Bilateral negotiations: interpreting simult. or consecutive?
Thread poster: Forest (X)
Forest (X)
Forest (X)
French to German
Dec 16, 2006

After having asked around here whether you do simultaneous or consecutive interpreting in general more often, I would like to ask you a slightly different question (to keep an overview, I decided to start this thread):

When you're interpreting for small groups during bilateral negotiations (two persons and more), do you usually do more simultaneous or consecutive? Important: What do your clients prefer?

If you do it simultaneously, do you use a portable interpretation
... See more
After having asked around here whether you do simultaneous or consecutive interpreting in general more often, I would like to ask you a slightly different question (to keep an overview, I decided to start this thread):

When you're interpreting for small groups during bilateral negotiations (two persons and more), do you usually do more simultaneous or consecutive? Important: What do your clients prefer?

If you do it simultaneously, do you use a portable interpretation system or realise it via whispered interpretation? I ask this question because I think that simultaneous interpreting isn't always the more expensive way.
Collapse

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:53
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
My experience Dec 16, 2006

When I used portable equipment and spoke/whispered the simultaneous interpretation into the portable equipment, the parties have the tendency to forget that they need to take turns when talking and not all to talk at once. If you sit with them on the table, they are more likely to pay attention to the situation.

I prefer simultaneous interpretation...I am always afraid I omit something during consecutive interpretation.

And I also convince my clients, even courts to let
... See more
When I used portable equipment and spoke/whispered the simultaneous interpretation into the portable equipment, the parties have the tendency to forget that they need to take turns when talking and not all to talk at once. If you sit with them on the table, they are more likely to pay attention to the situation.

I prefer simultaneous interpretation...I am always afraid I omit something during consecutive interpretation.

And I also convince my clients, even courts to let me do simultanous interpretation, it works much better for me.
Collapse

EmmanuelleAn (X)
EmmanuelleAn (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:53
English to French
+ ...
I agree with Kathi Dec 16, 2006

Kathi Stock wrote:

And I also convince my clients, even courts to let me do simultanous interpretation, it works much better for me.

Same for me. I feel much more comfortable with simultaneous interpretation.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Agree Dec 16, 2006

I agree with Kathi too, all the way.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:53
Flemish to English
+ ...
And yet.. Dec 17, 2006

if you want to work for an international institution, 8 minutes of consecutive is part of the test.

Aleph _Trans
Aleph _Trans
Argentina
Local time: 00:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
I do not [very seldom] use portable equipment Dec 17, 2006

while many interpreters do in the US.

If it is a round table with two - five or so principals, I could go with consecutive. And yes, they do take turns - I make them do so. It is true it may be painful but then...

I am used to simultaneous (booths) in settings from 12 to +3000 people. Once clients discover the wonder of seamless communication through professional SI with booths and the ancillary pro equipment, they fall in love...
See more
while many interpreters do in the US.

If it is a round table with two - five or so principals, I could go with consecutive. And yes, they do take turns - I make them do so. It is true it may be painful but then...

I am used to simultaneous (booths) in settings from 12 to +3000 people. Once clients discover the wonder of seamless communication through professional SI with booths and the ancillary pro equipment, they fall in love

There are exceptions, obviously.

JL
Collapse

BAmary (X)
BAmary (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
I like consecutive more Dec 18, 2006

I usually do consecutive and I ALWAYS take notes. Because I work full-time for a company, I do a lot of interpretation with people I already know and they know the drill too, so they pause to let me translate. Usually taking notes gives me the back up I need to remember what the speaker said.
I always take notes in English regardless into what language I'm interpreting, so I have some abbreviations I always use.

My experience with smultaneous has been in a booth with another i
... See more
I usually do consecutive and I ALWAYS take notes. Because I work full-time for a company, I do a lot of interpretation with people I already know and they know the drill too, so they pause to let me translate. Usually taking notes gives me the back up I need to remember what the speaker said.
I always take notes in English regardless into what language I'm interpreting, so I have some abbreviations I always use.

My experience with smultaneous has been in a booth with another interpreter. I like it but I find it more stressing!

By the way, I didn't know there's portable equipment! Does anyone have some more details about it?

Bye.
Collapse

Aleph _Trans
Aleph _Trans
Argentina
Local time: 00:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
The thing in Argentina Dec 19, 2006

is that many assistants/secretarias de gerencia-presidencia serve the role of an interpreter without being an interpreter; and think they are interpreters.

I mention this because I see you are from the CTPCBA and your train of thought might still be shaped by what you saw here in ARG, despite the fact you are in Canada (??)

BAmary wrote:
I usually do consecutive and I ALWAYS take notes. Because I work full-time for a company, I do a lot of interpretation with people I already know and they know the drill too, so they pause to let me translate.

Hi there!

In Argentina many traductoras end up either teaching or working as bilingual admin. assistants/exec. secretaries. Because of their position they are expected to "interpret", to serve a liaisons, between the expats/high execs. and the other local employees. However, this is seldom a guarantee that those individuals will be/are good interpreters if removed from their known and safe scenarios.

Some dare to go into the market and advert themselves as interpreters claiming to have interpreting experience when they do not («I was an in-house interpreter and translator for 5 years» rather than accepting that an in-house jobs as an exce assitant DOES NOT qualify you as an interpreter, or calling a colleague who IS an interpreter and may help them build on their little experience and serve as mentor).

I have seen some disaster in consec. events where the clients have had to call professional interpreters in the middle of an event ... "but she told me she was an interpreter...." [My response: s/he is a bilingual exce. assitant and not an interpreter...]. Even worst, some advert themselves as CI and go into the booth...

There are VERY FEW local individuals in those postions in-house that ARE interpreters or that have the talen and potiential to become good interpreters with proper training and sponsorship.

I spoke to a ProZ.com staff in a Powwow in Uruguay the other day and told her that it is amazing the amount of proZians in ARG that advert themselves as interpreters and ARE NOT interpreters and come out as such in a search ... Unfortunately, some shield themselves in the excuse that "my degree says BA in translation and interpreting..." True, but you do not know what a booth or a notetaking pad looks like... Those members shoud remove the word: 'interpreter' from their search meta words

Another issue is those non-pro will work for peanuts in most cases = extra cash on top of the boring in-house job...

Usually taking notes gives me the back up I need to remember what the speaker said.

Is there any other way to work in consec.? Notes are a must...

My experience with smultaneous has been in a booth with another interpreter. I like it but I find it more stressing!

By the way, I didn't know there's portable equipment! Does anyone have some more details about it?

Bye.

True consec. is MUCH more stressing in my opinion. Try interpreting a 6 minute non-stop speech, if not 8 min. the standard entrance exam in some places.

Check this out:

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=003877

http://www.williamssound.com/internationalproductdetail.aspx?product_id=233&contentpage_id=143

Best,

JL

[Edited at 2006-12-19 19:06]

Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
medical Dec 19, 2006

we are supposed to do it consecutive, but some people are so impatient or anxious that they can’t wait. If the voice is clear, loud enough and the pronunciation good; I can do simultaneous.
Many times I have to remind them to stop and wait. Especially when I am trying to hear what the other person is saying.
The worst is when one of the parents (it’s the Children’s Hospital) speaks English and the other doesn’t. I don’t interpret the dialogue when is a complex medical exp
... See more
we are supposed to do it consecutive, but some people are so impatient or anxious that they can’t wait. If the voice is clear, loud enough and the pronunciation good; I can do simultaneous.
Many times I have to remind them to stop and wait. Especially when I am trying to hear what the other person is saying.
The worst is when one of the parents (it’s the Children’s Hospital) speaks English and the other doesn’t. I don’t interpret the dialogue when is a complex medical explanation (numbers and details) and the risk of making mistakes is too much…
It has become an issue but only a few times.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bilateral negotiations: interpreting simult. or consecutive?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »