Crowdsourcing for translations: looking for a community for translation help
Thread poster: Giovanni Leopoldo Rozza (X)
Giovanni Leopoldo Rozza (X)
Local time: 19:42
Portuguese to English
Apr 2, 2008

Dudes, someone knows a site, like a forum or something like to post question about translations and then the community try to help ? I mean, some expressions that you dind´t find by regular channels ( google or online dictionaries)
Don´t need
to be online, I just will throw the question and let people that wanna help reply.

Of course, reliability won´t be as good as a online dictionary, but you can judge based on context if it matches or not.

Also I do
... See more
Dudes, someone knows a site, like a forum or something like to post question about translations and then the community try to help ? I mean, some expressions that you dind´t find by regular channels ( google or online dictionaries)
Don´t need
to be online, I just will throw the question and let people that wanna help reply.

Of course, reliability won´t be as good as a online dictionary, but you can judge based on context if it matches or not.

Also I don´t pursue a site with translation to a target language (Portuguese in my case), but just a description in English what means with others words will be very helpful.

I wondered this site might be helpful, but after a closer look at it, its main purpose is about translation as a profession.

TIA anyway.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-02 10:35]
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:42
English to Turkish
+ ...
Check here: Apr 2, 2008

http://www.proz.com/kudoz

You know, it's like being stopped in the Amazons by a stranger who asks, "Hey, do you know a place somewhere around here where I can get some fresh air in the woods?"

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:42
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
You mean, like, where the guys call each other dudes? Apr 2, 2008

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:42
German to English
Or to be precise... Apr 2, 2008

(to add to özden's comment) You know, it's like being stopped in the Amazons by a stranger who asks, "Hey, do you know a place somewhere around here where I can get some fresh air in the woods?"

...that stranger being a character from a Douglas Coupland novel...

Sorry to butt in but this discussion could go places and I crave travel sickness.

DB

Local time: 19:42
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 2, 2008

Is exactly what I was looking for, I´m user in another Portugueses Forum and I volunteer myself to translate a long article about health care (http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/30_lies.html).

So I´m doing it little by little, and my English is not super (despite I´ve lived in the German city of Greifswald around 2 years and it worked quite well there...
See more
Is exactly what I was looking for, I´m user in another Portugueses Forum and I volunteer myself to translate a long article about health care (http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/30_lies.html).

So I´m doing it little by little, and my English is not super (despite I´ve lived in the German city of Greifswald around 2 years and it worked quite well there).

Thanks Özden! Thanks very much.

Note: Yeah Nicole, soon after I realized that "Dude" is not the appropriate expression, perhaps If I was a teen would be ok
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Crowdsourcing for translations: looking for a community for translation help

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »