Infix > extract image > Omni Page: problem!
Thread poster: Gracia Navas (X)
Gracia Navas (X)
Gracia Navas (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 12, 2011

Hello all,

I am practising with InFix Pro 4.31 to find out what I can do/can't do with it. I really, really like it, it is a great tool to work with pdf files. However, today I have extracted an image that has some text embedded on it and I have tried to OCR it with Omni Page, but no way: Omni Page recognises a small block of text on a corner but the main area with text (the name of the product and its slogan!) is left unrecognised. I am no expert on Omni Page but up to now I had ha
... See more
Hello all,

I am practising with InFix Pro 4.31 to find out what I can do/can't do with it. I really, really like it, it is a great tool to work with pdf files. However, today I have extracted an image that has some text embedded on it and I have tried to OCR it with Omni Page, but no way: Omni Page recognises a small block of text on a corner but the main area with text (the name of the product and its slogan!) is left unrecognised. I am no expert on Omni Page but up to now I had had no problems, it usually is quite easy to operate.

Any help with this would be most appreciated.

Gracia
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:37
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Neither InFix nor OmniPage Nov 12, 2011

Gracia,

Most likely the problem is in the image itself. I'm not sure if they have fixed the InFix export image feature to do it at the original resolution, and not at screen resolution. Furthermore, it may lack contrast for OmniPage to do its job there.

If you use these two programs, it's likely that you have a full bag of tricks. What else do you have? Photoshop? Adobe Illustrator? Any other graphic editor that will open a PDF?

Well, use whatever program y
... See more
Gracia,

Most likely the problem is in the image itself. I'm not sure if they have fixed the InFix export image feature to do it at the original resolution, and not at screen resolution. Furthermore, it may lack contrast for OmniPage to do its job there.

If you use these two programs, it's likely that you have a full bag of tricks. What else do you have? Photoshop? Adobe Illustrator? Any other graphic editor that will open a PDF?

Well, use whatever program you have to increase resolution, increase contrast, maybe by deleting some colored background, and sharpen the image. This should make the file - possibly a JPEG now - "workable" for OmniPage.

FYI OmniPage works well with resolutions above 200 dpi, 300 is advisable.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:37
English to Hungarian
Perhaps it is regarded... Nov 13, 2011

...by Infix as an object. If so, you can delete it and replace it with the translation in Infix. However, I would ask the client first if they want the product name and slogen to be translated at all.

Gracia Navas (X)
Gracia Navas (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Infix/OmniPage Nov 13, 2011

To José:
many thanks for your prompt reply. I think you're right and it is a problem with the image; it has big letters, the contrast is fine, so OmniPage should have recognised it. But after reading your answer I extracted other images from the same file with InFix and they worked fine in Omni Page. I'm not sure either about InFix exporting images at the original/screen resolution, I have to practise on this feature yet. I find InFix really easy as text is concerned, but as for images..
... See more
To José:
many thanks for your prompt reply. I think you're right and it is a problem with the image; it has big letters, the contrast is fine, so OmniPage should have recognised it. But after reading your answer I extracted other images from the same file with InFix and they worked fine in Omni Page. I'm not sure either about InFix exporting images at the original/screen resolution, I have to practise on this feature yet. I find InFix really easy as text is concerned, but as for images... I'm not very sure.

I haven't got any other graphic software that could allow me to work on images. I thought the combination InFix/OmniPage was good, and should be more than enough for the type of pdf files that I normally receive and that are quite simple -no complicated graphics, mostly text, no tables...

May I take this opportunity to thank you for all your posts on DTP, which are invariably excellent. I have learnt a lot from them!

To István:
thanks very much for your reply. Fortunately, this is not a real job, I am just practising with InFix because I want to offer this service to my clients in a near future and, of course, I want to be as well prepared as possible for any kind of situation that may arise. In this particular case I've worked with a pdf whose translation I delivered in Word months ago; the name of the product didn't change but the slogan had to be translated. I just wanted to see if, were this a real job, I could have sent the pdf with the slogan translated in the image.

I'll keep on trying this and that! Thanks!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Infix > extract image > Omni Page: problem!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »