Thread poster: Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 7, 2006

I've been receiving emails from an Oklahoma-based person saying he needs help to report a crime in Brazil. He uses a Yahoo account but apparently his real name, which I googled and the results pointed to someone in Oklahoma. This person is asking me to call him (Oklahoma area code and phone number provided). I don't intend to call him because the whole thing just gives me the creeps and after all, the first email gave me the impression that the alleged crime was being committed as he wrote at 2 ... See more
I've been receiving emails from an Oklahoma-based person saying he needs help to report a crime in Brazil. He uses a Yahoo account but apparently his real name, which I googled and the results pointed to someone in Oklahoma. This person is asking me to call him (Oklahoma area code and phone number provided). I don't intend to call him because the whole thing just gives me the creeps and after all, the first email gave me the impression that the alleged crime was being committed as he wrote at 2 am in the morning. Why does he need me now? Why doesn't he call the police himself? The FBI, what have you? He alternatively asks me what would be a good time for him to call me.
Is this some sort of scam? Has anyone received a similar email?

[Editada em 2006-12-07 22:02]

[Editada em 2006-12-07 22:04]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:53
German to English
Don't go along with it Dec 7, 2006

It may or may not be a scam, but it does sound very strange. Under no circumstances give your telephone number to a stranger.

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
Local time: 16:53
English to Latvian
+ ...
Don't call Dec 7, 2006

And don't call that number as well. I've heard of people who were made to call premium rate numbers unknowingly.

[Edited at 2006-12-07 23:54]

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 21:53
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Just ignore it Dec 8, 2006

Hi Farre,

Don't bother yourself about any emails like that. Just delete it when it sounds strange.

[Edited at 2006-12-08 00:25]

Clara Duarte
Clara Duarte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
About weird e-mails Dec 18, 2006

One thing I have learnt from online communications is that if the e-mail screams "weird!", there's a 99.9% chance it's coming from an absolute 'weirdo'. The other 0.01% weird e-mails are written by people under the influence.

Yesterday I got a message through ProZ, saying:

i am crystian
my name [hidden]
my adrees [hidden]
please send cv to jop or to woman in portogal to mar
... See more
One thing I have learnt from online communications is that if the e-mail screams "weird!", there's a 99.9% chance it's coming from an absolute 'weirdo'. The other 0.01% weird e-mails are written by people under the influence.

Yesterday I got a message through ProZ, saying:

i am crystian
my name [hidden]
my adrees [hidden]
please send cv to jop or to woman in portogal to mareed

Now that's what I call making good use of a tool like ProZ.

Just be careful with men trying to get hold of your phone number, especially if you're a woman. There are plenty of Norman Bates, as well as a lot of desperate males out there.

Ask him for payment in advance if he sends you another e-mail, it might scare him off.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

new scam targeted at interpreters? not the bishop and his cronies

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »