40-hour medical interpreting course into the first interpreter job. Is it possible, or a daydream?
Thread poster: Evgenii Gavrilov
Evgenii Gavrilov
Evgenii Gavrilov
Vietnam
Local time: 23:47
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 13, 2021

Hello everyone.

I am a Russian native ESL teacher currently residing in Vietnam. Due to Covid complications, I am considering changing my career to interpreting.

During my job market research, I realized two things:1) I need, at least, to finish a 40-hour interpreter course, and also, having some experience is quite crucial.
2) Most of the companies offer positions only for interpreters r
... See more
Hello everyone.

I am a Russian native ESL teacher currently residing in Vietnam. Due to Covid complications, I am considering changing my career to interpreting.

During my job market research, I realized two things:1) I need, at least, to finish a 40-hour interpreter course, and also, having some experience is quite crucial.
2) Most of the companies offer positions only for interpreters residing in US/UK.

How possible it is for me to find a job as a remote Russian-to-English medical interpreter after the completion of a 40-hour course? Are there any companies that might offer that position?

Your comments and advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 18:47
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
What you wrote is true, but there is a twist. Aug 13, 2021

Some agencies only hire US based interpreters due to their policies. Others don’t, and they will be happy with you working wherever you want remotely. However, for some reason, they expect extremely low rates for remote interpreting.

In other words, it’s possible to get a job but don’t expect to be paid well when working remotely. No minimums, no cancellation fees, nothing that’s normal in onsite interpreting.

Also, it sounds like you don’t have any experience
... See more
Some agencies only hire US based interpreters due to their policies. Others don’t, and they will be happy with you working wherever you want remotely. However, for some reason, they expect extremely low rates for remote interpreting.

In other words, it’s possible to get a job but don’t expect to be paid well when working remotely. No minimums, no cancellation fees, nothing that’s normal in onsite interpreting.

Also, it sounds like you don’t have any experience whatsoever. I can’t really tell, but generally I wouldn’t say 40 hours remotely would be enough in that case. I don’t know how the course is structured either, so can’t really tell.

[Edited at 2021-08-13 19:29 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
From what I've seen, it is 95% slave wage crap Aug 13, 2021

Insurances covering these services and semi-criminal schemes to defraud them have turned the market into a joke.

The standard service works much like the "medical transportation" companies that vacuum up tenders for $100 per hour and then just call the client an unqualified regular $5 Uber (that's an actual thing, very popular scam in America).

Same crap, same price difference. COVID lockdowns and Zoom have just made it worse.

PS also, the courses mi
... See more
Insurances covering these services and semi-criminal schemes to defraud them have turned the market into a joke.

The standard service works much like the "medical transportation" companies that vacuum up tenders for $100 per hour and then just call the client an unqualified regular $5 Uber (that's an actual thing, very popular scam in America).

Same crap, same price difference. COVID lockdowns and Zoom have just made it worse.

PS also, the courses might be part of the fraud and sold by the same people

Evgenii Gavrilov wrote:

Hello everyone.

2) Most of the companies offer positions only for interpreters residing in US/UK.

How possible it is for me to find a job as a remote Russian-to-English medical interpreter after the completion of a 40-hour course? Are there any companies that might offer that position?

Your comments and advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

[Edited at 2021-08-13 19:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-08-13 19:42 GMT]
Collapse

Natalia Potashnik
Natalia Potashnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:47
English to Russian
+ ...
A 40-hour course is a must for a start Sep 5, 2021

You will not get anywhere without a certificate of the course completion. When I decided to become an interpreter I did 2 online courses: Community Interpreting & Medical. After I passed the tests, also administered online, I added interpreting to my CV and began applying for jobs.

Of course, I had no experience. These courses are not language-specific. They are about the Code of Conduct, protocols, medical terminology (in English) and so on. They do not teach you to actually inter
... See more
You will not get anywhere without a certificate of the course completion. When I decided to become an interpreter I did 2 online courses: Community Interpreting & Medical. After I passed the tests, also administered online, I added interpreting to my CV and began applying for jobs.

Of course, I had no experience. These courses are not language-specific. They are about the Code of Conduct, protocols, medical terminology (in English) and so on. They do not teach you to actually interpret. If you want to learn that then you need a university course in person that is quite expensive.

The only way to get interpreting experience is to interpret. You can gain this experience by volunteering or by jumping in head first into doing the job. I got my first job as a remote interpreter almost right away which scared the hell out of me. It went well, I still work for this agency.

A couple of points to note:
- I am based in the US and know nothing about working from other countries.
- Remote interpreting does not pay much. It is a gig job to supplement my other income.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

40-hour medical interpreting course into the first interpreter job. Is it possible, or a daydream?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »