Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
KudoZ QC: Design and convenience changes - suggestions, please.
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:04
SITE FOUNDER
May 21, 2003

Kicking off the KudoZ Quality Campaign with the first issue, I would like to ask for ideas on what can be done to:

(1) improve the design of the KudoZ pages and

(2) make KudoZ actions faster / more convenient

One suggestion is that an answerer should be able to respond to multiple peer reviews with a single submit. Any other requests along those lines?

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:04
English to German
+ ...
sorting option May 21, 2003

Maybe a sorting option?

(I appreciate it in Excel and Explorer.)

The KudoZ Answer Questions pages or tabs are presently sorted by time stamp. They could be sorted alternatively by the columns: language, topic, question or number/status.

I simply imagined radio buttons over the columns.

But there might be even more sophisticated possibilities.

Maybe two lines of radio buttons (or a corresponding functionality)

would be sufficient.

[Edited at 2003-05-22 23:16]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
sorting of...? May 21, 2003

What would be sorted? Lists of questions? Sorted by what?

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:04
Italian to English
New KudoZ questions May 21, 2003

I prefer to use the language pair home-page for KudoZ rather than my E-mail inbox. It would be very helpful if, on return to the home-page after reference to an individual question, the page had been updated to include questions posted in the interim, instead of having to refresh the page every time.

The option of a single response to multiple peer reviews would be very helpful .

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:04
English to German
+ ...
Customised access to KudoZ lists May 21, 2003

Hi Henry,

It would be helpful if users could define which questions page they want to see when selecting \"KudoZ / Answer Questions\". I tend to prefer \"Pro - Your Pairs\", but the default is set to \"Pro - All Pairs\". Not a problem if I\'m at the office, but quite a loss of time and bandwidth when I\'m on the road.

Ralf

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Don't know if this is the right place for this suggestion, but here goes..... May 21, 2003

When you search the KudoZ glossaries, you can enter part of a term of phrase to increase the number of hits you get (e.g. entering \"vermitt\" will give you hits for \"Arbeitsvermittlung\", \"Vermitteln\", Vermittlung\", etc.)

However, once you have clicked through to one of the terms in the list of possibilities, you can\'t get back to that list. You have to re-enter your query. Can we change this?

It would make glossary searching much easier!

Thanks!

Alison

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Open questions/glossary entries in a new window... May 21, 2003

...while keeping your query page in the original window.

Wouldn\'t this work for you, Alison? This can be done in most browsers by holding the Shift button while clicking on the link to be opened.

Or have I misunderstood the problem?

Endre

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Customizable default entries May 21, 2003

Customizable default entries in the dropdown lists of the search and asking forms could accelerate the procedure a lot, particularly in Opera, where the selection by pressing the first letter does not work in some cases.

Customization could most simply be done by remembering the last selected entry

[Edited at 2003-05-21 13:47]

What a powerful new internet search with customizable settings!

Such a Save Settings button would be nice on the Ask KudoZ Question page, too

[Edited at 2003-05-22 23:22]

Beth Kantus
Beth Kantus  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
quick access to other language pairs May 21, 2003

2003-05-21 10:05 Henry wrote:

Kicking off the KudoZ Quality Campaign with the first issue, I would like to ask for ideas on what can be done to:

(1) improve the design of the KudoZ pages and

(2) make KudoZ actions faster / more convenient

One suggestion is that an answerer should be able to respond to multiple peer reviews with a single submit. Any other requests along those lines?

I haven\'t found an easy way to switch from my default language pair to a different one.

If there is an easy way to do that and I just haven\'t found it yet, I apologize for addressing this here. Otherwise, that is one thing that would make using the site more convenient for me.

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Option to select Easy/Pro from anywhere May 21, 2003

2003-05-21 11:48 Lemster wrote:

It would be helpful if users could define which questions page they want to see when selecting "KudoZ / Answer Questions". I tend to prefer "Pro - Your Pairs", but the default is set to "Pro - All Pairs". Not a problem if I'm at the office, but quite a loss of time and bandwidth when I'm on the road.

Ditto. I wish I could select to go back to Easy or Pro when I am on the page of a particular question, not to have to go first to "Answer Questions".

Additionally, I don't know if this is technically feasible, but it would be nice to have an "All levels" option, i.e. to go to "all" KudoZ queries in my selected language combinations regardless of whether they are Easy or Pro.

[Edited at 2003-06-11 18:12]

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Thanks Endre! May 21, 2003

2003-05-21 12:29 dinnye wrote:

...while keeping your query page in the original window.

Wouldn\'t this work for you, Alison? This can be done in most browsers by holding the Shift button while clicking on the link to be opened.

Or have I misunderstood the problem?

Endre

Thanks Endre! That would work. But still, it would be nice to be able to return to the list.....

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
I agree with Alison May 21, 2003

I find it extremely frustrating to have to start all over again.

Not only would be a lot quicker, it may also encourage more people to use the glossary before asking a KudoZ question.

2003-05-21 12:04 alison1969 wrote:

When you search the KudoZ glossaries, you can enter part of a term of phrase to increase the number of hits you get (e.g. entering \"vermitt\" will give you hits for \"Arbeitsvermittlung\", \"Vermitteln\", Vermittlung\", etc.)

However, once you have clicked through to one of the terms in the list of possibilities, you can\'t get back to that list. You have to re-enter your query. Can we change this?

It would make glossary searching much easier!

Thanks!

Alison

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:04
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
More visible replies on peer comments May 21, 2003

2003-05-21 10:05 Henry wrote:

Multiple reply would be great. Just to note: right now answerer\\\'s replies on peer comments are barely visible. Is it posssible to make them more discernable -- another colour or something like that?

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
asker comments May 22, 2003

I find it frustrating that when I ask a question, request more information on questions, I can never know if the asker answered unless I go back to the question. So many times, I forget qhich question it is, and the poor asker may be waiting for an answer without me knowing it. It was brought up today by a fellow prozien who had asked a question, I had asked for more information, and since I never was notified about the added information, I couldn\'t answer the question. I see that there is a ... See more
I find it frustrating that when I ask a question, request more information on questions, I can never know if the asker answered unless I go back to the question. So many times, I forget qhich question it is, and the poor asker may be waiting for an answer without me knowing it. It was brought up today by a fellow prozien who had asked a question, I had asked for more information, and since I never was notified about the added information, I couldn\'t answer the question. I see that there is a tracking option for question, but it doesn\'t work. It never has, as far as i\'ve seen in the two and a half years that I\'ve been at ProZ.com. Thanks for considering this request.

I agree with all of the other suggestions.
Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:04
Spanish to English
how many times has the question been visited May 22, 2003

A few weeks ago I asked a question which only got one answer and no peer comments.

It would have been a great help to me if I could have known how many times that question had been seen, i.e. only 10, perhaps I posted it at the wrong time, no interest in my question or whatever, or 100, lots of people have seen it, but obviously nobody knows the answer, or whatever.

Similarly, given that I support questions staying open for 24 hours or more, would it be possible to
... See more
A few weeks ago I asked a question which only got one answer and no peer comments.

It would have been a great help to me if I could have known how many times that question had been seen, i.e. only 10, perhaps I posted it at the wrong time, no interest in my question or whatever, or 100, lots of people have seen it, but obviously nobody knows the answer, or whatever.

Similarly, given that I support questions staying open for 24 hours or more, would it be possible to introduce a feature that searches only for open questions, so that if we do have time to scan down a list, we\'d only be shown those that are still waiting for answers/feedback.

P.S. I no longer seem to be able to track forum postings (like this one). Where\'s the track button gone?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ QC: Design and convenience changes - suggestions, please.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »