美国
Local time: 21:45
正式会员 (自2006)
Norwegian挪威语译成English英语
+ ...
主题发起人
Portuguese, Spanish, Chinese and Russian Aug 8, 2008

lai an wrote:

The translation market may be changing too.

As demand for foreign products grows, foreign economies become more powerful, and more foreign students study overseas, I believe there may simply be more demand for translations of foreign-language texts.

From, say, Portuguese, Spanish, Chinese and Russian.

Yes, the other side of the equation. The demand for translations from these languages to English is large and growing. My understanding is that for the Spanish > English pair the number of translators, even native English speaking translators, exceeds the demand. In Chinese > English and Russian > English there is undoubtedly a shortage of native English speaking translators. As for Portuguese > English, is the situation more like Spanish > English, or more like Chinese > English and Russian > English?

Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:45
English英语译成Arabic阿拉伯语
+ ...
the real reason Aug 9, 2008

The realreason there are not enough english native language speakers around in translation is simply that we are notoriously bad at teaching and learning languages.

don't forget we once had an empire that covered a lot of the globe it is up to 'Jonny foreigner' to learn English and if we as Brits go overseas (to any country) and come across a native of that country that for some absurd reason doesn't speak English then it is quite simple. We speak slowly and raise our voices that wi
... See more
The realreason there are not enough english native language speakers around in translation is simply that we are notoriously bad at teaching and learning languages.

don't forget we once had an empire that covered a lot of the globe it is up to 'Jonny foreigner' to learn English and if we as Brits go overseas (to any country) and come across a native of that country that for some absurd reason doesn't speak English then it is quite simple. We speak slowly and raise our voices that will make them understand.

The amount of times i have been on holiday and heard comments like 'They don't do much English food' or 'They don't speak much English' is amazing and really brings it home to me that as a nation we sometimes let ourselves down.

Mind you seeing some of the youngsters today how do you expect them to learn a foreign language to any degree of competency when they can't even master our own!
Collapse

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
This was an example of bad English, right? Aug 9, 2008

the real reason

don't forget we once had an empire that covered a lot of the globe it is up to 'Jonny foreigner' to learn English and if we as Brits go overseas (to any country) and come across a native of that country that for some absurd reason doesn't speak English then it is quite simple. We speak slowly and raise our voices that will make them understand.

The amount of times i have been on holiday and heard comments like 'They don't do much English food' or 'They don't speak much English' is amazing and really brings it home to me that as a nation we sometimes let ourselves down.

Mind you seeing some of the youngsters today how do you expect them to learn a foreign language to any degree of competency when they can't even master our own!

I definitely agree with what you wrote (especially the first four paragraphs), but not how you wrote it: for example, since when does English use 'i' to refer to the first person? Or is this another travesty of the mobile phone generation? It's hard to do irony on a screen, i know.

Or did i miss something?

Gotta go, bar to prop up

Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
English英语译成Arabic阿拉伯语
+ ...
i am sure you can forgive me Aug 9, 2008

for my simple typo

To get back on track I did a quick look at the translators listed on Proz in my pair

Native Arabic speakers who translate E - A 2570
Native English speakers who translate E - A 311
Native Arabic speakers who translate A - E 1821
Native English speakers who translate A - E 378

what this also includes is those translators who list themselves as both native English and Arabic speakers. I wonder how many of these are actu
... See more
for my simple typo

To get back on track I did a quick look at the translators listed on Proz in my pair

Native Arabic speakers who translate E - A 2570
Native English speakers who translate E - A 311
Native Arabic speakers who translate A - E 1821
Native English speakers who translate A - E 378

what this also includes is those translators who list themselves as both native English and Arabic speakers. I wonder how many of these are actually Native speakers of both and what actually qualifies someone as a native speaker of a language?
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 21:45
正式会员 (自2006)
Norwegian挪威语译成English英语
+ ...
主题发起人
The short answer Aug 9, 2008

Emandan wrote:

... what actually qualifies someone as a native speaker of a language?

A native speaker of a language has learned the language as a child living among speakers of the language.

[Edited at 2008-08-09 22:13]

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
法国
Local time: 06:45
French法语译成English英语
+ ...
AHA! Aug 12, 2008

A translator from another thread discussing translator salary levels in the US posted a link to this site. After exploring around, I came across the following calculator:
Which language is in demand and for how much!
Very interesting!!!... See more
A translator from another thread discussing translator salary levels in the US posted a link to this site. After exploring around, I came across the following calculator:
Which language is in demand and for how much!
Very interesting!!!

http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=German&l1=&q2=Swedish&l2=&q3=Japanese&l3=&q4=French&l4=&q5=Spanish&l5=&q6=English&l6=&tm=1
Collapse

话题中的页数:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Not enough native English speakers?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »