got my DPSI..how to start working?
Thread poster: Mira66
Mira66
Mira66
Local time: 18:01
Persian (Farsi) to English
Dec 11, 2013

I recently passed the iOL exam and was awarded full DPSI Law Option (Persian language)
I'd like to start working as an interpreter,preferably I'd like to start with phone interpreting.
can any one suggest me what should I do and which agencies I should contact?
any advice is much appreciated!

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Tricky Dec 11, 2013

This is a tricky question, as I understand we are not allowed to mention agencies names here
If you have recently passed your DPSI exam, then you must have heard names of the main players on the market.
Risking the edit by moderators the main 3 agencies are:
Capita - court interpreting
Language Line - hospitals and police in some areas, also telephone
thebigword - big telephone interpreting player
... See more
This is a tricky question, as I understand we are not allowed to mention agencies names here
If you have recently passed your DPSI exam, then you must have heard names of the main players on the market.
Risking the edit by moderators the main 3 agencies are:
Capita - court interpreting
Language Line - hospitals and police in some areas, also telephone
thebigword - big telephone interpreting player, also local f2f assignments at schools and hospitals, social services
Collapse

Mira66
Mira66
TOPIC STARTER
Rates Dec 11, 2013

Thanks for your response and information.

what are the rates these agencies currently pay? (for telephone interpreting in particular)
how many hours per week should I expect them to offer me for telephone interpreting?
I did the Law option so I don't think I can take health related assignments.
also do you think registering with the NRPSI is necessary / worth the roughly £200 annual fee?

I don't have any prior professional experience in interpreting.
... See more
Thanks for your response and information.

what are the rates these agencies currently pay? (for telephone interpreting in particular)
how many hours per week should I expect them to offer me for telephone interpreting?
I did the Law option so I don't think I can take health related assignments.
also do you think registering with the NRPSI is necessary / worth the roughly £200 annual fee?

I don't have any prior professional experience in interpreting.NRPSI also issues an Interpreter's ID card which I think could be necessary/beneficial for a new interpreter,but it's only valid for 1 year and £200 sounds abit too steep for one year.
Collapse

SYTham
SYTham  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 01:01
Chinese to English
+ ...
Health and law options Dec 12, 2013

I passed the DPSI (Law) exam and used to interpret in the UK 2 years ago. I'm not sure about other language pairs, but in my language pair, it was possible to receive health related assignments. The word then was that passing the Law option would allow you to receive both legal and health assignments, but passing the Health option would limit you to health assignments.

Assuming that you've had no prior interpreting experience, you won't be able to register with the NRPSI yet. You ca
... See more
I passed the DPSI (Law) exam and used to interpret in the UK 2 years ago. I'm not sure about other language pairs, but in my language pair, it was possible to receive health related assignments. The word then was that passing the Law option would allow you to receive both legal and health assignments, but passing the Health option would limit you to health assignments.

Assuming that you've had no prior interpreting experience, you won't be able to register with the NRPSI yet. You can read up on the criteria on their website.

[Edited at 2013-12-12 07:08 GMT]
Collapse

Mira66
Mira66
TOPIC STARTER
NRPSI Dec 12, 2013

Siang Yu Tham wrote:

Assuming that you've had no prior interpreting experience, you won't be able to register with the NRPSI yet. You can read up on the criteria on their website.

[Edited at 2013-12-12 07:08 GMT]

the criteria says one can still register if they have DPSI and no experience.but the status will be interim not full.
their name will still be registered and searchable online and will also receive the NRPSI ID card.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

got my DPSI..how to start working?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »