Thread poster: Bjørnar Magnussen
Bjørnar Magnussen
Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:12
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Oct 10, 2008

The General rules for KudoZ states that:

"3.3 In general, an answerer should submit no more than one answer per question. Occasional exceptions are allowed, but users are not permitted to make a habit of providing multiple answers to single KudoZ questions." (http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_answ/3.3#3.3)

Following a discussion with a colleague, I would like
... See more
The General rules for KudoZ states that:

"3.3 In general, an answerer should submit no more than one answer per question. Occasional exceptions are allowed, but users are not permitted to make a habit of providing multiple answers to single KudoZ questions." (http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_answ/3.3#3.3)

Following a discussion with a colleague, I would like to ask for clarification of "providing multiple answers". Clearly, the case 1. below is covered by the rule, but what about 2. and 3.?

1. Pressing the answer button more than once.
2. Pressing the answer button only once, but providing multiple answer alternatives in the target term field.
3. Pressing the answer button only once, providing only one target term, but suggesting other answer alternatives in the "explanation" field.
Collapse

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
My two cents Oct 10, 2008

I think the rule should apply to case .3 only.

The problem is that sometimes when you write several suggestions in your explanation, other answerers don't read them and suggest exactly the same.

Anyway, I think .2 should be avoided, because I find this too unclear, especially when the suggestions given are very different. Moreover, such too long and multiple answers are often entered as is in the glossary - I personally prefer when glossary entries are short.
... See more

The problem is that sometimes when you write several suggestions in your explanation, other answerers don't read them and suggest exactly the same.

Anyway, I think .2 should be avoided, because I find this too unclear, especially when the suggestions given are very different. Moreover, such too long and multiple answers are often entered as is in the glossary - I personally prefer when glossary entries are short.

Stéphanie
Collapse

Bjørnar Magnussen
Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only apply to case 1. and 2.? Oct 10, 2008

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

I suppose you mean that the rule should be applied to case 1. and 2., but not to case 3. In other words, users are not permitted to make a habit of 1. and 2., but can feel free to 3.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:12
English to Arabic
+ ...
Case 1 only, as I understand it Oct 10, 2008

My understanding is that it covers case 1 only.

When I try to submit a 2nd answer to a question by pressing the Answer button for the 2nd time, I get the message "You have already submitted an answer to this question. You may submit another answer, but bear in mind that systematically offering multiple translations is against the rules."

Therefore, the term "submit an answer" mentioned in rule 3.3 refers to the process of pressing the "Answer" button and typing into the
... See more
My understanding is that it covers case 1 only.

When I try to submit a 2nd answer to a question by pressing the Answer button for the 2nd time, I get the message "You have already submitted an answer to this question. You may submit another answer, but bear in mind that systematically offering multiple translations is against the rules."

Therefore, the term "submit an answer" mentioned in rule 3.3 refers to the process of pressing the "Answer" button and typing into the answer box. It does not refer to providing alternatives, whether in the term field or the explanation field.

[Edited at 2008-10-10 09:59]
Collapse

Pablo Grosschmid
Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Concur with Nesrin - But for case 2... Oct 10, 2008

I also understand that rule 3.3 only applies to case 1.

However, if someone gives in one answer a series of alternatives having different meanings in the target language, nothing prevents anyone to submit an answer with only the alternative(s) she/he deems appropriate, and include an explanation about why the others are bad, and/or give a disagree only in respect to the latter ones.

This may discourage some point-chasers who just answer copying everything they find in d
... See more
I also understand that rule 3.3 only applies to case 1.

However, if someone gives in one answer a series of alternatives having different meanings in the target language, nothing prevents anyone to submit an answer with only the alternative(s) she/he deems appropriate, and include an explanation about why the others are bad, and/or give a disagree only in respect to the latter ones.

This may discourage some point-chasers who just answer copying everything they find in dictionaries.
Collapse

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
oui Oct 10, 2008

Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

I suppose you mean that the rule should be applied to case 1. and 2., but not to case 3. In other words, users are not permitted to make a habit of 1. and 2., but can feel free to 3.

Yes, sorry, I wrote too fast !

Laurence Forain
Laurence Forain  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Case 3 may be useful Oct 10, 2008

Indeed I may be out of the rules because sometimes, I press the button "submit an answer" once but give an alternative translation in the explanation field.
Not opposite translations though, but some additionnal terms that may be helpful depending on the context of the whole text that we do not have in the question (we sometimes even do not have context at all!!).
I agree (again) with Stéphanie about the fact that other answerers should not use one of our suggestions to make an entr
... See more
Indeed I may be out of the rules because sometimes, I press the button "submit an answer" once but give an alternative translation in the explanation field.
Not opposite translations though, but some additionnal terms that may be helpful depending on the context of the whole text that we do not have in the question (we sometimes even do not have context at all!!).
I agree (again) with Stéphanie about the fact that other answerers should not use one of our suggestions to make an entry, Not very fair indeed, I grant an "agree" in this case, mentionning the term I prefer.
Sometimes, I make an entry with a new term/expression that is pretty close to an existing answer but different in the same time and I do not forget to thank the answerer for giving me the idea of that particular answer. Then the asker is free to choose whose answer helped the most.
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Alternatives perfectly legitimate Oct 12, 2008

Hi Bjørnar,

I concur with Nesrin and Laurence. On a related note, it can often be very helpful indeed to provider several alternative terms/phrases within one and the same answer in order to offer a variety of suggestions the asker can choose from (especially in a marketing/advertising context, or if there is no context at all). Very often, there is more than one appropriate solution, so I'd consider the submission of several suggestions in one answer perfectly legitimate. <
... See more
Hi Bjørnar,

I concur with Nesrin and Laurence. On a related note, it can often be very helpful indeed to provider several alternative terms/phrases within one and the same answer in order to offer a variety of suggestions the asker can choose from (especially in a marketing/advertising context, or if there is no context at all). Very often, there is more than one appropriate solution, so I'd consider the submission of several suggestions in one answer perfectly legitimate.

My 2c,
Steffen
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clarification of "providing multiple answers"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »