Local time: 11:02
Member (2003)
Polish to English
+ ...
and my first steps Nov 19, 2004

Seadeta Osmani wrote:
My first steps into Hindi
Seadeta

It's come at a perfect time for me. I'm off on Tuesday for a week's holiday visiting Delhi, Agra, Jaipur and Fatepur Sikri

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:02
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
One language for all Nov 20, 2004

Acceptance and use of "one language" would depend on the purpose that it would be used for, and a variety of social factors.

Here are some examples of standardized languages:

Programming language: I give courses on the advantages and disadvantages of C++ and Java. One of the reasons that the Programming community embraced Java (the former Oak project) was because it used a popular C-type syntax rather than some exotic new syntax with a high-learning (and low initial pro
... See more
Acceptance and use of "one language" would depend on the purpose that it would be used for, and a variety of social factors.

Here are some examples of standardized languages:

Programming language: I give courses on the advantages and disadvantages of C++ and Java. One of the reasons that the Programming community embraced Java (the former Oak project) was because it used a popular C-type syntax rather than some exotic new syntax with a high-learning (and low initial productivity) curve.

Univeral Networking Language (UNL): this has been a project for many years. Several papers on it, but I've really never seen anybody really embrace it.

Esperanto: started in the 70s. I did quite a bit of research on it in the 90s. But it was primarily successful for the speakers of the Western European languages that it was based on.

Controlled Technical Writing/International Communication languages: See my Controlled Languages web page on this topic (http://www.geocities.com/controlledlanguage/). These forms of standardized language have been successful in a few situations, but only when adequate upfront investment with regard to training and support of the users is conducted. Otherwise, the users revert back to their traditional way of writing. My many articles and conference presentations available at that page provide more information about these cases.

Pidgin/Creole languages: Pidgin languages are a form of languages that allow speakers of many different languages to communicate together, and when children are brought up in a pidginophone context, they usually create the first generation of creole speakers. See my Creole Languages page (http://www.geocities.com/creolelangs/) for into on this. The Journal of Pidgin and Creole Languages is the leading publication in the field.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/controlledlanguage/

[Edited at 2004-12-29 12:59]
Collapse

A Giridhar RAO
A Giridhar RAO
Local time: 15:32
English to Esperanto
+ ...
Esperanto, a Western Language? Nov 20, 2004

Jeff Allen wrote:

Esperanto: started in the 70s. I did quite a bit of research on it in the 90s. But it was primarily successful for the speakers of the Western European languages that it was based on.

Started in the 70s? How do you mean? The first Esperanto publication appeared in 1887! Do have a look at "An Update on Esperanto" at http://www.uea.org/info/angle/an_ghisdatigo.html

As for its Western-European-ness, please read the Swiss novelist (in Esperanto) Claude Piron's essay, "Esperanto, a Western Language?" at http://www.geocities.com/c_piron/westernlanguage.html

Regards

Giridhar
Hyderabad
India

Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Syeda Tanbira Zaman
English to Assamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The golden triangle Nov 21, 2004

Krys Bottrill wrote:

Seadeta Osmani wrote:
My first steps into Hindi
Seadeta

It's come at a perfect time for me. I'm off on Tuesday for a week's holiday visiting Delhi, Agra, Jaipur and Fatepur Sikri

The places you would be visiting is known as the golden triangle in the tourism map of India.

A few hindi phrases that might come handy:

Nehin (No)
Ha (Yes)
Ji ha(Yes sir)
Kya (What)
Kahan (Where)
Kab (When)
Yeh (This)
Woh (That)
Yahan (Here)
Wahan(There)
Khana (food)
Dijiye(Give)
Lijiye(Take)
Yeh Kitneki hein (How much is this)
Yeh bohot mahenga hein (This is very costly)
Ganda (Dirty)
Accha hein(Good)
Accha nehin hein (Not good)
Mujhe nehin chaahiye (I dont want)
Chale jao (Go away)
Mujhe Tang mat karo (Do not disturb me )
Mein police ko bulaaungi ( I will call the police)
Shukriya (Thank you)
Aap bahot acche hein (You are very nice)
Accha, Ab chalte hein(I am leaving now/goodbye)
Phir milenge (See you gain)

That will do I hope.

[Edited at 2004-11-21 15:46]

Krys Williams
Krys Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Polish to English
+ ...
Shukriya! Nov 21, 2004

Syeda Tanbira Zaman wrote:
That will do I hope.

Thank you very much, Syeda.

Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
Wonderful! Nov 21, 2004

Syeda Tanbira Zaman wrote:
A few hindi phrases that might come handy

Thank you so much!!

Helmet80
Helmet80
Spanish to English
+ ...
One language with 300 million words Dec 1, 2004

The idea of one world language is an unrealistic proposition: can you imagine how many words would be in it to describe EVERYTHING on God's green Earth? All customs, flora and fauna, social classes/castes (which normally have an acceptable translation from country to country but rarely hit the mark with any real exactitude).. I could go on! It would either bring about a world uniformity (which would then lead to unrest) or, due to the phenomenon of linguistic evolution, many speakers in differen... See more
The idea of one world language is an unrealistic proposition: can you imagine how many words would be in it to describe EVERYTHING on God's green Earth? All customs, flora and fauna, social classes/castes (which normally have an acceptable translation from country to country but rarely hit the mark with any real exactitude).. I could go on! It would either bring about a world uniformity (which would then lead to unrest) or, due to the phenomenon of linguistic evolution, many speakers in different parts of the world would only use the words relevant to them, which would create dialects first metamorphising vocabulary, then semantics, then grammar, then after a few hundred years we would all be back to needing translators and interpreters! One world language would be, paradoxically, a second Tower of Babel.

Also it would put us all out of work.
Collapse

Jaakko
Jaakko
Local time: 13:02
English to Finnish
+ ...
Whims of the masses vs. experts Dec 2, 2004

And where has it led us that we have no qualms in changing the natural environment inherited by us.... Read the State of the World by Worldwatch Institute and try to imagine what would happen if we give the right to define what kind of language is used to people who are scientifically inclined and rational....

It is always better to follow the whims of the masses than give things in the hands of experts (who too often are the ones defining what an expert is.... and control-freak man
... See more
And where has it led us that we have no qualms in changing the natural environment inherited by us.... Read the State of the World by Worldwatch Institute and try to imagine what would happen if we give the right to define what kind of language is used to people who are scientifically inclined and rational....

It is always better to follow the whims of the masses than give things in the hands of experts (who too often are the ones defining what an expert is.... and control-freak maniacs who have lost their common sense when specializing).

Jaakko
Collapse

Jeff Skinner
Jeff Skinner  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Let's not misinterpret the goals of a universal language! Dec 15, 2004

People like Ludwig Zamenhof, the inventor of Esperanto, do not create universal languages with the intent of replacing all other human languages completely and forever. They do it with the intent of providing what is (one hopes) an easily learned tool that is simple to use in order to facilitate communication between people who speak different languages.

And, since a universal language (if simple enough to use and learn) is meant to be used *in addition to* one's native language, it
... See more
People like Ludwig Zamenhof, the inventor of Esperanto, do not create universal languages with the intent of replacing all other human languages completely and forever. They do it with the intent of providing what is (one hopes) an easily learned tool that is simple to use in order to facilitate communication between people who speak different languages.

And, since a universal language (if simple enough to use and learn) is meant to be used *in addition to* one's native language, it therefore creates more potential for bilingualism among people - and a greater awareness of what it means to be a translator, an interpreter, or both! Why would any self-respecting translator or interpreter want our skills and our craft to remain a mystery to the outside world?

Just a few thoughts from a (lapsed) Esperantist.

[Edited at 2004-12-15 16:01]
Collapse

A Giridhar RAO
A Giridhar RAO
English to Esperanto
+ ...
Zamenhof Day Dec 15, 2004

Jeff Skinner wrote:

A particularly apt thought for the 15th of December -- the 145th birth anniversary of Zamenhof! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamenhof).

Regards from the warm South

Giridhar
Hyderabad
India

Jeff Skinner
Jeff Skinner  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Quite a coincidence! Dec 23, 2004

No kidding! I didn't even know that. How cool!

John Pilgrim
John Pilgrim
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Unity in Diversity Apr 28, 2005

A single universal auxiliary language is not only necessary, it is inevitable. Around the 1900s diplomatis, intelligentsia, etc all had to learn French. Now everybody is learning English. Because humanity has an overwhelming urge to communicate and overcome the barriers, natural and unnatural, that we find dividing us.

But a universal auxiliary language will be just that. Auxiliary. A helping language in addition to our own native tongues. We will all be bilingual. Look at the Dutch
... See more
A single universal auxiliary language is not only necessary, it is inevitable. Around the 1900s diplomatis, intelligentsia, etc all had to learn French. Now everybody is learning English. Because humanity has an overwhelming urge to communicate and overcome the barriers, natural and unnatural, that we find dividing us.

But a universal auxiliary language will be just that. Auxiliary. A helping language in addition to our own native tongues. We will all be bilingual. Look at the Dutch, Scandinavia, many Africans, Indians...etc. All people for whom the idea of an auxiliary language - regional, national or international - is already part of the culture. Whatever the historic reasons for this, they are the vanguard of an inevitable movement, which is part and parcel of a moevement towards world unity. A universal auxiliary language is a necessary part of this because many of the differences and misunderstanidings between us all are either caused or exacerbated by us not being able to communicate and staying within our own language or dialect groups.

I personally do not think the universal auxiliary language has to be artificial. Which language is ultimately chosen will depend more on the maturity of those responsible for choosing it and their ability to overcome national prejudices, or not, as the case may be.

The Esperantists pretty much killed Esperanto's candidacy for this role a hundred years ago by rejecting the changes suggested by both Dr Zamenhof and the 1907 congress held by the 'Delegation for the Adoption of an International Auxiliary Language'. If it changes, maybe it could be considered again. If not, we must look elsewhere.

But one thing is certain: by speaking the same auxiliary language we can at the same time become united while being free to preserve our linguistic and cultural diversity. We must not underestimate the positive power of such a move.

[email protected]
Collapse

kanajlo
kanajlo
Local time: 06:02
Esperanto to English
+ ...
Esperanto is the ANSWER! Nov 30, 2005

A Giridhar RAO wrote:

Jeff Allen wrote:

Started in the 70s? How do you mean? The first Esperanto publication appeared in 1887! Do have a look at "An Update on Esperanto" at http://www.uea.org/info/angle/an_ghisdatigo.html

As for its Western-European-ness, please read the Swiss novelist (in Esperanto) Claude Piron's essay, "Esperanto, a Western Language?" at http://www.geocities.com/c_piron/westernlanguage.html

Regards

Giridhar
Hyderabad
India

Yes, Giridhar! Esperanto is the answer to communication between speakers of mutually unintelligible language groups, or between people who have no two natural languages in common. It _works_, and it respects all cultures and all other languages. It threatens nothing and disrespects no one. Can you say this about English?

bglu0321
bglu0321
English
The SECOND language, not FIRST Oct 4, 2006

Jes. Esperanto's main goal is not to become THE language, the one that everyone speaks, and they drop their own language. It wants to become the SECOND language, so it doesn't cause the such conflict that everyone assumes. If I go to Japan, and I don't know Japanese, there can be Esperanto resources I can use as I learn more Japanese so I can eventually speak it if I plan on living there, or just visitors to a new country. If you don't want to learn the language just to be there for a month, use... See more
Jes. Esperanto's main goal is not to become THE language, the one that everyone speaks, and they drop their own language. It wants to become the SECOND language, so it doesn't cause the such conflict that everyone assumes. If I go to Japan, and I don't know Japanese, there can be Esperanto resources I can use as I learn more Japanese so I can eventually speak it if I plan on living there, or just visitors to a new country. If you don't want to learn the language just to be there for a month, use Esperanto with people. To communicate with someone in Germany as I'd be in the USA, I don't know German, they don't know English, let's use Esperanto.

I think that the second language, auxiliary language should be artificial because it makes it very easy to learn and use. No irregularities and such...
Collapse

Walerij Winnyk (X)
Walerij Winnyk (X)
Ukraine
Local time: 13:02
Chinese to Ukrainian
+ ...
The SECOND will become the ONLY Dec 19, 2006

It wants to become the SECOND language, so it doesn't cause the such conflict that everyone assumes.

It does. Think about other languages that are also SECOND for some people (English, Spanish, Russian, French etc.). This second language then becomes FIRST and then, the ONLY, and many "small" languages disappear or remain undeveloped. One universal language for everyone is the beginning of one uniform culture for all. I don't want this.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Universal Language for the Human Race.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »