Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italia
Local time: 19:29
Miembro 2007
inglés al italiano
Never said it does Mar 25, 2009

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Using InFix to edit distilled PDFs, or converting distilled PDFs into Word does not involve DTP.

In fact, the title of the thread is "tips for PDF translation", and IMHO using such a tool can make translation of single pages (or short documents) much more quicker.

Best
Gianni

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brasil
Local time: 14:29
inglés al portugués
+ ...
In Memoriam
New features in PageMaker Mar 25, 2009

agaetis wrote:
Are You suggesting that PM 7 have no important and usefull functions? "
Adobe surprised everybody in 2001 when it released PageMaker 7, which included PDF creation capabilities, data merge functionality, integration features for users of other Adobe software products and other enhancements."

Every software will have vital features for some users that are completely useless for others. For instance, Excel has some powerful statistical functions that will be completely useless for those who want it only to list, say, all strings in another application, and have them orderly translated into several languages.

PDF creation capabilities is meaningless to me. Any software that can print to a PostScript printer is capable of creating a PDF. Data merge and integration with other apps may be important for people who create publications from scratch, but not to translators who only have to take a PDF file in language A and develop the same PDF in language B. Those features only burden the hardware, with no actual benefit to the translator.

I tend to think in terms of paradigms. MS Word is a typewriter enhanced with all features science fiction could add to it. PageMaker, hence InDesign too, is a paste-up studio in virtual reality. FrameMaker and Quark have their own unique paradigms.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brasil
inglés al portugués
+ ...
In Memoriam
InFix Mar 25, 2009

Gianni Pastore wrote:
In fact, the title of the thread is "tips for PDF translation", and IMHO using such a tool can make translation of single pages (or short documents) much more quicker.

I'm not at liberty to disclose any additional details, but a while ago I tipped the Iceni (InFix developers) people about the potential of the PDF translation market, and they have really been working on that.

Stay tuned for an eventual surprise from them. After they succeed, DTP will be needed only for translating scanned PDFs.

Rafał Kwiatkowski
Rafał Kwiatkowski  Identity Verified
Polonia
alemán al polaco
+ ...
That is correct. Mar 25, 2009

You're right, the PDF creation feature was implemented into new FrameMakers (my favourite software) but i still have to use "print to file" using distiller and project specific settings + joboption instead of "Save as PDF" option. Printing to the PostScript driver gives you more control and configurability. From the other hand nothing is better than creating PSD's via LaTex.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Países Bajos
Miembro 2006
inglés al afrikaans
+ ...
Extract the text and deliver it in a table Mar 25, 2009

Mauricio Coitiño wrote:
Under this topic I'd like to include all those "tricks" we've learned while dealing with one of the most popular formats in DTP projects - PDF...

The PDF is created from a different format. So if the client doesn't send you that original format, then the client or his DTP guy will have to copy/paste the text into that format anyway.

So instead of trying to edit the PDF and recreate the layout, simply get a typist to type the thing (or extract the text manually if possible), and then put the source text and translation in a Word file with two-column table. This makes it easiest for the DTP guy to copy the right translation into the right spot in his original format program.

Radu Nicolaescu
Radu Nicolaescu  Identity Verified
Rumania
Local time: 20:29
Miembro 2006
alemán al rumano
+ ...
Procedure suggestion Apr 13, 2009

I intended a short reply for this item and finally it resulted an article "DTP Procedure for Technical Translations". See it.
Summary: I decided to use InDesign because SDL Trados 8 has an excellent filter for inx files.
The key is to organize all the design work (manipulation on layers, styles, etc) upstream, in the phase of DTP building, before the translation.
Whatever, the flow is never linear, the process is iterative; there will be always rectifications on the final layou
... See more
I intended a short reply for this item and finally it resulted an article "DTP Procedure for Technical Translations". See it.
Summary: I decided to use InDesign because SDL Trados 8 has an excellent filter for inx files.
The key is to organize all the design work (manipulation on layers, styles, etc) upstream, in the phase of DTP building, before the translation.
Whatever, the flow is never linear, the process is iterative; there will be always rectifications on the final layout for alignement, text framing, etc.
Translations in latin languages from German or English are usually 30 - 50% longer.
There is always a skilled work to do in order to keep the look.
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 13:29
ruso al inglés
+ ...
PDF Converter from Nuance - not for Cyrillic Apr 13, 2009

trebla wrote:

I used to hate getting PDFs, and I agree there should be a surcharge for them, but I bought an inexpensive software from Nuance (PDF Converter Assistant), and it works well most of the time.

Note that it does NOT work for Cyrillic, and possibly other non-Latin characters.

Rafał Kwiatkowski
Rafał Kwiatkowski  Identity Verified
Polonia
alemán al polaco
+ ...
Try this... Apr 14, 2009

Try Solid PDF Converter or some ABBYY product.

Ahmed Maher
Ahmed Maher  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:29
inglés al árabe
+ ...
Infix Aug 4, 2009

Hi,

Kindly try using Infix it is really a great tool and will help you.

Regards,
Ahmed Maher

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
México
Local time: 11:29
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
+ ...
From images Aug 21, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:

trebla wrote:

I used to hate getting PDFs, and I agree there should be a surcharge for them, but I bought an inexpensive software from Nuance (PDF Converter Assistant), and it works well most of the time.

Note that it does NOT work for Cyrillic, and possibly other non-Latin characters.

I usually work with patents, downloaded from Intelelctual Property sites. There are several patents saved as PDF's whose format i have to preserve, but this PDF's were saved as images although they are text.

Is there any Abbyy product which can convert this image-based PDF's into editable text?

Thank you in advance.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Alemania
Miembro 2006
neerlandés al alemán
+ ...
Finereader Aug 21, 2009

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Is there any Abbyy product which can convert this image-based PDF's into editable text?

Thank you in advance.

Sure, that would be Finereader.

Yaotl Altan
México
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
+ ...
Thanx! Aug 22, 2009

Thank you, efreitag, but which is better? Abbyy Fine Reader 9 or Abbyy PDF Transfomer? The first costs 400 USD and the second 60 USD. Am I missing something?

[Edited at 2009-08-22 21:50 GMT]

Christina Paiva
Christina Paiva  Identity Verified
Brasil
portugués al inglés
+ ...
Free Simple PDF converter in Word Aug 23, 2009

Hi Yaolt!

This is what I do:

1. Microsoft XP 2003 (not sure about this function in newer versions)
2. Go to Printers: activate MS Office Document Image Writer
3. Go to MS Office tools: open Document Imaging
4. Import the PDF file
5. Convert image to text (OCR > there’s a tab with language options)
6. Export text to word

Tips:
1. Save the image as MDI – Compact Format, so if you have graphics or images you’ll b
... See more
Hi Yaolt!

This is what I do:

1. Microsoft XP 2003 (not sure about this function in newer versions)
2. Go to Printers: activate MS Office Document Image Writer
3. Go to MS Office tools: open Document Imaging
4. Import the PDF file
5. Convert image to text (OCR > there’s a tab with language options)
6. Export text to word

Tips:
1. Save the image as MDI – Compact Format, so if you have graphics or images you’ll be able to copy and then paste them on your document
2 . After saving the text as doc I clean its format
3. Depending on the print quality of your document you’ll get almost perfect texts in word. I usually print the original (when they were scanned by my client) given that greek alphabet, volume abreviations such as microliter, and some typos such as m turns out as rn and 1 (one) becomes l (ie L) are very common
4. If you’re lucky you might get full tables too.

I have tried the PDF text converter free version but I find this procedure simpler and the results are better.

Let me know if you have any trouble.
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
alemán al español
+ ...
Get a PDF translated in 5 steps Aug 23, 2009

1) PDF -> RTF (¡¡Real page format!!) with SolidConverterPDF
This converts a PDF to RTF and allows to preserve 80% - 90% of the format, because all the text will be exported into MS-Word textboxes.

2) MS-Word textboxes -> RTF (text)PDF -> RTF (¡¡Real page format!!) with SolidConverterPDF
This converts a PDF to RTF and allows to preserve 80% - 90% of the format, because all the text will be exported into MS-Word textboxes.

2) MS-Word textboxes -> RTF (text) with Werecat macro www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html
This macro extracts the text from the MS-Word textboxes and converts it to tagged text.

3) Translate it with your CAT tool as usual.

4) Use Werecat macro to put your translated text back to the textboxes.

5) Save your RTF files as PDF with any PDF printer driver as PrimoPDF or alike

Best regards.
Pablo B.

PS: Any feedback about the process and possible improvements will be welcome (pablo.bouvier (at) gmail.com)!

[Editado a las 2009-08-23 06:57 GMT]
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
México
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
+ ...
Muito obrigado! Aug 23, 2009

Christina:

I love you Thank you very much for your kind advises on PDF conversion.

Pablo:
I've downloaded a Solid Converter PDF trial version and it works really fine!

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips for PDF translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »