andre_
andre_
United States
Local time: 12:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 23, 2012

Hi:

I have been asked to quote on an interpretation assignment for 3 days and it will be a business conference meeting. They say that they will take care of travel and accommodations. The assignment will be 7 hours per day. My question is how do I calculate a price package and what terms and conditions should I include? If you do this regularly or have done it in the past, I would love to hear from you. Thanking you in advance.

Inter-Tra
Inter-Tra  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:32
English to Italian
+ ...
You need a colleague Feb 23, 2012

Do not even think of being alone!

My suggestion is to send a quotation for two interpreters.
Secondly try to find out what kind of interpretation technique is required.

3 days.. 7 hours, it is not makable all alone!

Kind Regards
Francesca

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Correct Feb 23, 2012

fbbest wrote:

Kind Regards
Francesca

Right, Francesca, a team of two is necessary for any interpreting assignment in excess of, say, 1.5 hours (you won't be able to go it alone any longer). In addition, please ask for the estimated number of participants and roughly how many of them will require interpreting services, and the general setting (venue/room etc.) of the meeting. Also, ask the outsourcer/client if they are prepared to provide interpreting equipment (preferably a booth and associated system in the case of a larger-scale meeting), and which interpreting mode they envisage (simultaneous in a booth vs. "whispering"/chuchotage vs. consecutive). If no equipment is provided, you may contact a conference interpreting equipment provider on your own and include this item in your quotation. Also, make sure to quote a rate for any hours exceeding the scheduled "standard" of seven hours per day (i.e. overtime) as meetings often tend to last longer than planned.

Best regards,

Steffen

andre_
andre_
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. I will ask for additional details. Apprciate all your help. Feb 23, 2012

Steffen Walter wrote:

fbbest wrote:

Kind Regards
Francesca

Right, Francesca, a team of two is necessary for any interpreting assignment in excess of, say, 1.5 hours (you won't be able to go it alone any longer). In addition, please ask for the estimated number of participants and roughly how many of them will require interpreting services, and the general setting (venue/room etc.) of the meeting. Also, ask the outsourcer/client if they are prepared to provide interpreting equipment (preferably a booth and associated system in the case of a larger-scale meeting), and which interpreting mode they envisage (simultaneous in a booth vs. "whispering"/chuchotage vs. consecutive). If no equipment is provided, you may contact a conference interpreting equipment provider on your own and include this item in your quotation. Also, make sure to quote a rate for any hours exceeding the scheduled "standard" of seven hours per day (i.e. overtime) as meetings often tend to last longer than planned.

Best regards,

Steffen

andre_
andre_
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More details Feb 29, 2012

The expected number of people I will be interpreting is between 15-20 delegates and the meeting settings will be on board room. They shall provide the necessary required equipment at the meeting room. The interpretation will be consecutive. How much should I charge for this assignment?

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
You'll repent it... Feb 29, 2012

andre_ wrote:

The expected number of people I will be interpreting is between 15-20 delegates and the meeting settings will be on board room. They shall provide the necessary required equipment at the meeting room. The interpretation will be consecutive. How much should I charge for this assignment?

...if you try to do this by yourself.

Steffen Walter
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Exactly, Giuseppina Feb 29, 2012

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons) wrote:

andre_ wrote:

...if you try to do this by yourself.

It's absolutely crucial to submit a quotation for a team of two colleagues, and to quote three full-day rates if the event is to take three days, as you wrote initially (plus expenses such as travel and accommodation, which should be borne by the client).

andre_
andre_
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Feb 29, 2012

I need all of your help on this please. Just let me know what I need to quote and how much should I quote and what terms and conditions I should state. Counting on your help.

andre_
andre_
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Suggestions Feb 29, 2012

Suggestions, so how much should I charge per hour or how should I price this? Counting on your help.

Steffen Walter
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
American Translators Association Mar 1, 2012

This is what the ATA has to say on interpreting - the document contains arguments and points to be considered by clients ordering such services: http://www.atanet.org/docs/Getting_it_right_int.pdf

I am not familiar with the US interpreting market so all I can say at this point is that you shouldn't even think of charging by the hour if a full-day event is scheduled. Quote
... See more
This is what the ATA has to say on interpreting - the document contains arguments and points to be considered by clients ordering such services: http://www.atanet.org/docs/Getting_it_right_int.pdf

I am not familiar with the US interpreting market so all I can say at this point is that you shouldn't even think of charging by the hour if a full-day event is scheduled. Quote a daily rate instead.
Collapse

andre_
andre_
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Mar 1, 2012

Thank you for your help Steffen and all that helped on this topic. How do I give you points for your time and assistance or what can I do make sure you get rewarded on here?

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
This is a forum Mar 1, 2012

No need for giving points. Everyone's glad to help where they can.

sonjaswenson (X)
sonjaswenson (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
rates Mar 1, 2012

if it's not too late, the going rate in much of the US is about 550 per day for English to Spanish simultaneous interpreting. If they want an hourly rate, calculate how much per hour would get you that for a full day.

I know that it is higher though in California and Florida, so take that into account. See if you can contact some interpreters locally to find out more.

Also, do not do anything without a partner!

If they do not tell me straight away who
... See more
if it's not too late, the going rate in much of the US is about 550 per day for English to Spanish simultaneous interpreting. If they want an hourly rate, calculate how much per hour would get you that for a full day.

I know that it is higher though in California and Florida, so take that into account. See if you can contact some interpreters locally to find out more.

Also, do not do anything without a partner!

If they do not tell me straight away who I am working with, I always ask, that way you will avoid any last minute surprises.
Collapse

andre_
andre_
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 2, 2012

I appreciate everyones help! God bless!

andre_
andre_
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
VAT number Mar 2, 2012

Guys:

I got the job. The only weird thing is he is saying that he will send me the money upfront. Also, he gave me a VAT number, how do I know if the VAT number is correct and it belongs to his company? What information do I need in order to look it up? Thanking you in advance.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting for a business conference meeting

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »