Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:42
Flemish to English
+ ...
Superfluous Jul 16, 2006

Pardon my lack of knowledge of US-geography. Pero
Monterrey y Monterey suenan lo mismo.

So, according to the general opinion of most of the Proz.com-people ESIT, ETI, Westminster, Monterey and all the other CIUTI-interpreter schools (and translator schools for that matter) are really superfluous?? Just learn by doing???
Or learn from AIIC-interpreters as it is the case in those schools???

It is a fact that some schools are highly selective: out of 100 can
... See more
Pardon my lack of knowledge of US-geography. Pero
Monterrey y Monterey suenan lo mismo.

So, according to the general opinion of most of the Proz.com-people ESIT, ETI, Westminster, Monterey and all the other CIUTI-interpreter schools (and translator schools for that matter) are really superfluous?? Just learn by doing???
Or learn from AIIC-interpreters as it is the case in those schools???

It is a fact that some schools are highly selective: out of 100 candidates at an entry-test, 12 are admitted and how many get their degree: At a certain CIUTI-school some years ago out of 12 only 2 got the degree of M.A. in Conference Interpreting.

On the other hand: The interpreter of Mr.Gorbachev (the man with the mustache standing between Gorbachev and Reagan) was a self-educated man too.

Two different opinions and points of view.

I agree that in most cases you capture only 75% of what you hear and that 4 or more hours of interpreting is tiresome. In the end it is like you don't know anything anymore. Ever met a bullet-train speed speaker? Some languages tend to lend themselves to such speeds. Very "amusing" to interpret for such a person.
But then you have the customer who says: we pay you for what you are doing.
--
Isn't the first thing which you are taught at such schools in the consec.class to jolt down figures, titles (especially when interpreting for Germans) and names and try to memorize the content by noting key-words and summarize what is being said. The first year in your own language, the second in the two foreign languages of choice.

Of course, figures are important, for they are the name of the game for biz.executives. In this world, it is all about figures, not words.

A useful link:
http://www.ecok.edu/academics/schools/hss/el/pub/write_on/eng_writeon_jthompson1.asp

[Edited at 2006-07-16 17:58]
Collapse

Mohammed Abu-Risha
Mohammed Abu-Risha
Local time: 08:42
Arabic to English
+ ...
This does not happen in my country/Jordan Aug 22, 2006

Hello Sandra

Take it easy. It is very important to note that most mistakes committed by intrpreters are usually with numbers, names, places and the like.

When there used to be a mistake on our part, a participant may just stand up and humbly says "Perhaps I can say something to explain the point...or the number/name/place is bla bla bla"

In case there is a serious complain, nobody from the audience would stand up and attack the interpreters. Rather, they
... See more
Hello Sandra

Take it easy. It is very important to note that most mistakes committed by intrpreters are usually with numbers, names, places and the like.

When there used to be a mistake on our part, a participant may just stand up and humbly says "Perhaps I can say something to explain the point...or the number/name/place is bla bla bla"

In case there is a serious complain, nobody from the audience would stand up and attack the interpreters. Rather, they convey their comments to the oranisers privately.

I agree therefore with you that it is a misconduct on part of the audience to publically give bad comments on the translation.
Collapse

Boryana Desheva
Boryana Desheva
Local time: 08:42
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
To err is human Aug 27, 2006

Hi all

I have read all comments with great interest.

To be honest, with 10 plus years experience behind my back, I still find it difficult to make up my mind as to what/who went wrong/where and what about. My point is that being a professional interepreter I am all too aware that one makes mistakes (bearing at all times in mind that speakers do too!!!) - all sorts of factors and circumstances CAN and DO contribute to this - but again because I am a professional inter
... See more
Hi all

I have read all comments with great interest.

To be honest, with 10 plus years experience behind my back, I still find it difficult to make up my mind as to what/who went wrong/where and what about. My point is that being a professional interepreter I am all too aware that one makes mistakes (bearing at all times in mind that speakers do too!!!) - all sorts of factors and circumstances CAN and DO contribute to this - but again because I am a professional interpreter I will normally do my best to 'come clean' of a mistake made or at least play it down so that it doesn't appear to be a mistake resulting from the behaviour (linguistic or other) of the speaker himself/herself as much as I may privately feel amused about it, which is not to be confused with some tiresome 'body' assuming they know better than you do ... as they occasionally do and always will, I strongly suspect!

All in all situations like these are extremely difficult and never pleasant to handle but, hey, get used to them and keep smiling! You are there to do a job and do it WELL!

[Edited at 2006-08-27 20:12]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Audience 'misconduct' during interpretation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »