thank you, Enrique, for the concise comparison, and thank you for pointing out why the GBK approach is much better for quality.
I think this is precisely the point.

If the features of the FVA and the GBK are so different (quite the opposite of each other), then given the fact that the aim of the GBK is quality above all, that means that the FVA features are pointing in the other direction.
GBK has a 72 hours window (because closing in a hurry does not help quality) - FVA closes as soon as there are 2 net agrees.
GBK peer comments are filtered (because unfiltered peer comments can skew the validity of the automatic selection) - FVA automatically selects the first answer with 2 net agrees, no matter if the agrees were posted by people not working in that specialty or let alone in that pair.
Furthermore, GBK questions award points (because you need to offer some sort of incentive if you want to attract quality answers) - FVA does not award any points.

Which brings us back to the original question:
Do we need this FVA at all?
It does not help the KudoZ glossary, and it does not help the asker, at least not any more than a regular KudoZ question.
Collapse

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
What about a change? Dec 3, 2008

I think Katalin’s arguments are valid.

However, I’m not sure this feature should be simply removed. It may benefit some categories of people. Maybe all it needs is some adjustment.

What about:

- extending the time-span for answers to 72 hours
- granting points like for the normal KudoZ questions
- calling this feature something in the line of “community-validated answers”
- including the validated answers in the KOG

i
... See more
I think Katalin’s arguments are valid.

However, I’m not sure this feature should be simply removed. It may benefit some categories of people. Maybe all it needs is some adjustment.

What about:

- extending the time-span for answers to 72 hours
- granting points like for the normal KudoZ questions
- calling this feature something in the line of “community-validated answers”
- including the validated answers in the KOG

i.e. making these questions similar to the glossary building questions? The model seems to be working …

The only difference would be, of course, that these questions would still be asked by users. And most important, the benefits of the current “first validated answer” feature would be preserved i.e. users wouldn’t have to learn all the mechanisms of the site if they don’t have the time or if they don’t want to.
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, it may work with improvements Dec 3, 2008

I like Mihai's suggestions to make these FVA's more like the GBK questions, and I would refine it the following way:

The FVA (or CVA, Community Validated Answers, I like this naming) questions would be posted by the askers using exactly the same interface as regular KudoZ questions (just as now), with the following changes:
There would be a radio button to select one of these two options:
A: I will grade the question (this would be the default setting, if a default is ne
... See more
I like Mihai's suggestions to make these FVA's more like the GBK questions, and I would refine it the following way:

The FVA (or CVA, Community Validated Answers, I like this naming) questions would be posted by the askers using exactly the same interface as regular KudoZ questions (just as now), with the following changes:
There would be a radio button to select one of these two options:
A: I will grade the question (this would be the default setting, if a default is needed)
B: I want the system to grade the question based on peer comments

If the asker picks option B, then the following features would be automatically applied (without exceptions):

1. The question would remain open for min. 72 hours (same as in GBK)
2. Participation in CVA (both answering and peer grading) would be limited to members of the community who (1) have the detailed field(s) of expertise among their "specialty" fields, (2) have the given language pair among their working pairs, and (3) are native in either the source or target language (same as the GBK, in fact I copied it from its description).
3. At the end of the 72 hours, the system would attempt to identify the most accurate translation by selecting the answer with the highest number of peer agrees (agrees minus disagrees, net must be 2 or higher). The question selected as the most accurate would be awarded 4 KudoZ PRO points, and the term is posted in the GBK glossary. (again, this is copied from GBK.)
4. If the automatic selection cannot be done, then the asker will be notified and will be given the option to grade the question himself/herself, or leave it as a CVA question, in which case the question will remain open until 2 net agrees are received.

The advantages of 1 and 2 are clearly defined in the GBK concept, I don't think I need to reiterate that.
The advantage of 3 is that the answerer gets points and the term goes into the KOG (as opposed to the current situation).
The advantage of 4 is that askers will have the option of closing the question themselves if the system was unable to do so (this is important, if someone reaches their asking limit).

The advantage of the whole system is that it limits the scope of people who can answer, which (at least somewhat) ensures the accuracy of answers, and cuts out the rush.
If the asker needs an answer quicker than 72 hours, or does not want the limitation on the participants, then he/she can either
A) still post the question as a CVA and use whatever answer first comes in, and let the system decide to pick whatever answer later, or
B) he/she can post the question as a regular KudoZ question, where he/she will be required to come back and grade it.

This may actually work.
Katalin

[Edited at 2008-12-03 15:40 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do we need this? - "First validated answer" in KudoZ

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »