Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
'hit rate' or 'points to closed answers ratio' (PTA)
Thread poster: lbone
lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:16
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
major problems / major purposes Oct 30, 2008

major problems / major purposes

My suggestion intends to solve two major problems, or it has two major purposes:
1) providing an open quality index for everyone
2) I hope to stop those, as Katalin said, "aggressive, machine-gun style point-hunters"

I did not suggest to change the current in
... See more

major problems / major purposes

My suggestion intends to solve two major problems, or it has two major purposes:
1) providing an open quality index for everyone
2) I hope to stop those, as Katalin said, "aggressive, machine-gun style point-hunters"

I did not suggest to change the current infrastructure that rankings are based on KudoZ points.

I have 2 suggestions:
1) adding a quality index as a reference to each one's KudoZ points.
2) removing those too low in this quality index from top positions on the list.

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

I do not fully against Katalin's suggestions (she proposed different options). We share the same big aim, but vary in some details.

Please be aware: Katalin's suggestions use an unpublished quality index (we cannot see other's index, so it is an unpublished index). That's actually similar to the one I suggested.

The major difference between Katalin's suggestions and mine, is actually my suggestion is too complex. But I see it as a small difference.

My answer is: complex does not matter; computer will do the complex part; we just need to read results.

Two notes about my model:
1) the model is clear and transparent; nothing is hidden.
2) my model is not that complex if we look at it this way - only questions that can produce points are used to calculate the Points - Questions ratio, that's all.

But if all people like one of Katalin's suggestions, I can also accept it. If one of Katalin's suggestions is accepted, I still suggest that, based on that new index, those "machine-gun style point-hunters" be removed from the top positions in our ranking list.

Jussi Rosti wrote:
One important danger to consider

Iza Szczypka wrote:
To second Jussi

megane_wang wrote:
I agree with Iza

All your concerns are people will be or will very possibly be discouraged from answering questions to some extent if this index is applied.

But I did not suggest to change the current infrastructure that ranking is based on KudoZ points.

So based on the current ranking scheme, those who get more KudoZ points will be ranked higher (though a new qualify index is attached to his/her KudoZ points). Those who answer less or do not answer at all will be ranked lower and lower.

So as long as rankings are based on KudoZ points, people will want to answer. Those who do not answer, or answer less will finally find, they are dropping down lower and lower on the list, and finally they will again want to answer.

Even if those on the top page do not want to answer, there are enough others who want to improve their rankings and want to answer. But if someone has already been listed very high, does he/she really need to be afraid of any minor changes?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'hit rate' or 'points to closed answers ratio' (PTA)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »