Suggestion - Not being able to post another couple of questions as long as a user has not closed
Thread poster: savaria (X)
savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
Local time: 11:22
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sep 18, 2008

his previous ones.

There are a couple of askers who do not close their questions for even hundereds of years,and if there are no votes for and against certain answers,then the system is unable to close the question automaticly.

To wind up these answered,but not voted questions,I suggest that those people who have more than,say 10 questions(the number can be modified as you wish) open,could not ask further ones until they had not closed the earlier ones previously.
... See more
his previous ones.

There are a couple of askers who do not close their questions for even hundereds of years,and if there are no votes for and against certain answers,then the system is unable to close the question automaticly.

To wind up these answered,but not voted questions,I suggest that those people who have more than,say 10 questions(the number can be modified as you wish) open,could not ask further ones until they had not closed the earlier ones previously.

I am looking forward to hearing your opinion.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:22
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Seems like a good idea. Sep 18, 2008

Out of curiosity, I just checked to see what was the earliest question I answered which still remains open. It is dated February 3rd, 2002.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:22
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Already implemented Sep 18, 2008

Please check http://www.proz.com/faq/kudoz#kudoz_question_limit

If you have ten (10) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a week, you will not be allowed to ask further questions. Please grade and close these questions to continue asking.

Regards,
Enrique

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:22
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
OK, thanks, but old open questions are still a problem Sep 18, 2008

Thanks for reminding us of this. I now seem to remember I have heard of it.
It's an offshoot from the main question here, and I know it's been asked before, but could anything be done to wrap up my question of February 3rd 2002 and all subsequent ones, and for everyone else's questions as well?

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I know this is supposed to be the case... Sep 18, 2008

Enrique wrote:

Please check http://www.proz.com/faq/kudoz#kudoz_question_limit

If you have ten (10) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a week, you will not be allowed to ask further questions. Please grade and close these questions to continue asking.

Regards,
Enrique

but this morning I saw a question whose asker is reported to have 135 open questions - how is this possible? Obviously I can't post the link here but I'll be happy to send it to you in private, if you like.

(I haven't actually checked to see if none of them have received a valid answer but it seems unlikely!)

Edited, as I have now checked a few of the open questions. The first three have actually received no answers at all, and the asker had declined all the answers offered for the other four I looked at - without giving any comment. So technically he/he is operating within the letter of the Kudoz rules, although somewhat against the spirit, I feel.

[Edited at 2008-09-18 16:31]

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Yes, it is supposed to be the case but Sep 18, 2008

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

but this morning I saw a question whose asker is reported to have 135 open questions - how is this possible? Obviously I can't post the link here but I'll be happy to send it to you in private, if you like.

(I haven't actually checked to see if none of them have received a valid answer but it seems unlikely!)

Agree, I sometimes notice that some people have 20, 30 or even more open questions.

For exemple, someone in my pair EN>FR has 47 open questions. Two were asked between July and today, meaning that s/he has not closed 45 questions asked before June 2008. How come that s/he is still able to ask new questions ? As an asker, I am not allowed to do that, I am always asked to close previous questions before asking new ones.

Stéphanie

[Edited at 2008-09-18 19:53]

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
valid answers Sep 18, 2008

Enrique wrote:

Other situations involve questions that have no answers, or where the answers received were declined and the question was left open. This is why the FAQ states "that have received valid answers". These questions do not count regarding the limit because they do not have "valid answers".

Regards,
Enrique

Yes, this seems to be the case with the asker I mentioned. I think he/she may well be abusing the site's goodwill considerably (I can't state this with certainty, as most if not all of the questions concerned are not in my language pair), but clearly isn't actually breaking any rules.

Polangmar
Polangmar
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Is it possible to set an additional restriction? Oct 3, 2008

For example:

"If you have ten (10) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a week, or if you have two (2) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a month (30 days), you will not be allowed to ask further questions. Please grade and close these questions to continue asking."

It can be 3 (or 4 or 5) instead of 2.

Regards
Polangmar

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion - Not being able to post another couple of questions as long as a user has not closed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »