Thread poster: jenbikkal (X)
jenbikkal (X)
jenbikkal (X)

Local time: 02:03
French to English
+ ...
Oct 19, 2011

Hello ProZ community!

The reason I'm reaching out is because it seems as though I booked my first gig doing consecutive interpreting in front of a live audience, and so I had some questions. (I have done simultaneous before.)

-When you meet with the speaker beforehand, do you generally suggest that they stop after each thought? How do you work it out with them?

-Do you know of any videos showing interpreters doing this? I'd love to find some videos to pract
... See more
Hello ProZ community!

The reason I'm reaching out is because it seems as though I booked my first gig doing consecutive interpreting in front of a live audience, and so I had some questions. (I have done simultaneous before.)

-When you meet with the speaker beforehand, do you generally suggest that they stop after each thought? How do you work it out with them?

-Do you know of any videos showing interpreters doing this? I'd love to find some videos to practice and also to observe the interpreters on stage.

-Do you do "simultaneous consecutive" and use a DVR, or do you take notes?

-I am somewhat nervous to have to do this live in front of an audience. Doing simul. I could hide in my booth! Were you ever nervous? If so, how did you get over it?

I cannot think of any other specific questions now, but any other advice or suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks so much!

-Jen
Collapse

Martine Van Eerdt
Martine Van Eerdt  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:03
French to Dutch
+ ...
Direct interaction Oct 19, 2011

Hello Jen,

The advantage of a live audience is that they somehow interact with the interpreter. In my experience of consecutive interpreting (with audiences from 5 up to 150 persons) the rythm of the interpreter settles naturally within a few minutes.

Beforehand I only ask clients to stop talking when I start talking and I ask them if they want me to translate almost simultanously or if only the broad basic thought has to come through.
You need to adapt all the t
... See more
Hello Jen,

The advantage of a live audience is that they somehow interact with the interpreter. In my experience of consecutive interpreting (with audiences from 5 up to 150 persons) the rythm of the interpreter settles naturally within a few minutes.

Beforehand I only ask clients to stop talking when I start talking and I ask them if they want me to translate almost simultanously or if only the broad basic thought has to come through.
You need to adapt all the time; not all people are naturally gifted speakers. They'll repeat themselves, use hollow phrases, make weird jokes to cover their uneasiness etc. Than there's the dialogue situation; people will interrupt, ask questions, answers will fuse and the translator can be forgotten in the heat of the moment, you'll have to impose yourself.
You will know when you can interrupt; when your brain cannot keep more, when an item comes to an end, through the inflexion of the speakers voice, etc etc. No situation is the same, that's what so exciting about the job!

I do not take notes but always ask clients to give me the agenda at least a few days before the meeting, this gives me the opportunity to get familiarized with the vocabulary I can expect. I highlight expressions and words and take this document with me. Most of the time I don't use it but it gives me the feeling to have something to lean on. Depending on the situation this is not always possible though, I then try to figure out in what translational field I'll be and try to find glossaries.

About nervousness, try not to drink too much water before the gig:) When I sit down I always scan the crowd for a few friendly faces to reassure me that these are PEOPLE, just like me. They will not lynch me if I stammer, if just happens once or twice, and if I give a nice apologizing smile and continue. It's just difficult before you start, but once you've started you don't have time to think about your audience.

Beware about clothing as well; to me it's very annoying to either freeze or get too hot, it distracts, like in a booth I suppose, just that you know the audience can see your red face and G. forbid, sweaty armpits, which adds distraction and embarrassment.
Oh, and bring yourself a bottle of water, they're not always provided.

I hope this will help you to get prepared,

Martine
Collapse

jenbikkal (X)
jenbikkal (X)

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 22, 2011

Thank you so much for all of these tips Martine!

Jan Rausch
Jan Rausch  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Videos Oct 31, 2011

Do a search for press conference, for instance Deauville American cinema festival. I've watched them before and they show the whole interpreting process.

Such as:
http://www.festival-deauville.com/DEV/index.php?pid=18&m=2&e=37&d=0&c=0&p=

jenbikkal (X)
jenbikkal (X)

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan! Oct 31, 2011

What a great tip!
I know what I'll be watching in the next few days!
=)

jenbikkal (X)
jenbikkal (X)

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Speech Oct 31, 2011

I will be working on a speech. any ideas where I might find live speeches being interpreted?

A

Jan Rausch
Germany
German to English
+ ...
A few links Oct 31, 2011

http://www.multilingualspeeches.tv/scic/portal/index.html

See more
http://www.multilingualspeeches.tv/scic/portal/index.html

http://interpreters.free.fr/links/practicematerial.htm

http://live.eti.unige.ch/repertoire1.html

The top one is the best but you need to get log-on details.
Collapse

jenbikkal (X)
jenbikkal (X)

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
These are excellent! Oct 31, 2011

Thank you so much for sharing these excellent resources!!
=)

How does one get a log on for the first website?

Jan Rausch
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I think ... Oct 31, 2011

For the speech repository I got log on details through my university. I have just checked actually, mine seems to have expired, so I can't log on anymore. But if you're a student your course provider should be able to get log on details for you.

Just remembered there's also this, no password needed:
http://ec.europa.eu/avservices/index.cfm?sitelang=fr

jenbikkal (X)
jenbikkal (X)

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much Jan!! Oct 31, 2011

These are all great resources!!!
I owe you one.

Jan Rausch
Germany
German to English
+ ...
No worries Oct 31, 2011

jenbikkal wrote:

These are all great resources!!!
I owe you one.

Mine's a pint!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting in front of a live audience

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »