Beatrice Borio
Beatrice Borio  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:31
German to Italian
+ ...
Mar 11, 2014

Hello,
I study conference interpreting at the SSLMIT Trieste, Italy. My language combination is Italian A, English B and German C. Unfortunately it is not possible to do 2 active languages in Trieste. I'd like to ask whether any of you has heard of any additional qualification a conference interpreter (or conference interpreting student) can get to add an active language, either in Italy or elsewhere. I feel like my English and my German are more or less at the same level (although not pra
... See more
Hello,
I study conference interpreting at the SSLMIT Trieste, Italy. My language combination is Italian A, English B and German C. Unfortunately it is not possible to do 2 active languages in Trieste. I'd like to ask whether any of you has heard of any additional qualification a conference interpreter (or conference interpreting student) can get to add an active language, either in Italy or elsewhere. I feel like my English and my German are more or less at the same level (although not practising German as a B language has had a negative effect on my fluency - but I guess I can remedy that).
Thank you all very much
Bea
Collapse

Joanna Spychala
Joanna Spychala
Poland
Local time: 15:31
English to Polish
+ ...
Two B languages are not common Mar 29, 2014

1. Very few conference interpreters have indeed two B languages. If your English and German are more or less at the same level, it may mean they're both a B language material but it may also mean neither of them is up to the B level requirements at the moment... It is therefore more reasonable to focus on one of them first (English in your case). It is not a coincidence that you can't usually study CI with two B languages at the same time.

2. You don't really need some special addi
... See more
1. Very few conference interpreters have indeed two B languages. If your English and German are more or less at the same level, it may mean they're both a B language material but it may also mean neither of them is up to the B level requirements at the moment... It is therefore more reasonable to focus on one of them first (English in your case). It is not a coincidence that you can't usually study CI with two B languages at the same time.

2. You don't really need some special additional 'official' qualification to add a language for conference interpreting (a retour or a new C, for that matter). What you will need however is a lot of practice on your own and some regular feedback from interpreters with a relevant language combination. You might also be interested in the courses offered in Germersheim (University of Mainz); there is a special intensive course for interpreters working on their German retour, if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck with your studies! And have a look at interpreting.info - probably the best place on the Internet to ask questions about conference interpreting.

[Edited at 2014-03-30 09:13 GMT]
Collapse

Beatrice Borio
Beatrice Borio  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:31
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
retour in Italy Mar 30, 2014

Thank you for the information! Of course I need to focus on my actual B language during my masters. I should add that the Italian situation is a bit peculiar - from what I've heard, an conference interpreter is expected to do the retour on any language he or she is working with on the Italian private market. Nobody really asks you what your active language is apparently - if you work with English and German, you'll do the retour for both.
I am curious to know whether Italy is an isolated
... See more
Thank you for the information! Of course I need to focus on my actual B language during my masters. I should add that the Italian situation is a bit peculiar - from what I've heard, an conference interpreter is expected to do the retour on any language he or she is working with on the Italian private market. Nobody really asks you what your active language is apparently - if you work with English and German, you'll do the retour for both.
I am curious to know whether Italy is an isolated case - where do you work? Do clients know about the distinction between a B and a C language?
Thank you for your encouragement
Bea
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

adding an active language

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »